If CBJ win the lottery...?

You are Jarmo. Would you

• Total voters

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
So, a thought experiment here just to idle away some hours.

If Jarmo has pick number 1, the options are compelling to think about.

Feel free to explain your reasoning. Don’t feel free to be the killjoy who points out that 2.5% odds are small and that this is a waste of a conversation.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think you have to not over think it and just draft Lafreniere number 1.

As much as I'd like to see what Ottawa would add to #2 so they get Alex an then we draft Byfield, I think getting Panarin part 2 is the better move.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So, a thought experiment here just to idle away some hours.

If Jarmo has pick number 1, the options are compelling to think about.

Feel free to explain your reasoning. Don’t feel free to be the killjoy who points out that 2.5% odds are small and that this is a waste of a conversation.

Man, you just destroyed (but probably won't stop) the gang who can't just go with the flow. :laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm perfectly allowed to be the killjoy because my name is in blue. :P ;)

Honestly, I'd look at where Ottawa ends up first. I guess I'm just not as sold on Lafreniere as most. :dunno:

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Depends on the offers we'd get.

-If we were offered Eichel, do that since you hope Lafreniere is as good as Eichel currently is
-If Det. offered us their #1 pick(say #3) & next year's #1, I'd do that since you'd have a dang good shot at back to back top 3's
-If Ott offered both their #1's(say #3 & #6 as someone else suggested) I'd do that as I think there's gonna be someone outside top 3 that ends up better than Lafreniere. For instance, would you rather have Q. Hughes & Kotkaniemi or Dahlin? Seider & Dach or J. Hughes?
-If the offers for the #1 are just a bunch of later round/future picks, take Lafreniere

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
There is too much misery in the world right now. I’m retreating to my head where everything is like the scene of Gene Wilder singing Pure Imagination despite what Viqsi says about being a killjoy mod :tmi:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
For me either pick 1st overall or trade for Eichel.

Pretty much where I'm at. See if Buffalo would do Eichel for Laf straight up (no adds on our end). If they won't, just draft Laf.

I'd maybe also consider trading down to #2 if Detroit or Ottawa has it and you either get Ottawa's other first this year or Detroit's first next year, but would absolutely not under any circumstances trade lower than Byfield. Even if Ottawa has #3 and #4, that's not enough for #1. Even if Detroit offers #3 and next year's first, that's not enough (it's still a greater than 50% chance it won't even be a top-3 pick next year, and that's even including the assumption they finish last, which isn't a guarantee).

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Depends on the offers we'd get.

-If we were offered Eichel, do that since you hope Lafreniere is as good as Eichel currently is
-If Det. offered us their #1 pick(say #3) & next year's #1, I'd do that since you'd have a dang good shot at back to back top 3's
-If Ott offered both their #1's(say #3 & #6 as someone else suggested) I'd do that as I think there's gonna be someone outside top 3 that ends up better than Lafreniere. For instance, would you rather have Q. Hughes & Kotkaniemi or Dahlin? Seider & Dach or J. Hughes?
-If the offers for the #1 are just a bunch of later round/future picks, take Lafreniere

The general thoughts of most scouts seem to be Laf is around the Matthews/MacKinnon/Dahlin tier. Not a McDavid level, but above a lot of the other recent #1s. To me, you do not trade that for #3 and #6.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The ideal trade scenario would be to win the first overall and have Montreal win 2 or 3. And then you do the NHL equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade. Montreal wouldn’t be able to resist.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You take Lafreniere. He's ready to be a good player in the NHL, and he'd form a nice French power-forward topline along with Dubois. I don't know if he'll ever be a 90 pt type guy but he's a very safe pick to be a good scorer with a heavy all-around game.

The only alternative I could imagine is if by chance, New Jersey wanted to trade #6, #10, and #15 for #1, or if Ottawa gets #5 and #6 and really wants to trade up. Those would be good deals with how deep this top end is. Rossi, Sanderson, and Mercer would be better than Lafreniere, or maybe Rossi and Raymond. Something like that.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Jarmo always does the last thing that I’m thinking with the first pick in every draft, so I feel like he’d trade down to #4 and take Sanderson. I also think that trading down from #1 would be quite rewarding if Laf is not the very top guy on your list. If Ottawa would offer two top 6 picks you take that, but that seems outlandish to me. More than likely most offers to move down a few spots would be multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks, which we are obviously lacking and could benefit from. It just depends what the teams final list is and where they draw the lines in the tiers/priority grouping.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Lets not overthink this right... you get moved for 15 to 1??? LAF PLD CAM.. I'm ready to give that top line a whirl for the next decade

and now that we could lose to Toronto and actually get the #1 pick I'm rooting to beat the TML, but if not I think I would try and trade #1 for two of Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, or Rossi. That of course is assuming that Ottawa would pull the trigger.. but I think they would

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
NBCSN/Sportsnet - 8PM ET

Team odds
Since not every team played the same number of games, they have been ranked by points percentage at the time of the March NHL pause.
1. Red Wings – 18.5%
2. Senators – 13.5%
3. Senators – 11.5%*
4. Kings – 9.5%
5. Ducks – 8.5%
6. Devils – 7.5%
7. Sabres – 6.5%
==================
8. Team A – 6%
9. Team B – 5%
10. Team C – 3.5%
11. Team D – 3%
12. Team E – 2.5%
13. Team F – 2%
14. Team G – 1.5%
15. Team H – 1%

How to watch 2020 NHL Draft Lottery - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports[/QUOTE]

Does anybody else get the same feeling as me? Team C wins first pick.. Columbus you are not C, you are D this blows big time.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I personally voted for keep the pick and take Laf without looking back. However, I would think hard about dropping back to #2 and taking Byfield and additional assets. If you take Laf, you can move another wing for help at C.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad