WJC: "If Canada lets Sweden win"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Interesting how the European teams have taken their inferiority complex with Canadians in hockey and turned it into a way to talk bad about Canadians and their integrity in international compeitition.

They DO know that it's a rule that you can't ref games for your home country right?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Interesting how the European teams have taken their inferiority complex with Canadians in hockey and turned it into a way to talk bad about Canadians and their integrity in international compeitition.

They DO know that it's a rule that you can't ref games for your home country right?

I was reading the other thread about "Canada giving Sweden Barrack like dressing rooms" and while I think its pretty funny, it does show you the psyche. I haven't heard peep from the US side about being treated like "second class" citizens by the Canadians yet surprise, surprise a newspaper in Sweden has an article about just that. Could it be they are laying the groundwork for excuses for their Swedish readership in case the Swedish team loses to either the US or Canada? Sounds like they lack confidence.

BTW, I love Swedes... they are some of the kindest people I ever met having studied there for a semester.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I was reading the other thread about "Canada giving Sweden Barrack like dressing rooms" and while I think its pretty funny, it does show you the psyche. I haven't heard peep from the US side about being treated like "second class" citizens by the Canadians yet surprise, surprise a newspaper in Sweden has an article about just that. Could it be they are laying the groundwork for excuses for their Swedish readership in case the Swedish team loses to either the US or Canada? Sounds like they lack confidence.

BTW, I love Swedes... they are some of the kindest people I ever met having studied there for a semester.

I was actually going to write that. We have never heard a peep out of the Americans for this tournament. They have as many heart breaking losses to Canada as any other team, but they take it in stride, re-tool, and do better. Look at their hockey programs now...getting bigger and stronger then ever. I honestly think that complaining and finding excuses is a losers mentality.

Dogbert*

I was actually going to write that. We have never heard a peep out of the Americans for this tournament. They have as many heart breaking losses to Canada as any other team, but they take it in stride, re-tool, and do better. Look at their hockey programs now...getting bigger and stronger then ever. I honestly think that complaining and finding excuses is a losers mentality.

Wouldn't it be great if the Americans punt the Swedes out of the tournament today? It's a harder match-up for Canada, but I'd love to see Sweden not even have the chance to use the excuses they've already made in case they run into us in the finals again.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Wouldn't it be great if the Americans punt the Swedes out of the tournament today? It's a harder match-up for Canada, but I'd love to see Sweden not even have the chance to use the excuses they've already made in case they run into us in the finals again.

What excuses have the Swedish players made already?

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås

And the swedish players haven't complained either. Unless it's something you are hearing in your own head.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island

I know what you mean - started on the fence with US vs Sweden but I'm starting to lean that way. But lets not forget that I think the Swedish whiners are only a vocal minority of their fans and they don't necessarily represent the view of the team.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Swedes have to defeat the US first before getting a chance at Canada. That may or may not occur. The US team doesn't complain because it would give Team Canada and their fans more ammunition. There is no percentage in taking that course. Canada is hard enough to play without giving them bulletin board motivation.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
The Swedes have to defeat the US first before getting a chance at Canada. That may or may not occur. The US team doesn't complain because it would give Team Canada and their fans more ammunition. There is no percentage in taking that course. Canada is hard enough to play without giving them bulletin board motivation.

AND, Canada has to beat the Swiss to get to play the winner of the US/Sweden game.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
The only reason I can think of why Canada would let Sweden win is maybe the Swede's are promising to give the Canadians some of their hot blonde women? Young men are very horny and would do a lot for one of those swedish women

Snauen*

I honestly think that complaining and finding excuses is a losers mentality.
Cheating and none sportmanship is the REAL 'loser-mentality' . You are so afraid of loosing a stupid hockeygame that you'll make a fool of yourselves and your national-sport. And as someone correctly pointed out, we already beaten you in the "who's got most good looking women" category. And We are about 9 billion people yet a very succesfull sport and icehockey nation. Probably way better than Canada if you do a gold medal count in sports compared to the amount of people in the nation.

IRON JELLY*

Cheating and none sportmanship is the REAL 'loser-mentality' . You are so afraid of loosing a stupid hockeygame that you'll make a fool of yourselves and your national-sport. And as someone correctly pointed out, we already beaten you in the "who's got most good looking women" category. And We are about 9 billion people yet a very succesfull sport and icehockey nation. Probably way better than Canada if you do a gold medal count in sports compared to the amount of people in the nation.

9 billion people :amazed:

How come you don't win Gold every year with that kind of population? :sarcasm:

Snauen*

I thought this thread was about what Hannu Jortikka said in an interview? If there is something to it or not. Wich i believe there is. Some other people (Mostly Canadians) think otherwize, it's ok whit me. Therefore we have this debate. The biggest 'whiners' are them who whine about people for actually having a oppinion on theese boards.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Please tell me where Canadians have cheated and been poor sportsman?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Please tell me where Canadians have cheated and been poor sportsman?

Because we beat Sweden for the gold in prior years, obviously.

Like many others, I will be cheering for the USA tonight. Some of the Swede posters on this board have become as much of a gong show as certain Russia fans were during the run when Canada was beating Russia for the gold. Frankly, a small group of Swedish (anti-Canada?) supporters are embarassing a large group of very good Swedish posters on this board during this event.

Last edited:

Lomark

Nov 9, 2009
Because we beat Sweden for the gold in prior years, obviously.

So posts like these are allowed but the two posts I made were so out of line they had to be removed? Right moderators?!

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

We won't need any..

Lomark

Nov 9, 2009
This is just ridiculous. Any serious responses will just be removed. Keep your silly forums. Canada is my second favourite national team as it always has been. I care twice as much about the Flyers than I care about my local team. My all time favourite player is canadian... But this is just sad. I've lost almost all respect for the moderators and alot of canadian posters.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The Finnish coach Hannu Jortikka said to a Swedish newspaper: "Sweden has the best team in this tournament. I said even before the tournament started that Sweden was my favourite. This is if Canada lets them win. Having the best team isn't all that matters when you play over here"

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockeybladet/landslag/juniorhockey/article6365216.ab

I draw my conclusions from this, but what do you think he meant by it?

Sweden is the most talented Team no doubt, can they handle the pressure of the Gold Medal game. Markstrom has a year of experince under his belt and he might be able to shut down Canada.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
In the last 15 years the tournament has been held 5 times in Canada with Canada winning gold 3 times, the Russians the other 2 times.

It's been in the Czech Republic twice with Canada and Russia winning.

It’s been in Sweden twice with the Czech Republic and Canada winning.

It’s been in Finland twice with Finland and the USA winning.

It’s been in the USA twice with Canada winning both times.

It’s been in Russia once with the Czechs winning.

It’s been in Switzerland once with Canada winning.

If Canada can win without so called cheating in the USA, the Czech Republic, Sweden, and Switzerland, why would anyone be so low to insinuate that the wins in Canada are by cheating.

And what happened the two times the Russians won in Canada…did we forget to cheat?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Sweden is the most talented Team no doubt, can they handle the pressure of the Gold Medal game. Markstrom has a year of experince under his belt and he might be able to shut down Canada.

That's a silly statement. Not to say that they may or may not be the most talented team in the tourney, to add 'no doubt' to the end is laughable. If they are without a doubt the best team in this tourney then I expect they will have little trouble in beating both the USA and Canada over the next 2 games. If they do, you were right. If they don't, then your statement on the eve of a semi-final round is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad