Speculation: If Leafs Brass view Nylander as a Winger

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If the Leafs brass have analyzed Nylander’s game prior to his extension talks and have decided he’s a winger long term (rather than a center), how does this impact the Leafs approach to A) future trades, and B) the 2018 draft?

A) Future Trades: Some will feel that Nylander as a pure winger changes nothing, and that the team simply moves forward with Mathews at C and two star right wingers earning the biggest cap hits. Personally, I feel that if Nylander is viewed as a winger by the Leafs, it might be wise to explore trading Nylander for a (potential) top pairing RHD who is under 25. Nylander has plenty of value right now (young, 2 60 point seasons already) and will have even more if signed to a good contract. Even if the Leafs feel he is a future winger, at least a few GMs out there still currently see him as a potential C option this summer, which will raise his current value even more. What kind of D does a 21 year old 60 point C fetch?

B) 2018 Draft: If Nylander is a winger, the Leafs will need a young C to be the 1-2 punch with Matthews, especially once Kadri starts to slip. They likely won’t find one at #25, so one strategy would be to trade up (rather than down) in this draft. By trading up they could grab a player like Barrett Hayton in the 15-20 range, who may be a future scoring line C in the NHL. I feel it might be worth a 3rd or a 2019 2nd to move up 6-8 spots and select that level of player, who could potentially replace Nylander at Center on the cheap.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not saying the Leafs have move up in the draft, but certainly the Leafs to develop centres....and soon.
If the Leafs went "Centre heavy" in the draft, I'd be OK with it.
With the Leafs abundance of wingers who can NHL regulars this year....Johnson, Kapanen, Grundstrom and maybe even Leivo, maybe a centre move for Nylander is inevitable this October.
Unfortunately Babcock might not want to do so maybe the Leafs will be playing Matthews and Kadri 30 minutes every night. I find Babcock's game management poor with his allocation of players positions and ice time.
Due to the lack of alternatives at centre this year for the Leafs, I think it would've be wise to inform Nylander last month that he is a centre. Get your mind set for centre, practice your face offs in the off season.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If the Leafs brass have analyzed Nylander’s game prior to his extension talks and have decided he’s a winger long term (rather than a center), how does this impact the Leafs approach to A) future trades, and B) the 2018 draft?

A) Future Trades: Some will feel that Nylander as a pure winger changes nothing, and that the team simply moves forward with Mathews at C and two star right wingers earning the biggest cap hits. Personally, I feel that if Nylander is viewed as a winger by the Leafs, it might be wise to explore trading Nylander for a (potential) top pairing RHD who is under 25. Nylander has plenty of value right now (young, 2 60 point seasons already) and will have even more if signed to a good contract. Even if the Leafs feel he is a future winger, at least a few GMs out there still currently see him as a potential C option this summer, which will raise his current value even more. What kind of D does a 21 year old 60 point C fetch?

B) 2018 Draft: If Nylander is a winger, the Leafs will need a young C to be the 1-2 punch with Matthews, especially once Kadri starts to slip. They likely won’t find one at #25, so one strategy would be to trade up (rather than down) in this draft. By trading up they could grab a player like Barrett Hayton in the 15-20 range, who may be a future scoring line C in the NHL. I feel it might be worth a 3rd or a 2019 2nd to move up 6-8 spots and select that level of player, who could potentially replace Nylander at Center on the cheap.

Nazem Kadri is 27 years old. He is not going to be noticeably slipping for a long time. He's a crafty player who relies on his hockey IQ to find soft spots in defense and great hands to finish in tight. He plays with an edge but is not a wrecking ball who's body is going to break down. If Nylander ends up as a winger, then the Leafs will keep their two elite RW's to go with the Matthews-Kadri duo down the middle and have the best top6 C-RW combos in the league.

Moving up 6-8 spots (into the teens) in the first round would cost a more than a 3rd round pick. We got the 61st OA when we moved down to 29th from 24th.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe they view Nylander as a Center. If he can't cut it as a Center, Marner will be an excellent choice.

Reactions: diceman934

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Keep the draft picks and draft best player available. Take a run at some centres in free agency.

Reactions: iSophagus

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Interesting situation in that Nylander should have greater trade value if viewed as a C, but at the same time, it then makes that much more sense to keep him and be really strong down the middle. It is possible that different teams could have different ideas regarding Nylander in that respect though (C vs W). Still think it's too early to consider trading him. The reward could be great, but I'd say the same for the risk. I'd likely rather see other options explored first.

Never too early to consider potential future replacements. It's okay to be mindful of need when drafting, but BPA should be able to make something expendable for trades down the line. Problem being, need and BPA aren't constant enough to always rely on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think he's going to be our 3C come October.
We need a 3C and 4C. I don't see JT coming so there just isn't a better idea out there that I can tell. So Willy to C.

Grundstrom - Matthews - Kapanen.
Marleau - Kadri - Marner.
Johnsson - Nylander - Brown.
Leivo - Aaltonen - Hyman.

There's obviously a couple guys there who are only placeholders. But this is based on who in the organization as of right now.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There was a period this season where it started to sound like Babcock doubted him as a center, but that stopped after his stretch down the middle with Matthews out.

Babcock was praising him saying that he was doing some of his best work as a center, and showed that in-game having no problem putting him out there in the same kind of minutes that he had used Matthews in.

I believe they view Nylander as a Center. If he can't cut it as a Center, Marner will be an excellent choice.
I can't think of even one example of a player who was mainly a winger in junior and has never played a game as center as pro who then converted to center. I don't think that's very likely at all.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There was a period this season where it started to sound like Babcock doubted him as a center, but that stopped after his stretch down the middle with Matthews out.

Babcock was praising him saying that he was doing some of his best work as a center, and showed that in-game having no problem putting him out there in the same kind of minutes that he had used Matthews in.

I can't think of even one example of a player who was mainly a winger in junior and has never played a game as center as pro who then converted to center. I don't think that's very likely at all.
Marner is a special player and because of his versatility he has played center off and on all his career.
He certainly has the skill and brain to play center if the need arises.

I do think they would prefer Nylander to play center over Marner.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What if Leafs brass views Nylander as trade bait needed to address improvement on D, should the right player become available via trade?

That is also an option to factor into the Nylander future. IMO

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What if Leafs brass views Nylander as trade bait needed to address improvement on D, should the right player become available via trade?

That is also an option to factor into the Nylander future. IMO

Sign Tavares and then use Nylander to get that coveted dman makes lots of sense.

Reactions: Wings4Life

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Keep the draft picks and draft best player available. Take a run at some centres in free agency.

I agree completely.

Moving up in the draft is not a good idea. Unless there is a very specific player you are after, and the cost is low to move up, then don't bother. Prospects are still so unknown at that age, the guy taken with your pick might be better than the guy you move up for.

There's competent free agents who could fill the #3 center role, or even a low key trade might work. Bringing back Bozak isn't a bad idea.

Reactions: shortfuze

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marner is a special player and because of his versatility he has played center off and on all his career.
He certainly has the skill and brain to play center if the need arises.
I agree with the skill set, I'm just saying that it would be rather unprecedented to see someone who has predominantly been a winger in his career switch to center. Pretty much every other case of a winger becoming a center have been guys that just started their NHL careers on the wing.

Sign Tavares and then use Nylander to get that coveted dman makes lots of sense.
In theory, yes. But the guys you'd move Nylander for are not guys that are available.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Precisely, a perfect example of getting a proven C, so there would be no need to convert Willie and his cap $$ could then be used to add a young top 4 Dman.

I could also see a potential Nylander + Gardiner + ? to Buffalo for Centre Ryan O'Reilly and RHD Rasmus Ristolainen

Then Leafs would have Matthews, O'Reilly and Kadri down the middle and Rielly -- Ristolainen as their to top D pairing.

Then drafting a C or a D isn't even a pressing need at the moment if Leafs use Willie as the bait to fill needs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree with the skill set, I'm just saying that it would be rather unprecedented to see someone who has predominantly been a winger in his career switch to center. Pretty much every other case of a winger becoming a center have been guys that just started their NHL careers on the wing.

He is just starting out and there really hasn't been a need yet for Marner to move to the middle.
Chances are it won't happen, all I'm saying is it could and he would excel which I think you're agreeing with.

I believe ideally, they are looking at Nylander/Kapanen to be a C/W pair and Matthews/Marner to be the other pair.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

In theory, yes. But the guys you'd move Nylander for are not guys that are available.
If Hamilton was available and we picked up Tavares, I'd lean towards it but that'd be a tough decision to make.

Does anyone remember when Giroux became a full time center? Actually, doesn't he play on Coutuier's wing? I don't know to be honest.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'll take the easy way out and say the common sense method...

1. Trade the 1st round pick + Kapanen/Brown for a RHD .

2. Sign a stop gap 3c short term so that we can see what we have in Aaltonen, Lindholm, Brooks.

The 3c ufa crop is much better than the RHD crop.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Precisely, a perfect example of getting a proven C, so there would be no need to convert Willie and his cap $$ could then be used to add a young top 4 Dman.

I could also see a potential Nylander + Gardiner + ? to Buffalo for Centre Ryan O'Reilly and RHD Rasmus Ristolainen

Then Leafs would have Matthews, O'Reilly and Kadri down the middle and Rielly -- Ristolainen as their to top D pairing.

Then drafting a C or a D isn't even a pressing need at the moment if Leafs use Willie as the bait to fill needs.
With LHD Dahlin and RHD Risto, I don't see why Buffalo would trade what could possibly be the backbone on 2 separate D pairs in the top 4 for years to come.
Not to mention, if they are considering O'Reilly/Risto in trades, it doesn't make sense to deal them in 1 package. They could get so much more separately and involving 2 different teams. It would be like if we got Parayko. We aren't trading Rielly and Kadri to get a Gardiner + return.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Lmao take a bit of time and watch Rasmus in Buffalo - that is not the type of Dman that the Leafs need. His defensive game is baaaaaaaaddd....

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Marner wont play regularly with Matthews outside of the powerplay.

And Marner will never be a center.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If you mean 1 for 1, what dmen are you thinking? I think Nylander alone won't get us the dman we seek. For example, Trouba, Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Sergechev.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Reasonable thought, it does seem likely.

Aside from the Matthews & Marner together part, sure. Nothing Babcock has ever said should give anyone thoughts they'll be put together at even strength as regular linemates. Quite the opposite in fact. Plus, there's no good reason to move Marner away from Kadri & Marleau unless they come back ice cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad