If Nathan MacKinnon scores 30-35 points in playoffs...

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
If Nathan MacKinnon scores 30-35 points in playoffs, wins the Conn Smythe, and wins the Stanley Cup, would you rank him ahead of Connor McDavid as #1 player in the NHL?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Someone already scored 35 points and won the cup last year, and we still consider McDavid #1
He didn't win Conn Smythe though. And I don't think most people would rank that player ahead of MacKinnon.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Switch them spots and we'll see how many points MacKinnon puts up...
0 right now because he would be out of the playoffs like Mcdavid, but he would have played better and scored more points than Mcdavid did on a poorly created oilers team. Mcdavid is the best regular season player hands down but has a long way to go and a lot to prove before you can say he’s better than Mackinnon in the playoffs which overall makes these two players closer than most would like to admit!

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
0 right now because he would be out of the playoffs like Mcdavid, but he would have played better and scored more points than Mcdavid did on a poorly created oilers team. Mcdavid is the best regular season player hands down but has a long way to go and a lot to prove before you can say he’s better than Mackinnon in the playoffs which overall makes these two players closer than most would like to admit!

Can you tell me how many points MacK put up on a bad Colorado team? Is it a coincidence that he's taken off ever since he's been on a stacked team playing on a line that is perfectly suited to cover up his warts and allow him to excel? Put Makar/Girard on McDavid's backend and a player as good as Landeskog as his 2nd winger and we'll see how many points he puts up lmao.

Reactions: Future GOAT

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can you tell me how many points MacK put up on a bad Colorado team? Is it a coincidence that he's taken off ever since he's been on a stacked team playing on a line that is perfectly suited to cover up his warts and allow him to excel? Put Makar/Girard on McDavid's backend and a player as good as Landeskog as his 2nd winger and we'll see how many points he puts up lmao.

That line was garbage before Duchene got traded, really the whole team was garbage, that included Landeskog and Rantanen. If you actually watched the games in the 2017-18 season you'd see Landy and Rants getting tap-ins and the easiest assists of their life because Mack was doing 95% of the work for the first half the season. It wasn't until Mack literally dragged that team out of the basement and it became his team that the rest of the players pulled their heads out of their asses and started playing.

Mack gets the luxury of benefiting with great players now, but if he didn't carry the team after Duchene got traded the Avs would look drastically than they do now. This isn't a knock on McDavid because he's been doing that since he's joined the league, but you act like Mack was gifted two all-star linemates. The 2016-17 season Landeskog had 33 pts and Rantanen had 38 points, Mack wasn't much better at 53 pts, but that's still acceptable production for a top 6 forward. Landy and Rants were playing like 3rd liners for a good while.

Also, Mack has been the best player on the ice in every playoff series he's been in. McDavid hasn't even been the best player on his team 2/3 playoffs.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Not sure how you can really think that MacKinnon is better than McDavid if you've simply watched both of them play.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not sure how you can really think that MacKinnon is better than McDavid if you've simply watched both of them play.

I've watched them both play in the playoffs, which is another league than the regular season altogether. This forum has an obsession with points. What I care about is which player is gonna increase my team's chances of winning when it really matters. The goal is to win the cup. Not saying MacKinnon is the better player, but their respective track records in the playoffs doesn't make the choice that simple. One is more proven in the playoffs. The other has the potential to be better in the playoffs.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kucherov has scored 45 points in his last 31 playoff games, I've never seen McDavid do anything as impressive. As for the question, yes, MacKinnon's 34 points in 19 games is also significantly better.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
30-35 points is nothing too special. I mean it would be a Conn Smythe, and likely a pretty strong one - but that's it.

We all know McDavid is the better player. Like - I doubt anyone truly doesn't think so. It comes down to if MacKinnon should be called better because he steps up more in playoffs than McDavid. To me - that's only the case if he does something historically significant. Have him win a conn smythe not with 30 points - but with 40+.

If MacKinnon can do ~40+ points with a smythe? Sure - I'll call him best in the world based on that accomplishment.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I always say the best player in the playoffs, is the best player of the year. If I were to pick and choose a team for next year and was able to pick one player, I'd start by picking Mcdavid over Mackinnon regardless if that happened or not.
My #1's over the past few years:
2017: Karlsson
2018: Kuznetsov
2019: O'Reilly
2020: Point

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

He put up 196 points in 156 games as well as 19 points in 18 playoff games on a team that barely squeaked into the playoffs as the 8th place seed in back to back years. Those teams were not stacked whatsoever.

For the record, I'm not saying MacKinnon > McDavid but what you're saying is flat out wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad