If Makar and Josi switched teams, who would put up more points?

More points: Josi on the Avs or Makar on the Preds?

• Josi on the Avs

Votes: 124 72.9%
  • Makar on the Preds

Votes: 46 27.1%

• Total voters

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Nope but the players hes with aren't as skilled or good as the ones Makar is with. Thus they will get the puck less.

That sounds a lot like an assumption. I'm not saying that it's not true or that you're wrong, but this is an argument being thrown around a lot and I can't remember ever seeing a person actually back it up with facts.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Makar for sure. Josi is basically Erik Karlsson, focal point of the Nashville offense, so that generates a lot of points. There's only one puck and it's not like they don't have finishers. Makar would surpass that given the same opportunities due to superior talent.

For most of Josi's career he's what people stereotype Karlsson to be. An one dimensional offensive Dman. He's improved his defensive play significantly since 2017-2018 though.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You could argue for most/several at least top 10 dmen would put up more points on the Avs than Makar would on their team imo

Maybe not top 10 but top 5-7 sure there's an argument to be made, and that's with him still being the best dman in the league offensively (individually). Avs are a powerhouse though. Like I've always said, Makar is the perfect player on the perfect team at the right time. He is as perfect of a fit as it gets in Colorado

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know why Josi puts up one huge year and everyone thinks it's a repeatable norm but Makar steadily improves and still nearly beats Josi's career year and people mark him down somehow.

Also people are pretending Josi has no support and Makar has all the support but the top 5 scorers for each team finished as thus:
96, 86, 84, 64, 63
92, 88, 87, 86, 61

It's Makar in all situations going forward, independent of team.

But this thread was a predictable response to Makar's Norris due to....fan reaction in other threads. Get used to it, Avs fans. That's how you know he's great.

Reactions: wetcoast

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I don't know why Josi puts up one huge year and everyone thinks it's a repeatable norm but Makar steadily improves and still nearly beats Josi's career year and people mark him down somehow.

Also people are pretending Josi has no support and Makar has all the support but the top 5 scorers for each team finished as thus:
96, 86, 84, 64, 63
92, 88, 87, 86, 61

It's Makar in all situations going forward, independent of team.

But this thread was a predictable response to Makar's Norris due to....fan reaction in other threads. Get used to it, Avs fans. That's how you know he's great.

Lol wut. Nobody actually thinks Josi will do produce like that next year, let alone a "repeatable norm" You're yelling at clouds here. Regardless, it's not surprising that people are talking about the most productive season in what, 30 years, by a defenseman who's been one of the most productive for the last 10 seasons. People taking that into account is not somehow Makar being marked down.

Framing Makar as "nearly beating Josi's career year" seems awfully generous no? We're talking 10 points not 2 or 3.

Maybe my favorite part of the high level discourse in these Josi-Makar discussions, is how much respect the Nashville skaters, in particular the forwards, receive. It's such a breath of fresh air after being such walking punchlines for years. Looking forward to the preseason rankings so we can see them back where they belong. People out here actually bending over backwards in these threads to say Nashville is underrated :laugh: It's not slight to say Makar has a clearly superior team around him, just a fact that people will most certainly take into account when comparing them.

Lastly threads like this creating hypotheticals that essentially come down to have 0% chance of ever happening, are totally pointless. It just creates somehow even lower quality discussion which can seem hard to do on the internet. I feel confident in saying that most Preds fans in tune with this season will say that Makar is a better defenseman. Better this year? Obviously it was pretty close, seems like a coin-flip depending on who you ask.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Makar is better offensively than Josi, so I voted for him.

You can certainly argue that Josi just had the better season offensively - but I have a lot more faith in Makar repeating/improving on his season than Josi, for whom it was a career year he probably doesn't near again

I agree with this and also while Makar did play with better players there was still only 1 puck on the ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lol wut. Nobody actually thinks Josi will do produce like that next year, let alone a "repeatable norm" You're yelling at clouds here. Regardless, it's not surprising that people are talking about the most productive season in what, 30 years, by a defenseman who's been one of the most productive for the last 10 seasons. People taking that into account is not somehow Makar being marked down.

Framing Makar as "nearly beating Josi's career year" seems awfully generous no? We're talking 10 points not 2 or 3.

Maybe my favorite part of the high level discourse in these Josi-Makar discussions, is how much respect the Nashville skaters, in particular the forwards, receive. It's such a breath of fresh air after being such walking punchlines for years. Looking forward to the preseason rankings so we can see them back where they belong. People out here actually bending over backwards in these threads to say Nashville is underrated :laugh: It's not slight to say Makar has a clearly superior team around him, just a fact that people will most certainly take into account when comparing them.

Lastly threads like this creating hypotheticals that essentially come down to have 0% chance of ever happening, are totally pointless. It just creates somehow even lower quality discussion which can seem hard to do on the internet. I feel confident in saying that most Preds fans in tune with this season will say that Makar is a better defenseman. Better this year? Obviously it was pretty close, seems like a coin-flip depending on who you ask.

Let me put it this way

Outside this offensively-wild season, Josi's career pace is 54 points per 82, and Makar's is 79 points per 82.
Including this season, Josi is at 58, Makar is at 83

Yeah it's hypotheticals and that's going to lead to goofy discussion but people are talking about Josi as if he's always this season's version, he's clearly not, and Makar clearly is. There's no world, imho, that a team difference makes up a 25 point gap between their usual offensive talents.

Better?

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
96, 86, 84, 64, 63
92, 88, 87, 86, 61

Damn, I thought Josi's teammates were crap and didn't want the puck..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad