Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Maybe: If Canada play hard and determined then it doesn't matter if Sweden is better?? Canada will give some key players in Sweden injuries? The refs will be biased? Canada has more luck? Canada has a psychologic advantage of beeing at home soil and defending champion?

Judging from the results so far, I think Canada is the best team in the tournament. Sweden is too weak in the defensive zone. Luckily Markström and high scoring might save Sweden ass though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
my conclusion: this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

My concusion: you don't know what he's talking about.

He meant that anything can happen in a single game, especially when the other team is playing in front of home crowd.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Canadians have played in Europe for the '92 (France), '94 (Norway) and '06 (Turin) Olympics, and won in '02 in Salt Lake City in the U.S.

This is our first Olympic home-ice advantage in decades. I doubt few of you share the same view as Finland's Olympic coach but it's a bit disturbing this kind of feeling exists at all. I'm sure Canadian refs will undoubtedly make some biased calls but not all refs love Team Canada or the players on it, so they might not necessarily be biased in favor of us. Not all refs are Canadian either so ._.

These calls happen all the time in hockey. It's fun to ***** about the injustice but really, this is why you need a good PK- because in the big-games those kinds of bs calls happen. If you have a good PK that works together then that's one less worry when it comes to game time.

All teams coming in should be pretty prepared for a raucous crowd but it's not like Vancouver's going to come out wildly booing our Sedins or harassing Forsberg with pitchforks outside his hotel or anything.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Canadians have played in Europe for the '92 (France), '94 (Norway) and '06 (Turin) Olympics, and won in '02 in Salt Lake City in the U.S.

This is our first Olympic home-ice advantage in decades. I doubt few of you share the same view as Finland's Olympic coach but it's a bit disturbing this kind of feeling exists at all. I'm sure Canadian refs will undoubtedly make some biased calls but not all refs love Team Canada or the players on it, so they might not necessarily be biased in favor of us. Not all refs are Canadian either so ._.

All teams coming in should be pretty prepared for a raucous crowd but it's not like Vancouver's going to come out wildly booing our Sedins or harassing Forsberg with pitchforks outside his hotel or anything.
Hes talking about WJC

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
It's pretty clear he talks about playing in enemy land. Ref bias, crap and incidents constantly happening off the ice, home crowd, etc...

No Canadian has reffed a Team Canada game yet (nice try though). The reffing seemed tilted in Slovakias favor last game to be honest.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009

These calls happen all the time in hockey. It's fun to ***** about the injustice but really, this is why you need a good PK- because in the big-games those kinds of bs calls happen. If you have a good PK that works together then that's one less worry when it comes to game time.

He was talking about the JWC.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
The Finnish coach Hannu Jortikka said to a Swedish newspaper: "Sweden has the best team in this tournament. I said even before the tournament started that Sweden was my favourite. This is if Canada lets them win. Having the best team isn't all that matters when you play over here"

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockeybladet/landslag/juniorhockey/article6365216.ab

I draw my conclusions from this, but what do you think he meant by it?

I don't think it was a compliment to Canada ( team or country ) - seems like a cheap shot comment. I think it might be time for the Euro's to host/organise this event for a while... as much as I love hosting this tournament not sure I enjoy whats implied.

What do you think he meant Nordic?

Temppu

Nov 28, 2009
Like somebody said, he meant that in a single game, everything can happen.

Sweden doesn't have to win, if Canada plays so that it loses.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Like somebody said, he meant that in a single game, everything can happen.

Sweden doesn't have to win, if Canada plays so that it loses.

Its the part where he says "when you play over here" that I find a little insidious. It seems to imply that it wouldn't happen if played elsewhere.

Knockout

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah, I'd say it implies Canada the country not letting them win, rather than Canada the team.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
All this whining because one coach doesn't think Canada is the best country in the tournament? Good lord, talk about mental insecurity.

Davebo*

All this whining because one coach doesn't think Canada is the best country in the tournament? Good lord, talk about mental insecurity.

Big time! :D

Anyone who subscribes to that therory has issues. We even forced that young Russian last year to ice the puck. Near trick, eh?

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
He is saying, that Sweden has slight edge, but that Canada can play hard and simply not let the better team on paper to win. This I think it stems from Finnish national teams having often upset teams that are stronger on paper, by just refusing to let them win.
To be honest, a loud vocal minority of Canadian supporters have started to sound a bit paranoid. :P

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
My conclusions are that it must suck being a Finnish player.. playing on a team where your coach is in the media talking about how Sweden and Canada are better teams.
:laugh:

Aim high Suomi!

dfk711*

My conclusions are that it must suck being a Finnish player.. playing on a team where your coach is in the media talking about how Sweden and Canada are better teams.
:laugh:

Aim high Suomi!

it's not a secret that they are the best two teams, therefore i don't think any finnish player is thinking "damn, our coach thinks we suck so bad because he said sweden and russia are better"

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Obviously Canadians in these boards are not familiar with Jortikkas occasional brainfarts.

Nothing to get insecure about.

cenas*

Its always a joke when a north american ref is judging a north american team vs european team match internationally.

I think Jortikka is talking out of his ass and about ref bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad