If Johnny Hockey wins the Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Matthews is not clearly better then the rest. Lol. Give it up.
Give what up? You think im a leafs fan or something? Nice try. Find me a player you think will be better than Matthews in 5 years, based on what we have seen rn, beside mcdavid. Hes great offensivly and defensivly, he played the JG amazing well when we played them.

Reactions: Kelly

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Give what up? You think im a leafs fan or something? Nice try. Find me a player you think will be better than Matthews in 5 years, based on what we have seen rn, beside mcdavid. Hes great offensivly and defensivly, he played the JG amazing well when we played them.

"I'm not a Leafs fan"

"He played JG amazing well when we played them" lol.

Matthews didn't even register a shot against the Flames. Anyways, this thread isn't about 5 years from now so stop moving the goal posts. This season Matthews isn't even in the top 10, let alone on some elevated tier above everyone else.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He doesn't meet the height restriction for best player in the league. He will likely be the lightweight champion of the hockey world for most of his career though.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
To give a serious response to this thread, if he manages to win more than one or two then we can start looking at that Generational tier.

Frankly, McDavid should have to prove that too but he is having a solid season still so he's fairly close

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
"I'm not a Leafs fan"

"He played JG amazing well when we played them" lol.

Matthews didn't even register a shot against the Flames. Anyways, this thread isn't about 5 years from now so stop moving the goal posts. This season Matthews isn't even in the top 10, let alone on some elevated tier above everyone else.

That's hilarious. Lol the one game in his career that he didn't register a shot wow eh.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
That's hilarious. Lol the one game in his career that he didn't register a shot wow eh.

Well if someone is going to bring up "how well Matthews played against Gaudreau" then it makes sense to point out that Matthews was also essentially shut down that game.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lol @ Gaudreau being better than Matthews.
Watch a game without the calgary flames swimming goggles...or any goggles for that matter.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Matthews and McDavid are in different tiers.. So maybe he enters Matthews' tier (although Matthews hasn't come close to winning an Art Ross). He'll never be in McDavid's.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well if someone is going to bring up "how well Matthews played against Gaudreau" then it makes sense to point out that Matthews was also essentially shut down that game.

No team in the league is taking Gaudreau over Matthews, get over yourself.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I actually think Matthews is better than McDavid. I don't know why the Oil fans in here are thumping their chests, the matter is extremely debatable.

To answer OP question, I don't think he'll ever have the complete game abilities of Matthews, unfortunately. However I do think he could be in the same tier (or better) than both offensively. His ability with the puck is surreal. His ability to strip the puck and create turnovers makes him a neutral zone beast as well. In the d zone he is pretty useless, and I like the guy.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I actually think Matthews is better than McDavid. I don't know why the Oil fans in here are thumping their chests, the matter is extremely debatable.

To answer OP question, I don't think he'll ever have the complete game abilities of Matthews, unfortunately. However I do think he could be in the same tier (or better) than both offensively. His ability with the puck is surreal. His ability to strip the puck and create turnovers makes him a neutral zone beast as well. In the d zone he is pretty useless, and I like the guy.

Actually I agree with all of this except Matthews being better than McDavid. I do however believe like countless others they are extremely close and all the talk of McDavid being far superior is a bit of a joke to those who actually watch the NHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews and McDavid are both overrated.

Not really. They may be the best offensive player in the league and best two way player (if not for Crosby I would say for sure). Each are great all around though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lol @ Gaudreau being better than Matthews.
Watch a game without the calgary flames swimming goggles...or any goggles for that matter.

lol @ getting outproduced heavily by an "inferior" player. Gaudreau's better than Matthews without the Leafs blinders.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
lol @ getting outproduced heavily by an "inferior" player. Gaudreau's better than Matthews without the Leafs blinders.

As a fan of both teams my unbiased opinion is that Matthews is the better all around player and I would rather have him than Johnny G if starting a franchise. Johnny is putting up more points and has been a possession dynamo but he's a winger and those are tough to compare to the value of C's. Very happy to have both players on the 2 teams I root for. To the poster above, Matthews finished 3rd in goals last year, come on.

Johnny Gaudreau has looked fantastic this year, I love how he's cutting to the middle more instead of button hooking as soon as he enters the offensive zone. He's creating a lot more chances and opening up space for Monny and Feraddy. I don't think he'll be able to sustain this success over the entire season but I would love for him to collect an Art Ross someday.

Reactions: 99664987

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As a fan of both teams my unbiased opinion is that Matthews is the better all around player and I would rather have him than Johnny G if starting a franchise. Johnny is putting up more points and has been a possession dynamo but he's a winger and those are tough to compare to the value of C's. Very happy to have both players on the 2 teams I root for. To the poster above, Matthews finished 3rd in goals last year, come on.

Johnny Gaudreau has looked fantastic this year, I love how he's cutting to the middle more instead of button hooking as soon as he enters the offensive zone. He's creating a lot more chances and opening up space for Monny and Feraddy. I don't think he'll be able to sustain this success over the entire season but I would love for him to collect an Art Ross someday.

Tied for 2nd in goals last year actually. I don't think people realize how much their gap in points will close as the season goes on, and how much superior Matthews is as a goal scorer and two way player.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Tied for 2nd in goals last year actually. I don't think people realize how much their gap in points will close as the season goes on, and how much superior Matthews is as a goal scorer and two way player.

I don't think people realize how much their gap in points will widen as the season goes on, and how much superior Gaudreau is at offense and playmaking.

See, I can spew random crap too. At least the leaderboards back up what I'm saying though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think people realize how much their gap in points will widen as the season goes on, and how much superior Gaudreau is at offense and playmaking.

See, I can spew random crap too. At least the leaderboards back up what I'm saying though.

You already know your opinion is in the vast minority but keep acting like your opinion is fact here because the leaderboards say so. Leaderboards also say Schwartz > Crosby right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad