If Iceland had an NHL exhibition game, which two teams would represent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Sweden had the Avalanche (A team with some good Swedes, and Forsberg history) playing against the Senators with the current best Swede in the game along with a great history of Swedes as well (Alfredsson, etc.)

LA and Vancouver are two of the largest Chinese populated cities in North America and they represented the China games.

Zuccarello has been organizing games in Norway, and the Rangers are pretty involved there.

So my question is if Iceland has an exhibition game, which two teams would represent it? The first two that come to my head are Winnipeg and Minnesota. But I think ultimately they'd wait for Iceland to produce their first NHL player (Please be my son), and if he plays for neither Winnipeg nor Minnesota, then it'll be his team and one of Winnipeg or Minnesota (If you don't know, Manitoba has the highest Icelandic population outside of Iceland).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Anaheim vs. these guys.

beachball1.gif

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
I agree with your Winnipeg and Minnesota assessment. Being part goolie myself, Manitoba (gimli specifically) is quite Icelandic proud for lack of a better term.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Whichever team has the most players that like pineapple on their pizza versus the team that has the most players that don't like pineapple on their pizza. Winner of the series determines whether or not the President of Iceland bans it.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think they have good enough facilities that to be even possible.
putting together an outdoor game would be possible. Reykjavik actually has some nice buildings for a small town.

but there are like 100k people in the city total. and stuff is insanely expensive there. they'd need every single person in the city to buy a ticket to make it financially viable.

fyi they have a few rinks suitable for hockey though.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I feel like the point of this thread was for you to tell us about your son's hockey prowess. Well, congrats.

Nah that'll be a long way into the future, I'm just legit curious about the possibility of an Icelandic game haha. I'd love it, introduces hockey into more markets. I still can't believe hockey isn't a thing in Iceland.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
My ex was from Iceland, grew up there. Not much interest in hockey in the country according to her, the hockey arena where her hometown's team plays looks like an abandoned warehouse from the outside and a highschool gym on the inside. I guess it might be fun to watch NHL'rs play in these conditions :laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sweden had the Avalanche (A team with some good Swedes, and Forsberg history) playing against the Senators with the current best Swede in the game along with a great history of Swedes as well (Alfredsson, etc.)

LA and Vancouver are two of the largest Chinese populated cities in North America and they represented the China games.

Zuccarello has been organizing games in Norway, and the Rangers are pretty involved there.

So my question is if Iceland has an exhibition game, which two teams would represent it? The first two that come to my head are Winnipeg and Minnesota. But I think ultimately they'd wait for Iceland to produce their first NHL player (Please be my son), and if he plays for neither Winnipeg nor Minnesota, then it'll be his team and one of Winnipeg or Minnesota (If you don't know, Manitoba has the highest Icelandic population outside of Iceland).

We all hope our non-existent sons make the NHL. Get in line :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad