Speculation: If Liles gets dealt..

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Be prepared to not like the deal. It'd be different if he was an expiring contract, but he's not. We really need to hope there's a team is high on Colborne in order to get Liles off us. Yes, I know what he brings to the table and what kind of player he is, but it's a pretty big contract for a guy who is pretty much being traded for not making a team.

What do you guys expect to get in return? What about if he was packaged with Colborne? Remember! One of the reasons these guys are being dealt is because they can't get sent down to the AHL without clearing waivers. So we need players that will be able to avoid waivers all together in order to make this trade make sense, unless obviously its part of a bigger deal.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I wonder if we could get even a 7th for Liles even at half the salary retained with the cap as it is right now. People just don't have room. And those that do have room, are generally the teams who don't like spending to the cap.

Colborne I'm also not sure if he carries much value. He hasn't had a stellar training camp and teams may look at him possibly showing up on waivers at some point this year.

Packaged together I think we would also need to retain some salary and in return we get a mid-pick + some project prospect.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
If he and Colbourne are dealt together id like to see if we can get Backlund from Calgary. A young player who has issues but still some upside or a good 4th line center allowing us to move mcclement to 3rd line, where he belongs

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
If he and Colbourne are dealt together id like to see if we can get Backlund from Calgary. A young player who has issues but still some upside or a good 4th line center allowing us to move mcclement to 3rd line, where he belongs

Did you read the post? We don't have the room for Backlund. We'd have to move a lot more then Colborne and Liles to have room for Backlund.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
No one is touching Liles. Call other GM's crazy, but if a player is the 2nd highest paid defeneman on a team and can't crack their line up, they tend to not want to acquire him. Especially with 3 years left on his deal.

It's unfortunate, but Liles will most likely be put on waivers over the weekend and demoted shortly after. It's the only way Rielly will have a spot on the team, assuming Nonis/Carlyle wants him to stick around.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
We could always include a pick to entice teams a bit more. I know it's something we haven't really done but it might be necessary in order to get Liles off the books for next off-season.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Why do we need to bury Liles?

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Mason Raymond ($1.000m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Joe Colborne ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / John-Michael Liles ($3.875m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Cody Franson ($2.000m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)
Paul Ranger ($1.000m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m 0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m 0.1%)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,010,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $258,167

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Mason Raymond ($1.000m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Joe Colborne ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / John-Michael Liles ($3.875m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Cody Franson ($2.000m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)
Paul Ranger ($1.000m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m 0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m 0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,010,833; BONUSES: $1,150,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $258,167

Because he's wasting space. We have other guys who are waiver friendly that can be called up and sent down and can be our 8th d man. Why spend almost 4 million on a guy who will never play??

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Is McLaren starting the season? If both him and Clarkson are out, that 23 man roster only has Colborne as a replacement up front meaning we would be a forward short.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Because he's wasting space. We have other guys who are waiver friendly that can be called up and sent down and can be our 8th d man. Why spend almost 4 million on a guy who will never play??

Who says he'll never play? If Liles wasn't in Nonis plans he could have compliance bought him out and do a normal buyout on Komisarek.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Who says he'll never play? If Liles wasn't in Nonis plans he could have compliance bought him out and do a normal buyout on Komisarek.

Or he could've thought that Rielly might have needed another year of junior which wasn't a sure thing. And who knew what Paul Ranger was going to do? Komisarek needed to go, he's awful. Liles can still play, Komisarek can't. He's not needed when we can play younger guys to do the same thing for a cheaper price.

Avec Fromage*

Did you read the post? We don't have the room for Backlund. We'd have to move a lot more then Colborne and Liles to have room for Backlund.

Backlund's cap hit is $1.5M. I don't think Calgary would want to move him or that there's anywhere on the Leafs' roster for him either. If Liles goes with no sweetener, I expect the return to be a mid-range pick and an expiring bad contract.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's too bad because Liles seems like a great guy, and he is still a good player. Definitely does not deserve to be playing for the Marlies. He is not Komisarek, or Connolly, or Redden.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Backlund's cap hit is $1.5M. I don't think Calgary would want to move him or that there's anywhere on the Leafs' roster for him either. If Liles goes with no sweetener, I expect the return to be a mid-range pick and an expiring bad contract.

Depending on that contract, I think you'd see the Leafs buy that player out, that way they are clear of Liles contract for next year and just have a smaller penalty, and with the other two buy outs of Tucker and Armstrong coming off, it shouldn't be too bad. Obviously depending on the contract.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Or he could've thought that Rielly might have needed another year of junior which wasn't a sure thing. And who knew what Paul Ranger was going to do? Komisarek needed to go, he's awful. Liles can still play, Komisarek can't. He's not needed when we can play younger guys to do the same thing for a cheaper price.

So your logic is because we have younger players we should completely ruin any trade value Liles has by burying him in the minors. Even though we don't really need the cap space. Liles can still play and has a role on this team.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
So your logic is because we have younger players we should completely ruin any trade value Liles has by burying him in the minors. Even though we don't really need the cap space. Liles can still play and has a role on this team.

I'm not saying to bury him in the minors. I'm saying to trade him..

Matter of fact, I'm saying to package him with Colborne and hope we can get a decent return because Liles' contract off our books next year is worth more then Liles play next year.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I wonder if we could get even a 7th for Liles even at half the salary retained with the cap as it is right now. People just don't have room. And those that do have room, are generally the teams who don't like spending to the cap.

Colborne I'm also not sure if he carries much value. He hasn't had a stellar training camp and teams may look at him possibly showing up on waivers at some point this year.

Packaged together I think we would also need to retain some salary and in return we get a mid-pick + some project prospect.

Does he have a NMC? if not wave him send him down to the marlies save 900k...... then look at buying him out next season. It's likely what will happen if he's not able to be moved and tbh I don't think they at this stage have a willing partner.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Does he have a NMC? if not wave him send him down to the marlies save 900k...... then look at buying him out next season. It's likely what will happen if he's not able to be moved and tbh I don't think they at this stage have a willing partner.

He has a limited NTC I believe. However, I think if we told him he's not going to play, he'd want to move..

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

Does he have a NMC? if not wave him send him down to the marlies save 900k...... then look at buying him out next season. It's likely what will happen if he's not able to be moved and tbh I don't think they at this stage have a willing partner. In saying that there is really no need to make a trade right now, Trevor Smith will be a Marlie, Joe Colbourne will be a Marlie 500K and 600K respectfully coming off the books.

McLaren, sounds like he will be put on long term injury reserve that's 700K for 10-20 games. Toronto isn't in any cap danger there are plenty of moves they can make to free up the money needed to get in and under the cap.

Kyle Doobas*

Let's say a guy is out with an injury/illness/whatever - not significant enough that we can put him on LTIR, but unable to play. In that case, his cap hit will still count and we won't be able to call anybody up to take his place. We need at least a good $1-1.5M of leeway for those types of situations.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Be prepared to not like the deal. It'd be different if he was an expiring contract, but he's not. We really need to hope there's a team is high on Colborne in order to get Liles off us. Yes, I know what he brings to the table and what kind of player he is, but it's a pretty big contract for a guy who is pretty much being traded for not making a team.

What do you guys expect to get in return? What about if he was packaged with Colborne? Remember! One of the reasons these guys are being dealt is because they can't get sent down to the AHL without clearing waivers. So we need players that will be able to avoid waivers all together in order to make this trade make sense, unless obviously its part of a bigger deal.

Liles is great insurance and an exceptional # 6/7 Dman. Nonis managed to get Franson singed and we're 333K under the cap so why would he need to trade/waive Liles at a big loss now that will impact the team for years either through waiver fees or retained salary? We'd be creating cap room to spend on what exactly?

Keep Liles and he can be dealt off-season with only 2 years on his deal which shouldn't be that hard to move as the cap will go up, 2 years isn't a long term and that last year only pays 2.75 in real salary.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Liles is great insurance and an exceptional # 6/7 Dman. Nonis managed to get Franson singed and we're 333K under the cap so why would he need to trade/waive Liles at a big loss now that will impact the team for years either through waiver fees or retained salary? We'd be creating cap room to spend on what exactly?

Keep Liles and he can be dealt off-season with only 2 years on his deal which shouldn't be that hard to move as the cap will go up, 2 years isn't a long term and that last year only pays 2.75 in real salary.

We need him in order to make room. We have too many defensemen that can't get waived and he's the guy on the outs. Read the whole post, maybe you'll understand the exact reason why you're asking.

We need the cap space for next off-season. You know, when our #1 forward and #1 defensemen are UFAs? We need to move him now and not next year after hardly playing all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad