Speculation: If not Regier than who?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If we are "rebuilding"... I give Regier 2 more offseasons.

If he is going to pursue another "augmentation"... then I hope he's fired

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
If we are "rebuilding"... I give Regier 2 more offseasons.

If he is going to pursue another "augmentation"... then I hope he's fired

I give credit to DR for some of the good moves he's made, and for Devine drafting as well as he has lately...

BUT

It was Darcy that put this cream puff team together in the first place.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I give credit to DR for some of the good moves he's made, and for Devine drafting as well as he has lately...

BUT

It was Darcy that put this cream puff team together in the first place.

It was Darcy who put the ****** 01-04 teams together, and then turned them into the short lived contender...

I'd like to see if the Darcy who put the ****** 09-12 teams together, can turn them into a contender that can be kept together with Pegula (instead of BTG)...

I'm ok if we fire Regier... won't bother me. But, I'm fine with him staying on board if he plans to rebuild

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
jim-nill-detroit.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hextall and Botterill would be the two likely candidates that I'd like to see the Sabres target if they decide to move on from Regier.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Brian burke/Darcy Regier tandem

http://buffalosabresnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/ever-wonder-why-darcy-regier-finds-it.html

Because they're a pretty tight-knit group, GM's generally don't divulge what happens behind the scenes, but in the following interview Toronto GM Brian Burke divulges a few tidbits about the trade process. And he also calls out Regier by name as one of 10 GM's who often speak in a "different language" when it comes down to discussing a potential trade.

In the segment (10:15-mark) Burke points out that Regier is basically a "good guy," but the type of GM who Burke finds "unreasonable" and "unrealistic" when it comes to the putting a value on his own players. It gets to the point where Burke doesn't even want to "waste an hour going over rosters" with a GM like that.

Beyond Blue & Gold could get interesting if Burke and Regier are working together.

:laugh:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
+1 for Brian Burke, if only for the sheer entertainment of him ripping every single Buffalo News writer a new ******* when they try to get a reaction out of him by asking dumb, trolling questions.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
+1 for Brian Burke, if only for the sheer entertainment of him ripping every single Buffalo News writer a new ******* when they try to get a reaction out of him by asking dumb, trolling questions.

Burke as GM
Tortorella as HC

That would be fun. :laugh:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'd like to see if the Darcy who put the ****** 09-12 teams together, can turn them into a contender that can be kept together with Pegula (instead of BTG)...

Wham, Bam, Thank ya, mam!

Imagine if we had Pegula as our owner in 07? Things would've been drastically different, imo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Wham, Bam, Thank ya, mam!

Imagine if we had Pegula as our owner in 07? Things would've been drastically different, imo.

Darcy would be viewed as a top tier GM

Which is why I'd like to see if he could do it again

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Regier needs to go (unless he wanted to make more changes last year and TP vetoed him).

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Darcy would be viewed as a top tier GM

Which is why I'd like to see if he could do it again

And, Lindy Ruff won the Jack Adams before.

The same arguments you are making for Regier staying could have been applied to Ruff.

They both need to be gone.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Brian burke/Darcy Regier tandem

Strangely, I would love a wacky world where this could happen. I know it's not feasible, but they would balance each other so well. Regier is passive, almost to a fault, and Burke is aggressive, almost stupidly so. If you could take the best qualities of both, though, oh boy...that would be nice.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
And, Lindy Ruff won the Jack Adams before.

The same arguments you are making for Regier staying could have been applied to Ruff.

They both need to be gone.

Great point. If Regier is so capable of being top tier, then why fire a coach who the exact same thing could be said of. Please leave out the message was stale and general sentiment that his 'time here was over', too. If Regier had done his job well, and got the right players, we wouldn't have had to can Ruff(who once again as we forget WAS a good coach).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Nill
Hextall
Gorton
Botterill

Each would be on my short list...

Nowhere near my list: Brian Burke, Scott Howson

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think most GMs around the league are pretty bad. And, I think people naming assistants to other GMs are just guessing/assuming that they will be good. However, there is no evidence of this. For these reasons, my bias is to stick with Darcy for a bit longer. The devil you know.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nill
Hextall
Gorton
Botterill

Each would be on my short list...

Nowhere near my list: Brian Burke, Scott Howson

My stomach just did a turn and not for the better. :help: That would be a horrible choice.

I expressed my displeasure with the Burke idea in other threads. **** Burke.

Hextall and Nill would be the two guys I'm most interested in seeing in Buffalo.

I'm surprised no one has gone full-on Ex-Sabre with Rick Dudley's name in here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad