If Edmonton doesn't make the SCF this year, is the departure of either McDavid or Draisaitl inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where either of them leave. I think both re-sign to enormous contracts. You just aren’t going to get a trade offer that makes you better.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think if Edmonton doesn't win the Pacific bracket it might be the biggest chokejob of the McDavid era. Worse than them getting swept by Winnipeg and Colorado.

Their bracket is Vancouver, LA and Nashville. Two of those three teams missed the playoffs last year, the other the Oilers beat 2x in a row.

I don't know if Drai leaves though because I imagine Edmonton will pay him more than anyone else would.

Strongly disagree that it would be a choke job. All of those teams are good, all could feasibly beat the Oilers, they aren’t perennial favourites. Vancouver beat the Oilers four times this year, in example.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's hard to keep track of these things. One day they have horrible D and goaltending and are pretenders, the next day anything short of a Finals or a cup is an embarrassment.
Also, and I think it was you that said it as it cracked me up.. everyone has a good year because they are carried by McD. He makes Drai better, Hyman better, RNH better, Bouch better. But when we suggest that he should win the Hart - he's bum!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Strongly disagree that it would be a choke job. All of those teams are good, all could feasibly beat the Oilers, they aren’t perennial favourites. Vancouver beat the Oilers four times this year, in example.
I wouldn't be surprised is Nashville and LA made it to the Western Final. There isn't a weak team in the West playoffs. Then you got the big 6 and anyone could win it amongs them too. I think god we avoided Vegas and they are playing the Stars though.. two nightmare opponents.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think that is a generalization. I am not from USA or Argentina but I watched GOATs (Lebron, Brady, Messi, etc) from other countries who are not on my favorite teams when they play for championships. It is the pinnacle of a sport and the greatest having a chance to play for it will always draw fans.

You’re an intelligent sports fan who puts aside make believe tribalism to watch the masters of their craft at work. Sadly, not enough are like that.

Reactions: On The Prowl

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
You got to admit it's a pretty favorable bracket. The defending champs are now in the other division.

Here - just based on points this season:

Vancouver has the lowest point total of any divisional winner this year.
Edmonton has the lowest point total of any divisional second seed this year.
LA has the second worst point total of any divisional third seed this year.
All that means shit. This is a clean slate. Seattle went pretty far last year, just about anything can happen. One or two of the top teams get’s the boot in the first round every year.

Evil__Homer

Jun 7, 2006
I want the Oilers to win but I just can’t see it with there goalies.
Years of rebuilding and still just crap goaltending, sure they’re ok but there are way better goalies out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yes. They will trade Dries to OTT for Brady (plus other pieces to even it out) if they don't make it far, and Dries will re-sign since he'll get to play with his fellow German friend in Stutz.

First and foremost I think the Oil will retain Drai and that would be my preference BUT if there was some reason they felt they didn’t have the right mix and wanted to move on from Drai or shake things up, then your proposed deal is exactly what I’d be looking for.

Maybe something like this…..

To OTT: Draisaitl, Kane

To EDM: Tkachuk, Pinto

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country
First and foremost I think the Oil will retain Drai and that would be my preference BUT if there was some reason they felt they didn’t have the right mix and wanted to move on from Drai or shake things up, then your proposed deal is exactly what I’d be looking for.

How does trading your second best player and 5 time 100+ point man make the team better? Also a complete monster come playoff time…yikes

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How does trading your second best player and 5 time 100+ point man make the team better? Also a complete monster come playoff time…yikes
I said right at the outset I would prefer to keep Drai, but if I’m playing devil’s advocate, I’ll say this - you gain cap space to provide better depth/upgrade elsewhere. I don’t think Tkachuk will ever be as good as Drai, but he should be a 90+ point guy if he plays with McDavid. He is extremely physical and can drop the gloves and protect McDavid. Kane provided that in stretches, but doesn’t play engaged as consistently as he should. Tkachuk never takes a shift off, whereas sometimes Drai does.

Tkachuk is on a good contract for 3 additional years beyond Drai. I think it lengthens the competitive window, especially after McDavid signs what could be a 16-17 mil contract. Drai at 12.5ish or Tkachuk at 8.2.

And then you have Pinto, a RH center trending up (probably signs a 2-3 yr deal worth 3-4mil) vs Kane at 5.15. Both likely provide similar production. So you can see the cp savings allow for another 5 mil player (or upgrade of 5 mil above an existing players contract).

But again, I prefer to keep Drai

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don’t think they move either of them.
They really good teams had 2 superstars when they won their cups.
Crosby/Malkin
Stamkos/Kucherov
Kane/Toews

The 2009 Pens were one of the most least talented teams outside of Crosby and Malkin to ever win the Cup.

Malkin and Crosby outscored the next best Pens scorer by over 100% in both the regular season and the playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Based on the bracket the Oilers should at least make the WCF again even with some of their roster shortcomings. If they do i don't think there will be much changes.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

With Pinto? Lol i wouldnt BET on this trade getting accepted

Mar 26, 2010
The Oilers will be out in the first round. They ain’t going to get anywhere close to the Stanley Cup. Book it.

Let go Kings!!!!

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
How many more years can they withstand futility without a drastic change?

p.s. Oilers fans, don't get mad at this thread. Consider it an anti-jinx in your team's favor.
Yes, exactly how AO left the Caps after not winning for so long, one of them will leave.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I have been collecting evidence pertaining to the matter and I'm buying a corkboard for my office wall to lay it all out and connect the dots using string and thumbtacks. I've tried to formulate a working theory about what may happen without being influenced by conjecture.

A lot of my fellow Oilers fans have convinced themselves that their future contracts are a given, and that there's no chance they'll leave. Their reasoning is based mainly on a few points:

1) "Drai and McD are best buddies and so are their significant others, therefore they'll never leave each other"

That's not enough to go on. These guys get summers off (along with bye weeks/all-star) and have the money to charter planes to fly themselves and/or their girlfriends anywhere they want, at any time. They can live in different cities and play for different teams and remain close (look at how the core players from the 80s Oilers are still close friends despite all having left Edmonton during their playing careers). Also, yes the McDavid's built a dream home in Edmonton, but I'm pretty sure they can afford to start fresh and build multiple dream homes anywhere they want.

2) "No other contender can afford them"

The league is full of teams who would do whatever they can to make room to add a center like Draisaitl, a top-5 center in the league and one of the best playoff performers of his generation. If you don't think Vegas would find a way to acquire/sign Leon you're kidding yourself. If Carolina disappoints this year they'd do the same thing. When it comes to McDavid 32 GMs would do anything short of sacrificing their firstborn child to make room for him.

3) "Jeff Jackson wouldn't have taken the job unless McDavid told him he wants to stay"

I can think of millions of other reasons why Jackson would have accepted the job ($$$).

When asked to comment on his future, and whether he'd stay in Edmonton to play with McDavid, Draisaitl recently said:

“At the end of the day, he's going to do what's best for him, and I'm going to have to do the same thing for me" (Edmonton's Iron Horse: Draisaitl the next big Canadian contract to watch)

In the above interview Leon had the opportunity to express his love for being an Oiler and a desire to stay in Edmonton, and he didn't. "we'll see how it plays out" is as much as we get from him. Therefore based on the evidence we have from the man himself, it's hard to rationalize feeling certain that he wants to remain an Oiler. The big question if he leaves becomes: does that mean McDavid follows?

Reactions: Iggys Dome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad