If Iceland had an NHL exhibition game, which two teams would represent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
That is patently untrue, as a Canadian living in Iceland. The lack of mosquitos in Iceland is enough of a difference maker, nevermind the lack of trees.

In regards to Iceland being like Canada.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That is patently untrue, as a Canadian living in Iceland. The lack of mosquitos in Iceland is enough of a difference maker, nevermind the lack of trees.

the lack of just about anything living in the country other than moss on the rocks?

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
There is a shitload of stuff living in Iceland, it just comes for six months a year. And mostly in the water and the air.

There's also a small amount of things that stick around for winter. Orcas, seals, people, ravens, mink ( :( ), arctic fox, reindeer, mice... and everything sessile of course.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
There is a ****load of stuff living in Iceland, it just comes for six months a year. And mostly in the water and the air.

There's also a small amount of things that stick around for winter. Orcas, seals, people, ravens, mink ( :( ), arctic fox, reindeer, mice... and everything sessile of course.
it's easily the most barren country I've ever been to.

fish in the ocean don't count.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

Man, thank you. That was really bugging me scrolling through the thread. The only thing they've got in common is being in the north.

As for any exhibition games in Iceland, no. It is not a hockey country and has a tiny population. I'd assume OP would know these things if he has an Icelandic son.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Man, thank you. That was really bugging me scrolling through the thread. The only thing they've got in common is being in the north.

As for any exhibition games in Iceland, no. It is not a hockey country and has a tiny population. I'd assume OP would know these things if he has an Icelandic son.

No kidding. Iceland and Canada are not even remotely similar other than it snows in both.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Gotta be the Jets for sure cause of the Icelandi-Manitoba connection.

Ehlers is from Alborg Denmark and there's the Icelandic town of Arborg in Manitoba. Close enough.

The second team needs to have a lot of SONS on the ends of their last names to maybe trick the Icelandics into thinking they're distantly related. Ottawa comes to mind - star players Karlsson and Anderson.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I just got back from Iceland a few days ago...An outdoor game there would be a disaster...It's a lot more mild than where I live and just imagine the possibility of 100km winds mid game...I would actually love to see that in action. haha. Also Gunnar Stahl works at a gas station in Hofn.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

It has a tiny population but I want hockey to be expanded there, and by expanding I meant simply increase the interest which is very likely. To make it Sweden and Finland esque in popularity? Yeah that won't happen lol. I know a lot about Iceland, and I know the temperatures are more mild and not as extreme. When I say Iceland is similar to Canada I meant Icelandic and Canadians (Excluding from big cities) are generally similar as far as personality goes, kind, friendly, and polite. But Icelanders are more reserved, whereas Canadians are more outgoing. It's also similar to each other relative to like United States or UK due to weather, but obviously Canada has far more extremes than Iceland. An outdoor rink would be difficult to get, but I don't see why you can't promote hockey in an arena in Reykjavik or Akureyri in the future. A small game to get Icelanders interested in hockey is still great.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah, one of the teams has to be the Jets. They are the only team that can go to Iceland and the weather will be better than at home.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yeah, one of the teams has to be the Jets. They are the only team that can go to Iceland and the weather will be better than at home.

Iceland is actually not that cold at all in the winter times, sure it can get very cold at times, but the weather is more mild. Iceland's main I guess knock is it's always cool year round, even during the summer times it could only be like what 7*C at most depending on where you are?

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I just got back from Iceland a few days ago...An outdoor game there would be a disaster...It's a lot more mild than where I live and just imagine the possibility of 100km winds mid game...I would actually love to see that in action. haha. Also Gunnar Stahl works at a gas station in Hofn.

Haha that's great. Does he really? :P

Let's give them what they crave and go Chicago vs Pittsburgh in an outdoor game.

Also electrolytes.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Whichever team has the most players that like pineapple on their pizza versus the team that has the most players that don't like pineapple on their pizza. Winner of the series determines whether or not the President of Iceland bans it.

The first Hawaiian Pizza was created in Sarnia, Ontario. So it only makes sense that the two halfway points of Toronto vs Detroit play against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille