If CBJ win the lottery...?

You are Jarmo. Would you

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How about Foudy on the top line with PLD and Lafreniere so every Francophone kid in Canada would want a CBJ jersey?

Foudy is half Francophone and doesn't have a French name. Alexandre Texier, on the other hand...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Foudy is half Francophone and doesn't have a French name. Alexandre Texier, on the other hand...

Yes, but Foudy brings the non Quebec Francophones as his mom is from a French speaking part of Ontario. And the French Canadians all know his mom, whose name is ... France.

Besides, PLD’s mom is from Atlanta, if we are nitpicking the Frenchness of our French Canadians.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, but Foudy brings the non Quebec Francophones as his mom is from a French speaking part of Ontario. And the French Canadians all know his mom, whose name is ... France.

Besides, PLD’s mom is from Atlanta, if we are nitpicking the Frenchness of our French Canadians.

It's not nitpicking. Half of Canada has French family, it's unremarkable. My older brother and two of my cousins all married Francophones from Quebec. The stuff that Francophone hockey fans are interested in is the first language and the names.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Sorry, we say 'Freedom', not 'French.'

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
The general thoughts of most scouts seem to be Laf is around the Matthews/MacKinnon/Dahlin tier. Not a McDavid level, but above a lot of the other recent #1s. To me, you do not trade that for #3 and #6.

I'd rather have Hughes & Kotkaniemi any day of the week over Dahlin, so give me the #3 & #5.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I voted to take Laf but if we win #1 and Ottawa would trade 3 &5 for it I wonder. Stutzle or Byfield at 3 and then either Raymond or Rossi at 5 would make me consider it.

Reactions: Fro

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
The #1 vs 3 and 5 is an interesting one, particularly in a draft like this where there is clear #1. If Lafreniere is the undisputed #1 on CBJs list, you probably have to take that pick. If you have Lafreniere and Byfield close, you still probably take the pick at #1, (unless you can trade down to #2), because Byfield is unlikely to be available at 3. If you have any other order with Stutzle, Rossi, Raymond, Drysdale, Sanderson, Holtz, etc, anywhere rated above Lafreniere, then you gotta trade down to 3 and 5 and walk away with your two favorite.

I see CBJ needing to add a center to complement Dubois, and a play driving top 6 wing. We could potentially have that in Foudy, Texier, and Bemstrom but that it’s TBD. You could very easily plug those holes at #3 and #5. If you take the pick at #1, you add that superstar to carry the top line like we saw with Nash and Bread. It’s a win-win.

xxxx-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-xxxx-Atkinson
(Texier-Foudy-Bemstrom)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you have Lafreniere and Byfield close, you still probably take the pick at #1, (unless you can trade down to #2), because Byfield is unlikely to be available at 3.

Let us say the Jackets really like Byfield and Raymond. Maybe the Jackets board is:

Lafreniere
Byfield

Stutzle
Raymond

Drysdale
Sanderson

Bunch of forwards

They could also have a deal in place with Ottawa, assuming Ottawa has a board like

Laf

Stutzle

(big gap)

Byfield
Drysdale
everyone else

So Ottawa really wants to move up and is willing to trade their two high picks and maybe more.

They could let the draft start and the deal would be that if the Kings take Stutzle, the Senators take Byfield, and the Wings take Drysdale, the Jackets would then trade Laf for Byfield and the 5th pick to get Raymond. (Plus whatever other pieces that would make the trade work, like maybe Ottawa sends us a 2nd as well.)

It might never happen and nobody would even know it was a possibility until Jarmo or someone in Ottawa writes a book 10 years later saying what might have been.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This will never happen.. we are the CBJ, our lottery ball will never ever get through that hole... but trading #1 for Byfield and Raymond or Stutzle and Rossi would definitely impact our CBJ in a very positive way.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I can't answer this poll because my feeling is I would be willing to drop as low as #3 but not beyond that. So I guess my answer would have to be "stay at #1".

I know Lafreniere (AL) is the consensus #1 overall pick but he's not a generational talent and I am not sure he is a slam dunk better player that Stutzle (TS). Not to mention TS played this year vs men in the DEL and put up impressive numbers while AL is flashing his greatness vs other kids.

I am not dissing on AL but if you could trade him for TS and get another productive piece I would be interested in that.

As for Byfield (QB), the kid has size to dominate in Juniors and he may make a great pro but I worry he is not a dynamic playmaker and that's what we are missing. Two years of Bread followed by one year without him has convinced me of that. So yes to AL or yes to TS but not giving up AL for QB.

Reactions: rotsbu

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Jackets win the lottery and trade first overall pick to acquire Jack Eichel.
And immediately be in Cap hell...

Keep the pick, take the best player in the draft (who also happens to fit the CBJ style of play with a high end skill level). Trade another wing or 2 for C help and then you can work to keep the core together and add an elite piece to it. I'm not hating on Eichel but adding him creates a short and long term issue for the CBJ.

Reactions: Doggy

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
I can't answer this poll because my feeling is I would be willing to drop as low as #3 but not beyond that. So I guess my answer would have to be "stay at #1".

I know Lafreniere (AL) is the consensus #1 overall pick but he's not a generational talent and I am not sure he is a slam dunk better player that Stutzle (TS). Not to mention TS played this year vs men in the DEL and put up impressive numbers while AL is flashing his greatness vs other kids.

I am not dissing on AL but if you could trade him for TS and get another productive piece I would be interested in that.

As for Byfield (QB), the kid has size to dominate in Juniors and he may make a great pro but I worry he is not a dynamic playmaker and that's what we are missing. Two years of Bread followed by one year without him has convinced me of that. So yes to AL or yes to TS but not giving up AL for QB.
I agree with your assessment 100%. If I were Jurmo I would challenge the scouts to convince me AL is truly better for the Jackets needs. LA will take Byfield IMO and I view him as a project. I could see trading down to #3 with Ottawa and get our 2nd round pick back.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
And immediately be in Cap hell...

Keep the pick, take the best player in the draft (who also happens to fit the CBJ style of play with a high end skill level). Trade another wing or 2 for C help and then you can work to keep the core together and add an elite piece to it. I'm not hating on Eichel but adding him creates a short and long term issue for the CBJ.
We’re talking a proven franchise center vs a blue chip prospect. I’m sure Columbus can sort the salary cap issues to have him

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I agree with your assessment 100%. If I were Jurmo I would challenge the scouts to convince me AL is truly better for the Jackets needs. LA will take Byfield IMO and I view him as a project. I could see trading down to #3 with Ottawa and get our 2nd round pick back.

If you're trading #1 for #3, you better be getting #5 coming back (or Ott's first next year or at the very least "the option to flip first round picks with Ottawa next year" a la the trade to get Rick Nash), not a mid-second round pick. Keep in mind in 2012, we turned down #2 for #4 and every other NYI pick (including #34 and all the rest of their picks they had in the entire draft).

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
We’re talking a proven franchise center vs a blue chip prospect. I’m sure Columbus can sort the salary cap issues to have him

I agree with this. We can find a way to make it work via other trades or whatnot. To me, you take the sure thing. Buffalo might want to do it if they think they have a bit of a rebuild to do, get a little younger and save some money and if they think/know Eichel might want out. But give me Eichel and then figure it out at that point. We're in a better cap situation than probably most of the other teams, and have a ton of guys coming off the books after next season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, I agree. A franchise center. His current Cap hit will force multiple moves the CBJ would not want to make to have a viable long term competitive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad