If Makar and Josi switched teams, who would put up more points?

More points: Josi on the Avs or Makar on the Preds?

• Josi on the Avs

Votes: 124 72.9%
  • Makar on the Preds

Votes: 46 27.1%

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Makar is better offensively than Josi, so I voted for him.

You can certainly argue that Josi just had the better season offensively - but I have a lot more faith in Makar repeating/improving on his season than Josi, for whom it was a career year he probably doesn't near again

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Josi on the Avs but the Avs become a worse team. Watch Makar when he's holding his defensive blueline. He's so stupidly good at darting forward to intercept a pass. So stupidly good at getting pucks up ice to players in stride.

It's possible that Makar changes his game in Nashville to play a riskier style and put up more points, but that wouldn't make him better.

Reactions: Foppberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Makar is better offensively than Josi, so I voted for him.

You can certainly argue that Josi just had the better season offensively - but I have a lot more faith in Makar repeating/improving on his season than Josi, for whom it was a career year he probably doesn't near again
I'm a Preds fan and I agree with this.

I'd also say though, Josi playing with Toews and all those forwards would be pretty awesome. While I do like Fabbro, he's not Toews. Saros does help balance it though.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
"Dany Heatley will score 60 next to Thornton". Or who had Laine having his 1st ppg season playing next to Boone Jenner after leaving Winnipeg?
Not going to discredit Josi because he is a hell of a defenseman but Makar is a major part of what makes Colorado tick not just their forwards propping up his offensive numbers.
Josi going to Colorado is far from a guarentee to increase his numbers, they could easily go down on a better team with more depth

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
"Dany Heatley will score 60 next to Thornton". Or who had Laine having his 1st ppg season playing next to Boone Jenner after leaving Winnipeg?
Not going to discredit Josi because he is a hell of a defenseman but Makar is a major part of what makes Colorado tick not just their forwards propping up his offensive numbers.
Josi going to Colorado is far from a guarentee to increase his numbers, they could easily go down on a better team with more depth
I wasn't saying that at all, not that you directed that at me, just wanted to be clear. I do think being on a team that scored 46 more goals would have had to help some, on the same token, there's only one puck, right.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
He is. But a majority of the Avs forwards were already elite/really good before Makar even emerge onto the scene

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I dunno. Without elite talent up front, Makar probably shoulders a lot more of the load and takes over offensively. With just MacKinnon out he basically took over. If all he had was Duchene?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He'd probably have less offensive opportunity, because Nashville doesn't draw nearly as many penalties as Colorado, and he'd have way less weapons on the PP as well.

Josi would score more points, just off the extreme difference in powerplays and penalties drawn.

He would easily be the teams best offensive option.

He paced for 90 points on a team with tons of offensive talent.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Imagine Josi getting to feed passes to MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri ect ect all night. I still think Makar is overall the better player but Josi would have put up stupid numbers on that team with the way he played this year
It's not so simple though. In Colorado Josi would be asked to be more responsible and cut down the offensive gambles. The offense wouldn't run through him nearly as much as it did for the Preds either.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
It's not so simple though. In Colorado Josi would be asked to be more responsible and cut down the offensive gambles. The offense wouldn't run through him nearly as much as it did for the Preds either.
And on Nashville Makar would have the entire other team focusing on shutting him down, rather than having guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen taking away some of the focus. So it goes both ways.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
And on Nashville Makar would have the entire other team focusing on shutting him down, rather than having guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen taking away some of the focus. So it goes both ways.
Another thing to consider is that Makar clearly focuses more on defense and his overall game, despite having the best offensive toolset out of all the Dmen. Would he change his approach in Nashville and start taking more chances, nobody knows.

It's possible both would have scored less this season if they flipped teams.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Makar, because he would have more offensive opportunities.

Is that really the case though? I mean, it's not like he's held back on the Avs. I could see this being true for a D that's held to secondary PP minutes, for example. But Makar is the Avs' #1 offensive choice in all situations.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Makar for sure. Josi is basically Erik Karlsson, focal point of the Nashville offense, so that generates a lot of points. There's only one puck and it's not like they don't have finishers. Makar would surpass that given the same opportunities due to superior talent.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Josi on the Avs or Makar on the Preds?
Makar is better.

Is that really the case though? I mean, it's not like he's held back on the Avs. I could see this being true for a D that's held to secondary PP minutes, for example. But Makar is the Avs' #1 offensive choice in all situations.

Not true. Between the forwards, and Toews, Makar has a lot of 3rd assists on the Avs.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

There is still MackInnon, Rantanen, Kadri and Landeskog among others who need the puck.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
There is still MackInnon, Rantanen, Kadri and Landeskog among others who need the puck.

That's a weird argument. Josi is not on the ice by himself.

The same question remains. Can we point to any player where we've seen that this is how it works?

Not true. Between the forwards, and Toews, Makar has a lot of 3rd assists on the Avs.

And on Nashville there's never more than two passes or what? What you're saying is true for basically every player that plays a lot of offense. Or can you show any statistic where Makar is way ahead in 3rd assists?

Reactions: RapidKnight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's a weird argument. Josi is not on the ice by himself.

The same question remains. Can we point to any player where we've seen that this is how it works?

And on Nashville there's never more than two passes or what? What you're saying is true for basically every player that plays a lot of offense. Or can you show any statistic where Makar is way ahead in 3rd assists?

Nope but the players hes with aren't as skilled or good as the ones Makar is with. Thus they will get the puck less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad