If Lee sticks on the Tavares line...

startainfection*

so in his first full nhl season, you think 30/30/60 is a realistic target? but thats only if he sticks with the team? that doesn't seem to help your point. if 30 goals and 60 points is "realistic" why would he be anywhere besides on the first line?

30/30/60 is an extremely optimistic prediction.

Playing with okposo and Tavares 30-30-60 isn't too ridiculous for any rookie

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
What bodies should be playing ahead of him? Realistically this is what the Lines should be.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Grabo-Nelson-Kulemin(I guess this is what it's shaping up to be?
Strome-Nielsen-Grabner
Bailey-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

I don't care what anyone says. Putting any one of the kids in the minors is a brutal move. Having a 4th line with Josh fn Bailey on it shows that this team can roll 4 productive lines which the Isles have never had.

Conacher/Skille/Martin whoever else all suck. This would be the most productive use of the Isles foward crew.
And yes, Lee would have about 30 goals 25 assists on that line. Think a little bit better than Moulson's first year.

I have a weird feeling Skille and Conacher somehow sneak their way on to this team at some point. I truly think Bailey is useless on the 4th line. Im so curious what Snow does with this roster for opening night.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Playing with okposo and Tavares 30-30-60 isn't too ridiculous for any rookie

If Moulson could put up numbers as he did.....and if.......IF......IF Lee truly clicks there, I absolutely agree that he could; hard to say it's a cinch already, though.

Hell, I haven't been on skates in 2 years, and I could probably go 5-25-30 next to those two. He's the right kind of player for that kind of line, though.

We may have truly went from too few options to too many for assuming Capuano takes his time. I know I may trust Snow a little too much for some around here, but this is to be an impact year - not one for experimentation. They can 'cry havoc and let slip the Dogs of War' this season (Lee, Strome, Nelson, Reinhart, Pulock) but it truly is a coin toss if such an injection of youth is the best approach - at least all at once.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
so in his first full nhl season, you think 30/30/60 is a realistic target? but thats only if he sticks with the team? that doesn't seem to help your point. if 30 goals and 60 points is "realistic" why would he be anywhere besides on the first line?

30/30/60 is an extremely optimistic prediction.

Guys like Bailey and Grabner would jump up to 60+ points playing next to Tavares, I don't think it's unreasonable that Lee scores 60 points if he plays there for the full season. Not sure if he'd get 30 goals or not, but 60 points isn't outlandish at all. I'd be more than comfortable saying he'd get 50+ points.

I'd go more with 30-20-50, but I still don't think 30-30-60 is as ridiculous as you make it.

Think of it this way: who HASN'T scored ~60 points on JT's wing for a full year?

That's a great point.

BroadwayJay*

If Grabner can score 30 goals in his rookie year without Tavares and much PP time, then Lee can score 30 goals in his rookie year with Tavares and first Unit PP time.

Yeah, I think it is possible.

I just also think we should temper our expectations and not pencil Lee in for 30/30.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I think it is possible.

I just also think we should temper our expectations and not pencil Lee in for 30/30.

i agree. i think he is capable of good to great numbers, but i bet he will be bounced around a lot this year, just like Nelson was last year. i have little faith in Cappy utilizing him properly...

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
i agree. i think he is capable of good to great numbers, but i bet he will be bounced around a lot this year, just like Nelson was last year. i have little faith in Cappy utilizing him properly...

To me, Lee has to be the #1 option. Let him park his ass in front of the net, cleaning up and loose rebounds, JT behind or side of the net and KO working the corners. Big strong forward would create havoc and draw us more penalties or pot us more goals.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
I think the above hits it on the head. Unfortunately, if there are no injuries, they have to start him in BP solely on account of the fact that there aren't enough bodies that don't have to go through waivers and they simply will not send Strome down (nor should they).

At the game friday, a conversation with Staple had this little tidbit, so take it for what it is worth...As of Friday, he feels that Strome will not make the team, that those making these decisions prefer the roster spot go to Lee. Also, I asked about Pokka, and the answer was that he is going back overseas, not bridgeport. Couple of other interesting things -- apparently, a lot of fences have been mended, and Lafontaine will be back this year, as well as others I thought would never be, for the final NVMC celly's, mentioned Tonelli, (who as some may know, wanted $$ for appearing in past) and Bates will be here this year as well.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Couple of other interesting things -- apparently, a lot of fences have been mended, and Lafontaine will be back this year, as well as others I thought would never be, for the final NVMC celly's, mentioned Tonelli, (who as some may know, wanted $$ for appearing in past) and Bates will be here this year as well.

Bates? He has been around for years -- perhaps a Shawn Bates Penalty Shot night? <eyeroll>

Glad to hear about JT --- Ill be at anything they do for him.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Bates? He has been around for years -- perhaps a Shawn Bates Penalty Shot night? <eyeroll>

Glad to hear about JT --- Ill be at anything they do for him.

wasnt referring to Bates as one of the mended fences, my bad -- just mentioning that Staple said he would also be around --
Staple said it appeared that "many" of the past issues with alumni/ownership were resolved, (I am sure by both past players and Wang, to have the coli go out the right way) and I was happy to hear specifically about Patty L and JT the 1st though.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Nielsen is worth a lot of points in the standings by himself, since he is the best shootout performer in the NHL. I wouldn't be looking to trade him too quickly. We'd be better off keeping him and switching him to a wing rather than trading him most likely.

Actually shootout is quite important and that is exactly why I am reluctant to see Nielsen go at the moment, unless the package coming back also include someone good at shootout.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
At the game friday, a conversation with Staple had this little tidbit, so take it for what it is worth...As of Friday, he feels that Strome will not make the team, that those making these decisions prefer the roster spot go to Lee. Also, I asked about Pokka, and the answer was that he is going back overseas, not bridgeport. Couple of other interesting things -- apparently, a lot of fences have been mended, and Lafontaine will be back this year, as well as others I thought would never be, for the final NVMC celly's, mentioned Tonelli, (who as some may know, wanted $$ for appearing in past) and Bates will be here this year as well.

If Strome goes down to BST & come back up later when either someone is struggling, dealt or injured, may be the best thing happening to Collberg. It may help him to get his confidence back. Do not see anyone else can get him going, kind like what the LA two top rookies did for each others in the AHL, and now they both are in the NHL. Strome need an enforcer on his line down there though, as it can also get really rough down there. With MDC and Ho-Sang drafted, I feel that Grabner may not fit with the Isles down the road & may need to be moved. His speed will attract attentions from teams that may need more speed upfront, but I will trade him to a Western team for a proven d-man who can help both the PP/PK and mentoring the younger defense, does not need to be flashy.

Last edited:

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Conacher convinced me last night that he is the right guy for the Tavares line. They didnt play the best 2 way game or PP but that will come with more reps. Lee is just not fast enough to be on the first line plain and simple. JT and KO are not the fastest.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Great for lee that he would be in calder consideration, but is that really advantageous for the isles? I see jt's numbers as more important than lee's numbers. If lee is the best option, great, but trying to aid him in his calder race does nothing for the isles. I dont see the excitement about all these trophies...

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I feel that if just looking at the top line, Nelson is the best fit. But with the cluster**** of forwards and the puzzle that it creates - Nelson's flexibility could help the team elsewhere.

I'd much rather see Lee get the shot up there if not Nelson, and certainly not Conacher, please.

The top LW will be a holding spot until Dal Colle arrives as early as next year. Then things will really start to get interesting. Trade some excess forwards for a top 4 D, Pulock will be ready, Reinhart and CDH seasoned and just as the D arrives....... voila - your playoff team is served, enjoy.

startainfection*

I feel that if just looking at the top line, Nelson is the best fit. But with the cluster**** of forwards and the puzzle that it creates - Nelson's flexibility could help the team elsewhere.

I'd much rather see Lee get the shot up there if not Nelson, and certainly not Conacher, please.

The top LW will be a holding spot until Dal Colle arrives as early as next year. Then things will really start to get interesting. Trade some excess forwards for a top 4 D, Pulock will be ready, Reinhart and CDH seasoned and just as the D arrives....... voila - your playoff team is served, enjoy.

Why not Conacher?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad