If Mac T gets a 2C, then what do you do?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
At this point, though I'm frustrated as anyone, I do wonder how many of the problems with this lineup could have been solved with Mac T getting a suitable 2C to play reasonable minutes?

If he can get somebody decent to good, I'm not sure I'd make too many changes for the next 20 games.

Mods, feel free to merge this if you want, but I felt it could use its own thread.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
What is a #2C really going to change? Is it going to make the powerplay better? Is it going to magically get Perron and Pouliot and Purcell to start scoring goals? Is it going to fix the brain dead system the coach likes to try and run? You bring in a #2C and it's not going to change a damn thing about this team, it's still going to frustrate you as a fan because they can't win. For all the crapping on the guy people are doing Arcobello hasn't been that bad, oh sure a better centre might pot a couple more goals and maybe prevent a few more, but when you're regularly losing games by 3 goals or more it's not going to change the fortunes of this team enough. The coach and the system are the #1 problem for this team.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
At this point, though I'm frustrated as anyone, I do wonder how many of the problems with this lineup could have been solved with Mac T getting a suitable 2C to play reasonable minutes?

If he can get somebody decent to good, I'm not sure I'd make too many changes for the next 20 games.

Mods, feel free to merge this if you want, but I felt it could use its own thread.

Basically a What If scenario, sure it would have helped, but where was this outcry 4 months ago, now is not the opportune time to make trades, and the picks of free agents are slim to none,

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'd like to grab another C just to get Draisaitl away from this **** show.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Basically a What If scenario, sure it would have helped, but where was this outcry 4 months ago, now is not the opportune time to make trades, and the picks of free agents are slim to none,
There was outcry over this back in July. A lot of it was muted by the Mactavish apologists who were calling our concerns "noise" and telling us to shut up because it was only July and Mac T still had months to fill out his roster. It would be looked after, there must be something on the way because he is just too smart to go into the season with this non existent center depth.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Question #1 what are we giving up to get a 2nd line C
Question #2 will this guy be a real 2nd line C or will he be a solution like our #1/#2 goalies?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
A top pairing defence man and a 2C is a MUST at this point. The D is a dumpster fire and Leon isn't ready defensively to be a #2C right now, needs to be on the wing.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What is a #2C really going to change? Is it going to make the powerplay better? Is it going to magically get Perron and Pouliot and Purcell to start scoring goals? Is it going to fix the brain dead system the coach likes to try and run? You bring in a #2C and it's not going to change a damn thing about this team, it's still going to frustrate you as a fan because they can't win. For all the crapping on the guy people are doing Arcobello hasn't been that bad, oh sure a better centre might pot a couple more goals and maybe prevent a few more, but when you're regularly losing games by 3 goals or more it's not going to change the fortunes of this team enough. The coach and the system are the #1 problem for this team.

Exactly this.

A #2C isn't going to make much of a difference at this point. It's obvious this team has bigger issues than that. Clear coaches and management first. I honestly think our player material is good enough to be fighting for a playoff spot, 2C or not. There's no reason we should be this bad but for incompetent management/coaching.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
an ideal trade would be to florida for brian campbell and scottie upshall.

both big contracts sure but Campbell automatically pushes every dman down a spot on the roster. he is a vet d man that can log big minutes. Upshall is automatically better than arcobello. defensively responsible and can hold down the #2 C spot until Leon is ready. Upshall can also play against top comp and reduce the amount we have to use Nuge vs #1's.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Pray that Leon gets sent down. He needs to get stronger physically and he needs to get more comfortable shooting the puck. He can learn that down in the CHL with a ton of knowledge about how his game compares to the pro's and where he needs to improve.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
If MacT gets a 2C, it won't make a lick of difference. The on ice culture just sucks too bad for a new guy to make a difference.

Oct 15, 2008

We need a top pairing defenseman. Maybe two. And a starting goaltender. Mact blew the one commodity he did have (cap space) this summer signing bottom pairing dmen and bottom six forwards. We cant take on any cap dumps, which pretty much leaves us with a whole lot a nuthin come trade deadline.

We have the worst gm in the nhl.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we can get a top pairing Dmen we wouldnt need to worry about C or maybe even goaltending.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
there definitely won't be any quick fix solutions to this dumpster fire. I'd bet nothing would change and that the newly acquired 2C would quickly be infected by the loser culture/management here.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
we need top players that are men and not kids

Andrew Ladd, Eric Staal, or Coburn would be the type of players I would go after.

and Brodeur should be inquired with about being our goalie coach. Perhaps even have him share the backup role with scrivens and move fasth.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
If we get a legit second line center I'll go on a large drinking binge and possibly do a little praying because clearly the sky has fallen and the end is near.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Spot ****ing on. Great post.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
If this 2c is really fit, maybe eakins will strip ferrence of the C so he can finally be benched.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007

Whats it going to change? Not much I would agree.

But what it would do is hopefully throw some accountability on these players. Maybe the organization would show that this is unacceptable and some players may kickstart there game?

At this point, I would agree it wouldn't change a lot. But any positive change at this point is a change that needs to be done.

Even overpay in a trade of prospects or picks in order to get a legit 2nd line center. Ask the Islanders how that has worked for them.

There is no chance the Oilers would pay 2 2nd's and a 3rd for 1 year of Boychuck. This is the whole problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad