Speculation: If not Regier than who?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
not the article I was looking for, I have heard Darcy Regier say himself that he uses statistics as much as anyone, Friedman or LeBrun mention that Buffalo was the first team to use Video Scouting and Advanced Statistics and and heavily into advance statistics. Their are some very successful GM who won't bother with them at all.

I am not saying I am against Advance Stats, what I am saying is that I want a guy who has a real eye for talent, I don't think DR is great as assessing talent.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ced-stats-caught-on-in-the-nhl/article619847/

So because Buffalo uses advanced stats and are playing poorly this year, that somehow equates to:

the teams that rely on advanced stats are often in the bottom half of the league.

lolwut

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So because Buffalo uses advanced stats and are playing poorly this year, that somehow equates to:

lolwut

2013 29th
2012 19th
2011 15th
2010 11th
2009 18th
2008 18th

been inside the top 15 2 times in the least 6 years, 15th and 11th..so yes that equates to bottom half the league

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
2013 29th
2012 19th
2011 15th
2010 11th
2009 18th
2008 18th

been inside the top 15 2 times in the least 6 years, 15th and 11th..so yes that equates to bottom half the league

The TEAMS is what you said. One team using advanced stats doing poorly means absolutely nothing. Until you show other teams who rely on advanced stats having the same trends, you have no basis for an argument.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The TEAMS is what you said. One team using advanced stats doing poorly means absolutely nothing. Until you show other teams who rely on advanced stats having the same trends, you have no basis for an argument.

Calgary, Tampa Bay, Boston, Columbus(Howson) and Buffalo have all been linked as teams that are heavy into advanced statistics, outside of Boston, and Tampa's magical run they haven't had much success, not really sure why I need to have this conversation, my opinion was about how I want a hockey guy who is known to have an eye for talent to be the next general manager and not a numbers guy.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Calgary, Tampa Bay, Boston, Columbus(Howson) and Buffalo have all been linked as teams that are heavy into advanced statistics, outside of Boston and Tampa's magical run they haven't had much success, not really sure why I need to have this conversation, my opinion was about how I want a hockey guy who is known to have an eye for talent to be the next general manager and not a numbers guy.

Boston hasn't had much success? They've been the best team in the conference over the last 2.5 seasons.

Also, Vancouver is very into advanced stats, as are Chicago and Pittsburgh.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Boston hasn't had much success? They've been the best team in the conference over the last 2.5 seasons.

Also, Vancouver is very into advanced stats, as are Chicago and Pittsburgh.

I never said Boston didn't have success, they have been elite for 3 or so years.

Vancouvers team was built before Gillis, Pittsburgh has 2 superstar players who will make any team a contender, and Chicago I wasen't aware they were big into stats, I don't believe they were with Tallon, Bowman came into a team that had great pieces in place.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Let me put my two cents in for Ron Hextall.

If we are to believe Terry Pegula's statement that the reason for the Sabres' existence is to win the Stanley Cup, then go GET someone who's had a hand in building a Cup winner.

Love or hate him as a player, no one can deny that he was a competitor. Having been Dean Lombardi's "Number 1" in L.A. for years, he's as responsible for building the Kings into the team they are. Plus, earlier in the season when the Sabres were in the dumps, if Hexy saw how the team was doing he'd kick the ass of every Sabre.

That said, I would have no problem if Jim Nill becomes the new GM.

I do NOT want an ex-Sabre as the GM.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Let me put my two cents in for Ron Hextall.

If we are to believe Terry Pegula's statement that the reason for the Sabres' existence is to win the Stanley Cup, then go GET someone who's had a hand in building a Cup winner.

Love or hate him as a player, no one can deny that he was a competitor. Having been Dean Lombardi's "Number 1" in L.A. for years, he's as responsible for building the Kings into the team they are. Plus, earlier in the season when the Sabres were in the dumps, if Hexy saw how the team was doing he'd kick the ass of every Sabre.

That said, I would have no problem if Jim Nill becomes the new GM.

I do NOT want an ex-Sabre as the GM.

So you eliminate Botterill because he's an ex?

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
I think of GM's as big picture and Caaches as day to day.

The GM's catches the fish, and the coach cooks the fish.

The GM Put finds all the puzzle pieces and puts them in a pile, and the coach puts the puzzle together.

The GM buys all the clothes at the mall. The coach chooses the outfits from the closet and does the laundry.

the owner give the GM his Visa card, the GM picks out the produce, Coach makes the soup, captain is the meat that adds a hint of lavor to the broth, and the unwanted hair that is hanging out of the bowl, that is Stafford.

FanboySlayer*

GM Candidates - Who Do You Favor? Burke? Dudley? Roy?

We all thought Lindy was untouchable, he wasn't. I have to believe for my sanity that Regier isn't either.

Burke did a good job overall with the Leafs, he had less there than he'd have taking over the Sabres. All three franchises he managed had better days for his stay.

Dudley is a former Sabre and by all accounts knows talent as well as anybody in the game, he is the ultimate rink rat.

Roy - to me he's a coaching candidate not a GM in waiting.

Any other good candidates? I really think this franchise needs a 'name' guy now not some up and coming assistant GM from another franchise or somebody from the AHL.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Fanboy: I want someone from outside the organization. Preferably someone from a team who had a hand at putting a Stanley Cup winner in place, has put in his time as an assistant, and is ready for a GM position.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I will state again that I prefer either Detroit's Jim Nill or L.A.'s Ron Hextall.

If you HAVE to have Dudley in the organization, make him your top pro scout.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Burke did a good job in Toronto? Heh.

I actually think he did alright. Yes, the Kessel deal was pretty bad, but he took a team devoid of any decent NHL talent and made them somewhat competitive. He also stole Phaneuf for spare parts, signed some good college UFA's (Bozak) and gave the leafs some degree of an identity. Of course they didn't progress fast enough, but I love his aggressiveness and win-at-all-costs mentality (I.e. the Pronger trade). He's definitely the anti-Regier, and I'm cool with that

Karate Johnson*

"I was wonderin' what you twos thought about a guy bein' da GM and da coach, and maybe bringin' back Teddy Nolan" -WGR Caller

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
"I was wonderin' what you twos thought about a guy bein' da GM and da coach, and maybe bringin' back Teddy Nolan" -WGR Caller

Listener call-in is the worst form of radio imaginable. I literally turn off the radio when the start taking calls. If I wanted to listen to idiots talk about something they know nothing about, I'd watch ESPN hockey coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad