If Lee sticks on the Tavares line...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
does he jump to the top of the list of Calder favorites? He's still eligible, and when you consider his numbers last year in the A and NHL; when you consider that he'd be getting top minutes with our two best offensive players(one of which being elite); as well as top PP minutes in that Moulson/Vanek role - you'd have to believe that 30/30/60 would be a realistic target for him offensively. Maybe even more if everything clicks with him and his linemates from the start. I'd imagine that would be enough to at least get him locked in as a finalist.

I'm not sure if there is a place for him with the big club considering the amount of bodies we have up front, but if he does somehow not only make it but cement a spot with JT, I can see his stock really skyrocketing around the rest of the league.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think if Lee plays with Tavares and on the first unit PP, he most likely will get 25+ goals with a decent chance of 30+ which I do think gives him a good shot at the calder.

I just don't see anybody in this years crop of rookies getting Mackinnon type numbers so a 30 goal season could be calder worthy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think if Lee plays with Tavares and on the first unit PP, he most likely will get 25+ goals with a decent chance of 30+ which I do think gives him a good shot at the calder.

I just don't see anybody in this years crop of rookies getting Mackinnon type numbers so a 30 goal season could be calder worthy

Drouin? Especially if he's paired with Stamkos all season?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Drouin? Especially if he's paired with Stamkos all season?

Drouin and Kuznetsov seem to be the front runners now but if I go by what Lightening fans say Drouin might play 2nd line duty(also he is injured and might miss a few regular season games).

My guess is Drouin gets 50+ points if he plays a full season which is a good season but given he most likely well have way more assists then goals a potential 30+ goal season will be more impressive. That being said if points are similar people might say well Lee plays with Tavares so his numbers are inflated due to that and Drouin might get alot of name recognition votes(ie peopel will say Drouin will be much better 2-3 years from now so he deserves it more for that reason)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
does he jump to the top of the list of Calder favorites? He's still eligible, and when you consider his numbers last year in the A and NHL; when you consider that he'd be getting top minutes with our two best offensive players(one of which being elite); as well as top PP minutes in that Moulson/Vanek role - you'd have to believe that 30/30/60 would be a realistic target for him offensively. Maybe even more if everything clicks with him and his linemates from the start. I'd imagine that would be enough to at least get him locked in as a finalist.

I'm not sure if there is a place for him with the big club considering the amount of bodies we have up front, but if he does somehow not only make it but cement a spot with JT, I can see his stock really skyrocketing around the rest of the league.

I think the above hits it on the head. Unfortunately, if there are no injuries, they have to start him in BP solely on account of the fact that there aren't enough bodies that don't have to go through waivers and they simply will not send Strome down (nor should they).

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

What bodies should be playing ahead of him? Realistically this is what the Lines should be.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Grabo-Nelson-Kulemin(I guess this is what it's shaping up to be?
Strome-Nielsen-Grabner
Bailey-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

I don't care what anyone says. Putting any one of the kids in the minors is a brutal move. Having a 4th line with Josh fn Bailey on it shows that this team can roll 4 productive lines which the Isles have never had.

Conacher/Skille/Martin whoever else all suck. This would be the most productive use of the Isles foward crew.
And yes, Lee would have about 30 goals 25 assists on that line. Think a little bit better than Moulson's first year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
And yes, Lee would have about 30 goals 25 assists on that line. Think a little bit better than Moulson's first year.

I think you have to emphasize he would have to play first unit PP consistently to get 30 goals(because I am guessing 10-15 goals would be on the PP)

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think you have to emphasize he would have to play first unit PP consistently to get 30 goals(because I am guessing 10-15 goals would be on the PP)

yea your right. I think he's a first unit PP guy as well.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
Realistically this is what the Lines should be.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Strome-Nielsen-Grabner

I would love this line up. And then you can have Martin as the guy you bring in for those games that need a heavy hitter/fighter. Of course in that case you just have to scratch a player *cough*Bailey*cough*.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I would love this line up. And then you can have Martin as the guy you bring in for those games that need a heavy hitter/fighter. Of course in that case you just have to scratch a player *cough*Bailey*cough*.

Exactly my point. Plus if you do decide to move a guy you can slide Martin and and not really lose much.

But of course what should happen isn't what will happen in the end.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
What bodies should be playing ahead of him? Realistically this is what the Lines should be.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Strome-Nielsen-Grabner

Are you actually suggesting that we start the season with our 12 best players? Crazy!!!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Are you actually suggesting that we start the season with our 12 best players? Crazy!!!

I know! I definitely have the feeling I'm off my rocker when it comes to this idea! :loony::scared::jockstrap:

But when it comes to Snow you know it won't happen.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport

Lee-JT-Okposo
Strome-Nielsen-Grabner

I don't care what anyone says. Putting any one of the kids in the minors is a brutal move. Having a 4th line with Josh fn Bailey on it shows that this team can roll 4 productive lines which the Isles have never had.

Conacher/Skille/Martin whoever else all suck. This would be the most productive use of the Isles foward crew.

Sounds like the best lineup that I can think of--but we all know that Snow/Capuano & crew will prefer playing many career AHLers instead!!

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I think Lee on 1st line LW is best for Islanders - as long as his skating is adequate and produces - 20-25 goals minimum is an absolute must!

As stated in another post, I think Lee on first line will = a bigger move along the lines of Frans + other(s) for that d-man we need - especially if Vis is a little iffy healthwise. I love Nelson and think he would be incredible up there but I think he is our #2 center.

Also believe Grabovski is best suited as a center and our #2/3 center. Nielson is one of my favorite players but centers of JT-Nelson-Grabovski-Cizikas aint too shabby (with significant Cizikas improvement).

I would not be surprised by a big move sometime before season starts as unusual as that may be. The numbers/positions just don't add up and something has got to give.

Guys that could go via trade imo:
Nielson
Strome
Martin
Grabner
Bailey (sweetner)

I just get the feeling we have some changes coming sooner than later.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Lee on 1st line LW is best for Islanders - as long as he produces!

I disagree, I think Nelson might be a better option at least 5 on 5 since while Lee probably can score more, Nelson gives that first line a better 200 foot game and probably can get a few more assists.

One option might be Lee on first unit PP, Nelson on first line 5 on 5

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nielsen is worth a lot of points in the standings by himself, since he is the best shootout performer in the NHL. I wouldn't be looking to trade him too quickly. We'd be better off keeping him and switching him to a wing rather than trading him most likely.

startainfection*

Guys that could go via trade imo:
Nielson
Strome
Martin
Grabner
Bailey (sweetner)
Not unless he brings back a good rental top 4 dman
Absolutely not
Only if another team over pays
Only if another team over pays
Maybe as a sweetener packaged with futures

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If Lee sticks on the top line I am going to grab my umbrella and walk between the tears that will rain down in here. :D

Lee stays, Nelson stays, and I hope Strome stays. I really don't care where Conacher or the other bandaids go.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

so in his first full nhl season, you think 30/30/60 is a realistic target? but thats only if he sticks with the team? that doesn't seem to help your point. if 30 goals and 60 points is "realistic" why would he be anywhere besides on the first line?

30/30/60 is an extremely optimistic prediction.

BroadwayJay*

so in his first full nhl season, you think 30/30/60 is a realistic target? but thats only if he sticks with the team? that doesn't seem to help your point. if 30 goals and 60 points is "realistic" why would he be anywhere besides on the first line?

In the last 20 years, three Calder Trophy winners have scored 30 goals: Evgeni Malkin, Jeff Skinner and Alexander Ovechkin.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I'd go more with 30-20-50, but I still don't think 30-30-60 is as ridiculous as you make it.

Think of it this way: who HASN'T scored ~60 points on JT's wing for a full year?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In the last 20 years, three Calder Trophy winners have scored 30 goals: Evgeni Malkin, Jeff Skinner and Alexander Ovechkin.

If Grabner can score 30 goals in his rookie year without Tavares and much PP time, then Lee can score 30 goals in his rookie year with Tavares and first Unit PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad