If Marc-Andre Fleury wins the Vezina in 2021, will he make the Hall of Fame?

If Marc-Andre Fleury wins the Vezina in 2021, will he make the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don’t really value longevity with just slightly above average players so I would not vote for him unless he at least got 3rd in this years vezina voting. He isn’t even as good as my favorite goalie Corey Crawford objectively when you look at the stats and Corey doesn’t belong in the hall. The only thing he has going for him is he played a very long time.

fluery
Reg season
.912 2.68 GAA
Playoffs
.908 2.65 GAA

Those arent hall of fame numbers in this era.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not a huge fan of the idea. A guy like Lundqvist was a much better goalie on a less successful team and I wonder if he'll be able to get in. MAF has improved his numbers on Vegas, but one Vezina caliber season doesn't change a history of average netminding. MAF played 13 seasons for Pittsburgh and wasn't top 5 in Vezina voting once until he was picked up by Vegas. Much like how Chicago won with Antti Niemi, those teams were just great. He was a part of the team that won the cup, but he wasn't the reason they won. Even back when I followed Iggy's run with the Pens he lost the starting role in the playoffs to 36 year old Tomas Vokoun in what should have been his prime years because he posted a .883 sv% and 3.51 GAA with 17 goals against on 145 shots in 5 games against the juggernaut Islanders...

HOF should be reserved for the greatest players of all time and MAF just isn't up to par with that. He'd need to close out his career in dominating fashion for me to really consider it. Not to mention for all of the hate the North division has gotten this year for the offensive numbers young talents are putting up, you only have to look at the teams in Vegas's division for a split second to realize half those teams are rebuilding and non-contenders with relatively little offensive fire power when compared to the other divisions. Feels like too little too late for me.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
It's also worth noting how strict the hall tends to be with goalies. Take someone like Vachon for instance, he had 3 Stanley cups, a Vezina, a Canada Cup(in which he was named mvp), a Hart finalist on one occasion(was beat out by Clarke but finished ahead of Orr) and was a three time 2nd team all star. He still had to wait 30 years.

Last edited:

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
The HHOF is slow to admit goalies. Isn't it something like one goalie every 4 or 5 years over the last few decades? Goalies have a harder time getting in, it seems. So that's the baseline.

Now, I like MAF. And he has a lot of team hardware (Cups, gold medal). And if he wins a Vezina this year, I think it would be a capper that went a long way to making his case. But I really don't understand all the people that think he's a lock right now.

Zero Vezina nominations to date (never mind wins). Zero 1st or 2nd team All-star finishes. Zero Conn Smythes.

I'm not trying to run him down. But that all kind of works against his case, given other goalies he overlapped with have a lot more to show in those personal achievement categories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad