If Ekblad is getting consideration for Rookie of the year, so should Klingberg

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Not selling anyone short, but there's two sides of the puck. While they may be close to equal on one side, there's a gap on the other.

Ekblad is also 18. Whether it should or shouldn't be a factor, it is.

Again its been shown that Klingber plays tougher minutes and starts less in the OZ

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Again its been shown that Klingber plays tougher minutes and starts less in the OZ
Again, I'm not short selling him at all.. But I think you'd have to give the edge to Ekblad in defensive play. His playing on a better team, and thus, having easier minutes doesn't change who the better player has been.
19, actually.

Well he started at 18, but you're right. My bad. Either way, he's still playing like a stud in the first year after his draft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Age shouldnt be a factor.... but it is.

If it comes down to two guys with similar stats, in this league, it's more impressive that an 18 year old is doing it as opposed to a 22 year old.

Age shouldn't be the primary factor, but it should be a factor.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Marc stone is going to steal the Calder. He might even steal the hart at this point:sarcasm:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If it comes down to two guys with similar stats, in this league, it's more impressive that an 18 year old is doing it as opposed to a 22 year old.

Age shouldn't be the primary factor, but it should be a factor.

Similar stat lines, sure. Ekblad has played more games than Klingberg.

Ekblad's advanced statistics are also worse when compared to Klingberg.

But none of that matters.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
As a Dallas fan, I get the whole age issue. The Makarov rule was instituted as a result of Modano being screwed for the Calder. That said, the rule cuts the age off at 26. Therefore age has already been taken into consideration in the eligibility of the award. To me, that should be the end of it. Otherwise, get rid of the age limit.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
As a Dallas fan, I get the whole age issue. The Makarov rule was instituted as a result of Modano being screwed for the Calder. That said, the rule cuts the age off at 26. Therefore age has already been taken into consideration in the eligibility of the award. To me, that should be the end of it. Otherwise, get rid of the age limit.

I can't help but think that if Ekblad had stayed in junior and Klingberg had played the full season but, say, Roman Josi had come over to any team not named Nashville (and was hypothetically still as good) after ripping it up in the KHL or SEL for 6 years and put up a season similar to Klingbergs this discussion would suddenly be very different.

Only 2 years between Josi and Klingberg but I would bet there would be endless threads on the hundreds of extra pro games Josi had and how two years was a huge difference in learning curves. How much more impressive it was to do what Klingberg had done at his age without the exposure of Josi. How the age limit is just there to stop really old players from winning and of course voters should also consider players age when voting.

Shoes and feet and whatnot.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Oh god reading this thread makes my head hurt..

"Ekblad wins it because he's younger and puts up similar points" "Age doesn't factor into the voting" "Yeah but Ekblad is younger!"

In addition to the offensive numbers, advanced stats point to Klingberg being the better defender this year. Ekblad is a better prospect but this award doesn't go to the best prospect, it goes to the rookie who had the best season. Neither will win the award over Gaudreau/Forsberg/Stone though.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I can't help but think that if Ekblad had stayed in junior and Klingberg had played the full season but, say, Roman Josi had come over to any team not named Nashville (and was hypothetically still as good) after ripping it up in the KHL or SEL for 6 years and put up a season similar to Klingbergs this discussion would suddenly be very different.

Only 2 years between Josi and Klingberg but I would bet there would be endless threads on the hundreds of extra pro games Josi had and how two years was a huge difference in learning curves. How much more impressive it was to do what Klingberg had done at his age without the exposure of Josi. How the age limit is just there to stop really old players from winning and of course voters should also consider players age when voting.

If this hypothetical Josi was having a better season than this hypothetical Klingberg, then Josi would deserve to be ahead of Klingberg.

Nice try though.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Is it really a good argument for Forsberg not being deserving of the Calder, that he has cooled off?

Is it more important to be great the last 25 games of the regular season, than the 25 first?

Makes no sense.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

mindblown.gif

The force of gravity is also a lot lower on this planet. Come back down to Earth.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
thats like, hart trophies arent awarded to people that play few games, but that are sustaining a high pace whole year, klingberg got ~20 less? games played, that alone should be the reason why klingberg shouldnt get the ekblad votes

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Again, I'm not short selling him at all.. But I think you'd have to give the edge to Ekblad in defensive play. His playing on a better team, and thus, having easier minutes doesn't change who the better player has been.

I can live with Ekblad getting more votes than Klingberg, hype and all. But this myth that Ekblad is better defensively than Klingberg needs to die, every statistic points to Klingberg being better defensively. Ekblad doesn't play against top competition. Also Dallas has more points than Florida, so Dallas is the better team.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
thats like, hart trophies arent awarded to people that play few games, but that are sustaining a high pace whole year, klingberg got ~20 less? games played, that alone should be the reason why klingberg shouldnt get the ekblad votes

To put this hypothetical into real terms, this is like saying that Crosby only plays 65 games one year and the next closest player statistically has fewer points and/but has played 80 games. In that scenario you honestly think that Crosby missing those extra games counts against him? I don't see it. He wins it going away and everybody points to how impressive it was he bested the field while missing a substantial number of games.

Your point is only valid if someone is arguing pace vs actual numbers produced when the actual numbers produced are higher than the other player's. That isn't what happened here.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
To put this hypothetical into real terms, this is like saying that Crosby only plays 65 games one year and the next closest player statistically has fewer points and/but has played 80 games. In that scenario you honestly think that Crosby missing those extra games counts against him? I don't see it. He wins it going away and everybody points to how impressive it was he bested the field while missing a substantial number of games.

Your point is only valid if someone is arguing pace vs actual numbers produced when the actual numbers produced are higher than the other player's. That isn't what happened here.

so, how did RNH lose the calder to landeskog?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
When talking about offensive production between the two of John Klingberg & Aaron Ekblad

Dallas averages 3.12 goals scored per game 2nd best in the NHL
Florida averages 2.39 goals scored per game 25th best in the NHL

Considering that I am more impressed with the Aaron Ekblad offensive production.

John Klingberg has been 22 years old during the entire season. He has only played 64 NHL games and has played 10 in the AHL

Aaron Ekblad was 18 years old to start the season only turning 19 on February 7. He has played 79 NHL games never being in the AHL during the NHL season.

With everything considered Aaron Ekblad has been more impressive. John Klingberg will get consideration but don't think he will and should be a finalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad