If Nathan MacKinnon scores 30-35 points in playoffs...

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I perfectly understand if someone prefers 4-point games against Ottawa and Vancouver to playoff success.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Mcdavid is the most talented player in the world no question but in the big moments hr crumbles. Not just lack of production either.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
McDavid has no answer for post season hockey. Give me big MacDaddy for the post season when the games actually matter

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
lol 105 pts in 56 games isn't quite as impressive guys.

If it turns out that McDavid perennially underperforms in the playoffs relative to regular season, and another superstar perennially outperforms in the playoffs relative to the regular season, and in excess of McDavid, then yes, that regular season stat isn't quite (still amazingly so) impressive.

However it is far too early to say. Like, years and years too early.

I will reiterate what I've said many times. Lol, also, I remember a few years ago people mocked me when I talked about MacKinnon being a better centre than Nico Hischier... I was also told Hischier is a natural centre, and MacKinnon isn't, and wasn't drafted as one... Wut? Obviously this ridiculous stuff was said before MacKinnon cemented himself as a top star player. I also said when Drouin was a mid 2nd round pick on mock drafts --
Side note: funny how every poster here has the same friggin mock draft as each other with one or two small variations here and there of spots... how is it that I am the only one to have giant differences? In hindsight mock drafts always have a lot right and wrong, how is it that almost everyone universally has almost the exact same right picks and wrong picks as everyone else? Maybe I'm just an idiot who sometimes gets lucky and unlucky when I make picks that differ from consensus. Maybe the reason why almost everyone has such similar picks is because they all watch tens of thousands of hours of non-nhl hockey and all have keen, very very similar, expert-level eyes for the game and based on what players have shown at that point, their picks make the most sense and are the best based on what we've seen so far, and they all end up picking the same, and I'm the one trash heap amateur scout who doesn't watch enough non-nhl hockey and sees many things different. I'm just amazed a lot of people don't have really different impressions.

Anyway, when Drouin was a mid-2nd rder, I said he's better at the QMJHL level than MacKinnon (cheating sure helps against inferior opponents), but that MacKinnon plays an NHL game and will be better in the NHL. As the year progressed, people caught up on what they were somehow missing and then started to talk about Drouin in the top-3, which was odd to me, and a complete one extreme (underrate) to the other extreme (overrate) situation. And as stated, I'm an idiot who barely watches outside of the NHL. I'm just shocked all these people who arrive at almost the exact same conclusions for mock drafts didn't have Drouin way higher from the start? They were obviously watching him when I was watching him, and he didn't suddenly get better that year or anything. He was the same player. Obviously everyone must have been watching him if they arrive at such ultra similar conclusions every single year, obviously all these posters don't arrive at the same conclusions by chance. For whatever reason I was able to see what was in front of me, and it was also one of the non-nhl teams I watched most games from. So for me it was pretty obvious. I'm sure I'm the one of the dumbest posters on this site and this is just one case of 2 players on a team I watched a lot that I have seemed to have gotten right. I still can't help but laugh that I was mocked for calling MacKinnon a natural centre though, and the revisionist history saying he never was one, but Hischier is and is way better...

tldr MacKinnon has always been a clutch player. He had 5 points in the memorial cup final game against Seth Jones' powerhouse team. In his rookie season when the Avs made the playoffs, he had 3 points in his first ever playoff game that year, and 4 points in his second. 7 pts in his first 2 games. He ended the series with 10 points in 7 games, and the avs were getting crushed and suffocated in a lot of that series.

His best has come out of him when it's all on the line, and in the playoffs since his midget days or before, it carried over in a major way into the major juniours, and it's been there his whole NHL career from year 1. It's still here.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I would have responded saying you clearly don't know what you're talking about, but odds are you just wanted to troll
Id expect nothing less; dont provide anything to argue and instead insult the poster personally before youve even had a conversation with them

but sure, entertain me and argue Kucherov over MacKinnon; I could use a good laugh

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Id expect nothing less; dont provide anything to argue and instead insult the poster personally before youve even had a conversation with them

but sure, entertain me and argue Kucherov over MacKinnon; I could use a good laugh
I never compared Kucherov and MacKinnon, you are the one who out of nowhere decided to assert that Kucherov doesn't have the ability to take over games.

At the end of the day, currently one of these players is on trackk for the HHOF and one isn't, so does it really matter who is the second-best after McDavid?

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I never compared Kucherov and MacKinnon, you are the one who out of nowhere decided to assert that Kucherov doesn't have the ability to take over games.

At the end of the day, currently one of these players is on trackk for the HHOF and one isn't, so does it really matter who is the second-best after McDavid?
You responded 'lol' to me saying Kucherov can never tilt the ice the way MacKinnon does

so either argue that point or dont quote me again

Reactions: Krewe

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
The solution is obviously to have two seperate rankings, one for each of the regular season and playoffs. McDavid is obviously number one in the regular season, whereas he falls down to somewhere between Pageau and Auston Matthews in the playoffs. Kucherov and MacKinnon will have to battle it out to lead that ranking.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012

I'd like to hear the argument either (Kucherov or MacKinnon) is not on track for HHOF....

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm a Jets fan but if he played for Colorado they wouldn't be behind 3-0. :laugh:

Well, yeah, most probably they wouldn't.

I just don't agree with the narrative that McDavid should be immune to criticism. Edmonton finished ahead of Winnipeg in the regular season. Even if McDavid was the main reason for that, it's obvious Edmonton as a whole was good enough to finish higher, and thus should have been able to beat them in the playoffs or at the very least not get swept.

When you're up 4-3, you've put yourself in a position to win, regardless of how much your teammates stink. In game 4 overtime, McDavid made the right decision in trying to get that puck deep with his linemates changing. But this time, the execution on said play wasn't there. It's not a big deal, but it's on him regardless.

If whipping boy Kris Russell made those two plays, he would single handedly be blamed for the Oilers quick elimination.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Here is what Mac did last year when both Rants and Landy were injured:

NHL Stats

PPG of 1.69

Here is how the season ended last year:

NHL Stats

Mac - 93 points

Next best scorer - 50 points

Landy - 44 points
Rants - 41 points

There is no reason at all to presume that Mac couldn't produce the same on the Oilers or that McDavid produces more on the Avs.

Their playoff numbers speak for themselves. That McDavid's offensive strengths are more effective in the regular season until proven otherwise should come as no surprise. If he is as great as his regular season #'s indicate, he should be able to find a way to be the best playoff player of his era. That Mac is one of those players who steps up their game when the pressure increases should come as no surprise given his track record since major junior.

This absolutely should close the gap between the two as players. Think Guy Lafleur or Mark Messier vs. Marcel Dionne.

Reactions: Kschey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->