If Dallas Wins, Will it be the Biggest Giant-Slaying Run?

nhl2002

Apr 28, 2015
If Dallas were to win the Cup, they would have to go through the following teams based on the round robin / play-in results -

6 seed Calgary
2 seed Colorado
1 seed Vegas
2 seed Tampa

By regular season pts %, they would have beaten 3, 4, 8, and 19th best teams. Is there another team that has faced this high level of competition and won the Cup?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, the Kings came to mind immediately for me as well when I saw this thread title.

Reactions: illpucks

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
tenor.gif

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Plus they absolutely dismantled every team. They were 15-2 at one point before the Devils took Games 4 and 5.

I remember watching that run and the abject domination LA had over every opponent. NJ was lucky to get two wins let alone even one on home ice. LA only lost one road game that entire run as well as three loses at home, unfreakingbelievable.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
If Dallas were to win the Cup, they would have to go through the following teams based on the round robin / play-in results -

6 seed Calgary
2 seed Colorado
1 seed Vegas
2 seed Tampa

By regular season pts %, they would have beaten 3, 4, 8, and 19th best teams. Is there another team that has faced this high level of competition and won the Cup?

Calgary is week and Vegas finished 4 points ahead playing 2 more games, the only team they have beet that was “better” was Colorado and they had injury issues it’s hardly some big underdog story thus far.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think it's really more a case of a well constructed sun belt team flying under the radar. I would have said goaltending would be the only possible weakness heading in but Khodobin has obviously more than filled the bill.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Actually LA faced 1, 3, 9, and 11 ranked teams in 2012, which is more impressive
L.A. was known to be a good team that was saving it for the playoffs though. I don't think anyone thought that highly of Dallas this year. I'm not sure what the point of the OP is exactly, but if it's biggest upsets, then I'd say Dallas is more surprising (if they beat Tampa). If it's who beat the higher seeded teams, then yeah you're right

Reactions: Devonator

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Weren’t the Stars top of the West for a short time before the Avs and Knight went on streaks? They kinda had a slump that dropped them in the standings.

They beat on my Oilers badly in the regular season with their stifling D and excellent puck moving. What I’m seeing in the SCF is pretty much the same.

Reactions: Devonator and LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad