If Edmonton doesn't make the SCF this year, is the departure of either McDavid or Draisaitl inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
You realize the Canucks beat them all 4 games this year by a combined score of 21-9, right? It wouldn't be that surprising if they can't get past the Canucks.

Regular season means nothing. I'll take McDavid and the Oilers have actually won some series in the past couple of years where the Canucks didn't even qualify. Outside of a weird COVID bubble 4 years ago the Canucks are incredibly inexperienced in the playoffs. They have the talent to do it but I'm skeptical if they know how to at this time.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Nope, way better teams have not one the cup, also most fans and people who follow the league k ow that Edmonton needs better D and goalies.

This team can win with their current configuration, assuming Skinner doesn’t have a complete meltdown in the playoffs again, which I’m encouraged he won’t by his play this season directly after getting humiliated last postseason. Getting yanked that many times can do a number on a goalie’s psyche.

The Oilers were 4th in GF and 8th in GA this season, their most well balanced effort since McDavid entered the league, and that’s while factoring in a horrific differential of -21 through their first 12 games (31 GF-52 GA).

As I said before, anything less than playing for the Cup this very postseason is a failure. They have what is needed to win it.

Reactions: sanscosm

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
It would depend on who they played, I suppose. I have missed one SCF and Cup presentation in last 50years (storm knocked out power in the 2nd period of Sid’s first Cup) but I'm not certain I’d be watching this year if any of the western Canadian teams made the final.
Even Nashville drawing Vancouver was a bit of downer after and we are debating if we’ll go to the game next Sunday afternoon.

you say it would depend on who they play and you might watch. Yes, but that is you not watching the games, and just because you won't won't watch doesn't mean it's going to be a ratings disaster. No offense, but it's pretty arrogant to believe that because you won't watch, nobody will, as if your opinion actually means anything in the grand scheme of things. you're just one person.

Reactions: dieselbaby

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It would depend on who they played, I suppose. I have missed one SCF and Cup presentation in last 50years (storm knocked out power in the 2nd period of Sid’s first Cup) but I'm not certain I’d be watching this year if any of the western Canadian teams made the final.
Why's that? I mean, we all have our favourite and less-fav clubs. But all three play some good hockey.

And if it's a USA / Canada thing, both Van and Winipeg have a ton of aewsome American stars too - Boeser, Demko, Miller, Hughs, Connor, Helly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
you say it would depend on who they play and you might watch. Yes, but that is you not watching the games, and just because you won't won't watch doesn't mean it's going to be a ratings disaster. No offense, but it's pretty arrogant to believe that because you won't watch, nobody will, as if your opinion actually means anything in the grand scheme of things. you're just one person.
TV viewership in the US is even more regional than Canada and removing a market is tough, not too mention the SCF will be on ESPN/ABC . If a hard core fan like me is not interested in a Florida Edmonton final, for e.g., my guess is it will be hard to draw eyes. I could be wrong.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How is trading one of their two best players a solution to losing?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It feels that way. We won't have an easier path than this to the western final at least.
The Oilers won't trade them but the deals are coming up. If it doesn't work now, there wouldn't be reason to believe it could work later. They'd leave just to try a different team out with a different D-goalie makeup

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Neither player is going anywhere. They love the team. Love the city. Love playing together.
They can't go anywhere as a duo and have a better chance to win than Edmonton.
100% He's not guaranteed to win the cup if he leaves. He is guaranteed to not play with McDavid though.

Players leave for 2 reasons.....money or the team. Neither apply to Drai, he loves the team and he'll get the contract he wants.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Neither player is going anywhere. They love the team. Love the city. Love playing together.
They can't go anywhere as a duo and have a better chance to win than Edmonton.
That and it’s probably going to be harder to find big contract space on a competitive team another summer or so even with the cap jump. Not to say nowhere, but there probably won’t be like 6 options, and they might have other needs

And Edmonton has shown they understand and are willing to overpay to keep someone in town so it partly depends on whether on or the other is interested in maxing out their contract potential

Mar 26, 2010
I don’t think they move either of them.
They really good teams had 2 superstars when they won their cups.
Crosby/Malkin
Stamkos/Kucherov
Kane/Toews
They don’t have the choice. Both players hold all the cards as they will be UFA’s.

• Haha
Reactions: Macheteops

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I'm sure McDavid and Drai are looking at each other saying "can't wait to get away from this guy, I'll have much better Cup chances without him".

Reactions: Shibumi and Pip

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Regular season means nothing. I'll take McDavid and the Oilers have actually won some series in the past couple of years where the Canucks didn't even qualify. Outside of a weird COVID bubble 4 years ago the Canucks are incredibly inexperienced in the playoffs. They have the talent to do it but I'm skeptical if they know how to at this time.
Teams can win with no experience. Blackhawks were very young and inexperienced when they won their 1st. LA Kings had alot of inexperience. Not everyone is the Avs that require like 5 kicks at it.

Not saying Canucks are going to do that, But to discredit them based off of experience is also a odd one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Teams can win with no experience. Blackhawks were very young and inexperienced when they won their 1st. LA Kings had alot of inexperience. Not everyone is the Avs that require like 5 kicks at it.

Not saying Canucks are going to do that, But to discredit them based off of experience is also a odd one.
Partially true. Chicago went to the conference finals the year before their first win, and LA had made the playoffs the 2 years prior to their cup win before their underdog win. It doesn't happen very often that teams win it with their first kick at the can, and its even more rare for teams that haven't won rounds with most of the same roster in the couple years prior.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t see them making the SCF. The team isn’t much different from last year’s team that got beat by Vegas even with McDrai having insane stats. Goaltending and D are really suspect. That said, I think the odds are both players stay until McDavids contract is up at least.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

No it's not odd at all actually and it's done constantly when new up and coming teams start making the playoffs. Lack of playoff experience has never once been considered a positive thing.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We haven't played a single playoff game and there is already a thread on McDrai leaving in 2 or 3 years?lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, the seeds are in place before we play a single game

If we win it was our easy regular schedule and our easy playoff schedule
If we lose it's because we suck and McDrai are leaving

I'm 100% positive that if we win the Cup (and I don't think we will) that there will be threads talking about how we suck than there are acknowledging it.lol

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Also, the seeds are in place before we play a single game

If we win it was our easy regular schedule and our easy playoff schedule
If we lose it's because we suck and McDrai are leaving

I'm 100% positive that if we win the Cup (and I don't think we will) that there will be threads talking about how we suck than there are acknowledging it.lol

Only the first 2 rounds seem easy. West finals and finals are gonna be a bloodbath for anyone. Best of luck to the Oilers.

Reactions: Czechboy

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
No it's not odd at all actually and it's done constantly when new up and coming teams start making the playoffs. Lack of playoff experience has never once been considered a positive thing.
Doesn't mean a thing end of the day. Just because Oilers and Avs have failed many times before really mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad