Speculation: If Leafs Brass view Nylander as a Winger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you mean 1 for 1, what dmen are you thinking? I think Nylander alone won't get us the dman we seek. For example, Trouba, Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Sergechev.
Well if we trade Nylander, it would be for a very young, established impact d-man with a high upside. Otherwise we are trading down. The hope in that case would be to find a d-man who is deemed surplus but who has already shown he can have an impact now, and has an upside that makes it worth it. That happens so very rarely. I think Jones might just be the last such case. From that point, you start looking at more limited guys, much older guys, or guys that have not proven anything. All things I'd hesitate to pull the trigger on.

I mean, obviously you don't shut the door for this possibility. I just don't see it happening. I think our solution will come from finding an underappreciated asset and watching it grow. That's why I've been pushing the idea of trading Kapanen for Rasmus Andersson, for example. That would give us in essence another Dermott except right-handed.

Aside from the Matthews & Marner together part, sure. Nothing Babcock has ever said should give anyone thoughts they'll be put together at even strength as regular linemates. Quite the opposite in fact. Plus, there's no good reason to move Marner away from Kadri & Marleau unless they come back ice cold.
Yeah, that line looked so good that I'd be surprised if they were not together to start next season.

I think the whole Marner with Matthews thing has gone a bit crazy. It all seemed based on Matthews getting asked whether he'd like to play with Marner and answering in pretty much exactly the way any media-trained player would answer.

Reactions: Menzinger

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nylander is a center. Babcock needs to extend the rope so that Nylander can learn the position in a "sheltered" role; like he sheltered Bozak.

P.S. When Matthews was injured and Nylander played center against Malkin line and Zetterberg line and other lines he did pretty well

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
All the complaints about his lack of intensity away from the puck would disappear at center. He's almost always in the right position to make the most of a won board battle, he's just not the guy to be the first in and trade cross checks while he waits for his center to pull up and free the puck.

His game makes the most sense at C, it's pretty obvious IMO. Hides his issues best while making the most of his talents.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, that line looked so good that I'd be surprised if they were not together to start next season.

I think the whole Marner with Matthews thing has gone a bit crazy. It all seemed based on Matthews getting asked whether he'd like to play with Marner and answering in pretty much exactly the way any media-trained player would answer.

I would expect Marner to stay with Kadri/Marleau to start the season, although that could change based on off season moves.

I didn't know Matthews said he'd like to play with Marner but I would take that, as well as anything the coach would say about it, with a grain of salt.

I still believe Matthews/Marner will be a tandem in the future, God help the rest of the league.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I would expect Marner to stay with Kadri/Marleau to start the season, although that could change based on off season moves.

I didn't know Matthews said he'd like to play with Marner but I would take that, as well as anything the coach would say about it, with a grain of salt.

I still believe Matthews/Marner will be a tandem in the future, God help the rest of the league.

it was reported by someone in the muckraking media, and if Matty did say that, which is possible, what does it say about Nylander, is Matty thinking Nylanders luke-warm performance when it really mattered hurt his performance?

something to think about

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
it was reported by someone in the muckraking media, and if Matty did say that, which is possible, what does it say about Nylander, is Matty thinking Nylanders luke-warm performance when it really mattered hurt his performance?

something to think about
I'm sure it was taken out of context.
If asked I'm sure Matthews would say he would loves playing with Nylander/Hyman and would love to play with _____ given the opportunity.
Cookie cutter answers that they've been trained to give, pretty meaningless.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If they want Willy as a center, they should move him into the position and accept the short term losses until he gets used to the position and the replacement forward gets used to Matthews. The leafs can afford a few more losses in the regular season.
I think he is a more natural center anyways.
This isn't an easy transition. Center is very different from wing. It is actually confusing when one is shifted between the two because there is really no time to think about where you should be. I think a big part of his offensive issues are related to him playing like a center, leaving the corners unattended. He will be signed anyway so a drop in performance will not adversely affect him. Moving Marner to center is not optimum. He has exceptional vision where he is. He also wouldn't want anything to affect his performance year (unless they sign him early)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It changes nothing. He can handle C duties no question, he already has.

He just works so well with Matthews there's no reason to do it.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
All the complaints about his lack of intensity away from the puck would disappear at center. He's almost always in the right position to make the most of a won board battle, he's just not the guy to be the first in and trade cross checks while he waits for his center to pull up and free the puck.

His game makes the most sense at C, it's pretty obvious IMO. Hides his issues best while making the most of his talents.
I think that is exactly right. He just needs to get used to the defensive responsibilities

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think that is exactly right. He just needs to get used to the defensive responsibilities

Honestly just stick him with 2 of Hyman/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brown/Marleau and you're good to go. Kapanen + Johnsson are my preferences but I could see how Babcock would prefer a vet on that line.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
except that we are sorely short of centers.

No we're not?

We have two 1C's, Aaltonen, Lindholm, and Gauthier.

Worst case scenario we just re-sign Bozak in the short-term or trade for a McCann, Bennett, or Tierney. Use Nylander at C in the event of Kadri or Matthews going down.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
No we're not?

Worst case scenario we just re-sign Bozak in the short-term or trade for a McCann, Bennett, or Tierney. Use Nylander at C in the event of Kadri or Matthews going down.
Bozak is a short term fix. If Nylander could become a more valuable player at center and prefers that position, you wouldn't be in favor of allowing him to do that?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

something to think about

I'm sure it was taken out of context.
If asked I'm sure Matthews would say he would loves playing with Nylander/Hyman and would love to play with _____ given the opportunity.
Cookie cutter answers that they've been trained to give, pretty meaningless.

It's not something to think about Koho, and yes ACC it was entirely taken out of context...

I'm tired of all this Matthews says he wants to play more or has requested to play with Marner nonsense.

Dbz-Io2XcAIxAhZ

Much to do about a nothing quote.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Bozak is a short term fix. If Nylander could become a more valuable player at center and prefers that position, you wouldn't be in favor of allowing him to do that?

He can already play C. I prefer to stack lines than play 3 ones the same amount of time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Honestly just stick him with 2 of Hyman/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brown/Marleau and you're good to go. Kapanen + Johnsson are my preferences but I could see how Babcock would prefer a vet on that line.
Can't see Nylander playing center without one of Brown or Hyman on his wing. Babcock is the coach haha

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No we're not?

Bennett isn't really a center by the way. He played mostly on the wing last year and produced way more while doing so.

I agree about Bozak, I think if the leafs don't move Nylander to center they will bring Bozak back for like 2 or 3 years.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I actually have never had much issue with Bozak over the years, but I personally think that ship has sailed.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Bennett isn't really a center by the way. He played mostly on the wing last year and produced way more while doing so.

I agree about Bozak, I think if the leafs don't move Nylander to center they will bring Bozak back for like 2 or 3 years.

Bennett has the ability to play C. Production is one thing, but hes shown the ability to be a solid 2 way guy that can put up 30 points with garbage linemates. Here he could end up with Johnsson-Kapanen on his wings and they could do some real damage with their speed/two-way play.

Bozak is easy, and id be all for it as a 'Plan C' in FA. Id personally put all my chips on Tavares, and when that doesnt happen try for Stastny/Trade for the short term.

No need to push Nylander to C, when we have Matthews/Kadri signed long-term and need to be playing more.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Bennett has the ability to play C. Production is one thing, but hes shown the ability to be a solid 2 way guy that can put up 30 points with garbage linemates. Here he could end up with Johnsson-Kapanen on his wings and they could do some real damage with their speed/two-way play.

Bozak is easy, and id be all for it as a 'Plan C' in FA. Id personally put all my chips on Tavares, and when that doesnt happen try for Stastny/Trade for the short term.

No need to push Nylander to C, when we have Matthews/Kadri signed long-term and need to be playing more.

Bennet is hot garbage defensively at center. He gets some of the most sheltered starts in CGY (right around Gaudreau's zone starts with way easier competition) and still is below average on possession.

He has the skill and drive to put it together but he hasn't come close yet for any meaningful period of time.

Reactions: Menzinger

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Bennet is hot garbage defensively at center. He gets some of the most sheltered starts in CGY (right around Gaudreau's zone starts with way easier competition) and still is below average on possession.

He has the skill and drive to put it together but he hasn't come close yet for any meaningful period of time.

I'm looking at his combos on Corisca over the last three seasons. These are his rel.CF/60 and rel.CA60 numbers with each of these linemates over 100 minutes:

PlayersTOIrel.CF60rel.CA60
Jankowski-Hathaway274.13+2.97-0.63
Frolik-Backlund260.22+8.28-3.17
Versteeg-Brouwer204.25-6.62+3.87
Chiasson-Gaudreau130.45-8.67+1.6
Chiasson-Versteeg118.83+1.25-12.84
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Jagr-Jankowski 109 -5.36 +1.82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I see a guy that is positive in generation in 3/6 and a guy who's positive (negative) in suppression in 3/6. Essentially it comes down to who he plays with in regards to how good he is.

To me that's perfectly fine because unlike Calgary, we don't normally like to play bad forwards, and we wouldn't expect him to be a driver no matter who he plays with:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bennett-Kapanen
Leivo - Aaltonen/Lindholm-Brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad