If Mac T gets a 2C, then what do you do?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Whats it going to change? Not much I would agree.

But what it would do is hopefully throw some accountability on these players. Maybe the organization would show that this is unacceptable and some players may kickstart there game?

At this point, I would agree it wouldn't change a lot. But any positive change at this point is a change that needs to be done.

Even overpay in a trade of prospects or picks in order to get a legit 2nd line center. Ask the Islanders how that has worked for them.

There is no chance the Oilers would pay 2 2nd's and a 3rd for 1 year of Boychuck. This is the whole problem.

Trading Gagner didn't do anything, trading Smid didn't do anything, adding veterans in Nikitin, Fayne, Purcell and Pouliot didn't do anything... roster changes aren't going to change anything about this team. It's not that players aren't trying, it's that the coach isn't putting players in a position to succeed and the results are predictable. Here's an example: with Kreuger running the PP Eberle was absolutely money playing down low to the net, so what does Eakins do? Puts him on the point. Yakupov had success as a rookie on the PP playing on the wall so what does Eakins do? You guessed it, he puts him on the point. That's just a couple examples of a coach clearly not understanding what his players are good at. He is trying to fit players into a role they aren't suited to. Time to get a coach who will create a system to fit what he does have. There is a real disconnect between what the GM is doing and what the coach is doing and that needs to be remedied. It's easier to try again on the coaching front than it is to replace the bulk of the players. Just have to hope that when mctavish pulls the trigger he does a better job selecting the next coach.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Trading Gagner didn't do anything, trading Smid didn't do anything, adding veterans in Nikitin, Fayne, Purcell and Pouliot didn't do anything... roster changes aren't going to change anything about this team. It's not that players aren't trying, it's that the coach isn't putting players in a position to succeed and the results are predictable. Here's an example: with Kreuger running the PP Eberle was absolutely money playing down low to the net, so what does Eakins do? Puts him on the point. Yakupov had success as a rookie on the PP playing on the wall so what does Eakins do? You guessed it, he puts him on the point. That's just a couple examples of a coach clearly not understanding what his players are good at. He is trying to fit players into a role they aren't suited to. Time to get a coach who will create a system to fit what he does have. There is a real disconnect between what the GM is doing and what the coach is doing and that needs to be remedied. It's easier to try again on the coaching front than it is to replace the bulk of the players. Just have to hope that when mctavish pulls the trigger he does a better job selecting the next coach.

1. Can't argue. They moved a roster player for roster player. Nothing changed
2. They moved a NHL dman for prospects (one being a 5ft 10 160 pound center)- Brutal
3. Nikitin and Fayne- I would argue they have been the teams best two defencemen this year. Its an imporvement over Aulie or Hunt all season.
4. Trust me- I am on the exact same page as you with respects to the coaching staff. The guy is the worst coach this team has had in years.
5.However I completley disagree with you that roster moves don't have to be made. They have a 19yr old 2nd line center. They have a brutal defence core (coaching doesnt change that). Every guy is still 150 pounds. Coaching doesnt change that.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I can buy, barely, that they would start the season and see how Drai and Arco did, but at this point, unless you're writing off the season yet again, can't you see they need some immediate help at center?

Obviously a #1 D-man is the biggest need for this team, but in terms of something that should be manageable, we've got the assets to trade straight up or combine for a 2C.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
1. Can't argue. They moved a roster player for roster player. Nothing changed
2. They moved a NHL dman for prospects (one being a 5ft 10 160 pound center)- Brutal
3. Nikitin and Fayne- I would argue they have been the teams best two defencemen this year. Its an imporvement over Aulie or Hunt all season.
4. Trust me- I am on the exact same page as you with respects to the coaching staff. The guy is the worst coach this team has had in years.
5.However I completley disagree with you that roster moves don't have to be made. They have a 19yr old 2nd line center. They have a brutal defence core (coaching doesnt change that). Every guy is still 150 pounds. Coaching doesnt change that.

It's not that roster moves don't need to be made, it's that the idea that a roster move will shake things up and get peoples attention. It hasn't happened with the trades made recently, the results as a team remain the same no matter which player have been switched in and out. All I am saying is get a real coach in place first and then assess your roster. Too easy to make a mistake when the coaches are not putting players in a position to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $2,335.00