If Ekblad is getting consideration for Rookie of the year, so should Klingberg

SChan*

Calder trophy is awarded to the best rookie of the season, not the best youngest player.

John Klingberg 52GP 10G 26A 36TP +4
Aaron Ekblad 65GP 11G 23A 34TP +7

Both are outstanding rookies, but Klingberg definitely had the better season so far by missing 13 games and yet managed to leapfrog Ekblad statsvise.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
What Ekblad has done is more impressive because of hes age.
But since both are eligeble for ROTY I think both should be considered.
I also think its probably tougher to score points on a team like Florida than Dallas.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The wording of the thread title suggests that Klingberg should vote Ekblad for Calder.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Calder trophy is awarded to the best rookie of the season, not the best youngest player.

John Klingberg 52GP 10G 26A 36TP +4
Aaron Ekblad 65GP 11G 23A 34TP +7

Both are outstanding rookies, but Klingberg definitely had the better season so far by missing 13 games and yet managed to leapfrog Ekblad statsvise.

Sure, if we're looking just at offensive numbers, but having seen both players Ekblad is better defensively and he's playing for a team that has scored 44 less goals than Dallas.

Once you factor in age(and like it or not, age does factor into the Calder), I think Ekblad is an easy pick over Klingberg. What he's doing is more impressive. Very good offensive numbers, with less help, and he's superior defensively. That doesn't mean Klingberg isn't also having an impressive rookie season, but you're making an argument based entirely on offensive numbers. For defensemen.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What Ekblad has done is more impressive because of hes age.
But since both are eligeble for ROTY I think both should be considered.
I also think its probably tougher to score points on a team like Florida than Dallas.

Dallas is 3rd in goal scored, Florida is 25th.

Both are impressive young D, but Ekblad's age and his production on a team like Florida are the kicker for me.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Sure, if we're looking just at offensive numbers, but having seen both players Ekblad is better defensively and he's playing for a team that has scored 44 less goals than Dallas.

Once you factor in age(and like it or not, age does factor into the Calder), I think Ekblad is an easy pick over Klingberg. What he's doing is more impressive. Very good offensive numbers, with less help, and he's superior defensively. That doesn't mean Klingberg isn't also having an impressive rookie season, but you're making an argument based entirely on offensive numbers. For defensemen.

I'm just gunna copy pasta and say this is what I meant to say in my 2nd post.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Why shouldn't age be a factor? A 23 year old rookie is far more developed than his 18 year old counterpart, and if they have similar production and defensive skill the 18 year old should definitely get the nod.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Why shouldn't age be a factor? A 23 year old rookie is far more developed than his 18 year old counterpart, and if they have similar production and defensive skill the 18 year old should definitely get the nod.

The original post didn't say Klingberg should win it. It simply implied people should be noting Klingberg and he should be getting talks as well.

The fact that age is the only reason some people think Ekblad should show that Klingberg at least deserves to be in the conversation.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Yes but it's like a 20 year old coming into this league on Pittsburgh getting 75 points

Then a 18 year old in Vancouver getting 65.

Do you have any concrete examples cause I don't think the 18 years old wins the Calder in your premise.

Does anyone have an example of a player winning the Calder because of age? It could be a tie breaker, but I think a rookie is a rookie, no matter the age.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Firstly you are stretching the ages out to make your argument look better. Klingberg is 20, not 23.

Secondly the original post didn't say Klingberg should win it. It simply implied people should be noting Klingberg and he should be getting talks as well.

The fact that two years is the only reason some people think Ekblad should show that Klingberg at least deserves to be in the conversation.

Klingberg is actually 22, while Ekblad just turned 19. There's about a 3.5 year age difference between them.

Not that it should matter when it comes to the Calder. It comes down to who has had the better season.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Klingberg is actually 22, while Ekblad just turned 19. There's about a 3.5 year age difference between them.

Not that it should matter when it comes to the Calder. It comes down to who has had the better season.

yes my apologies. I corrected my post. Had the wrong page open on NHL.com

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
There are about 5 or 6 rookies right now who could win the calder in any other year...This year is an insane rookie class.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Do you have any concrete examples cause I don't think the 18 years old wins the Calder in your premise.

Does anyone have an example of a player winning the Calder because of age? It could be a tie breaker, but I think a rookie is a rookie, no matter the age.

The 18 year old rookie was the highest scoring forward on the Vancouver team by 10 points.

The penguins rookie came in 4th for scoring.

Edit: Huge hypothetical

But honestly Ekblad is being suggested at times and the few Florida games I've watched he is the best defensemen for Florida out on the ice.

Klingberg hasn't really given me that feeling that he is the best Dallas Defensemen.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
"To the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League". I don't see age anywhere in that statement, so therefore age shouldn't be a factor.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Klingberg's stats are good but he's older and plays on a much better team. It has to be taken into consideration.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Because when specifically talking about the Calder award, age is simply not a factor that voters are told to consider. Now of course, you can argue that human bias will cause them to potentially consider age anyway. However, the award is simply for best rookie not best rookie relative to their age.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
The 18 year old rookie was the highest scoring forward on the Vancouver team by 10 points.

The penguins rookie came in 4th for scoring.

Edit: Huge hypothetical
Still I don't see how the younger guy playing for Vancouver would win, unless he played less games and has a much better ppg ratio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad