Speculation: If Acquired, where would Kesler play in the line-up?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
3rd line center because I have faith if they go ahead and break the bank for Kesler, a true center, that they find some pocket change for an upgrade for Sid.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
The most logical thing to do would be putting Kesler on Crosby's RW but considering the brain-dead thing pens use as a HC he would be on Geno's LW.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Kesler does play with Sid, that's a pretty nasty top 6. Do you guys think Disco moves away from the F3 being so high?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The most logical thing to do would be putting Kesler on Crosby's RW but considering the brain-dead thing pens use as a HC he would be on Geno's LW.

Kunitz - Crosby - Gibbons
Kesler - Malkin - Neal
Pyatt - Jokinen - Vitale
Glass - Adams - Conner

61427-George-Takei-oh-my-gif-Dzvp.gif

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I don't get the 'move Kesler up and down the lineup' thing, as we have seen how long it can take to get chemistry with Sid.

I hope we would get some line stability, and moving Kesler through a couple lines would not help either of those lines in achieving that stability.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The more immediate need (and the most improvement) would be with him centering the third line (and yes, he has been significantly more effective than Sutter even with the likes of Glass, Pyatt and Ebbett. Not "guys like them," those three exact players).

That said, that's not the immediate reason to acquire him. The immediate reason to acquire him is (a) he addresses, though doesn't singlehandedly solve, every weakness of the roster (everywhere) at forward and, more importantly, (b) he happens to be available right now.

Guy like him is available once every 5 years. Maybe less often. If you can use him at all, it's absolutely necessary that you strike while the iron is hot, because it isn't going to be hot for long.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't get the 'move Kesler up and down the lineup' thing, as we have seen how long it can take to get chemistry with Sid.

I hope we would get some line stability, and moving Kesler through a couple lines would not help either of those lines in achieving that stability.

That's fair. I think it's more double shifting Sid/Geno/Kesler come playoffs. They'll show up on the third and fourth lines to burn teams who have only one legit shutdown pairing/center.

This year, I'd hope they're getting him only for Sid's RW. If we're keeping him beyond his current contract, I could see him sliding down to 3C as his game starts to drop off. At that point, you'd hope Ray has brought in some longterm solutions on wing.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That's fair. I think it's more double shifting Sid/Geno/Kesler come playoffs. They'll show up on the third and fourth lines to burn teams who have only one legit shutdown pairing/center.

This year, I'd hope they're getting him only for Sid's RW. If we're keeping him beyond his current contract, I could see him sliding down to 3C as his game starts to drop off. At that point, you'd hope Ray has brought in some longterm solutions on wing.

Gotcha. I'm down with that.

I think that would be smart, if DB goes that route. You got studs who thrive on extra ice time and a crappy bottom 6, which makes that option to double shift any of them, very viable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I hear you. I'm just saying what I think will happen. DB loves juggling lines.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Gotcha. I'm down with that.

I think that would be smart, if DB goes that route. You got studs who thrive on extra ice time and a crappy bottom 6, which makes that option to double shift any of them, very viable.

Problem is, alot of those in the media are saying the organization is viewing him as purely a Staal replacement at 3C.

I don't like that unless Shero is doing a couple more moves.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If Shero gets Bylsma another reliable 3C before the deadline, I think even Bylsma is not that stupid to not put Kesler on the first line.

He is. He'd play said 3rd line center with Crosby. 3 center model for the win! :facepalm:

I want to revise my previous statement I made about 3rd line center or Malkins left wing. There is also 2nd line center with Malkin on his left wing or 2nd line center with Malkin on Crosbys right wing. Dan will have too many options and that means he will screw it up.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The bottom 6 needs all the help it can get and theres still the Bennett option for Sid's RW.

My guess is he'd center the 3rd line. Worst place to put him would be on Geno's LW. Geno can have JJ, Gibbons, Megna or Pyatt. Geno and Neal can figure it out on their own.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He better play on Sid's wing and not languish on the third line wasting his talents.

Next season I still don't want him to be a third line center. You don't pay that much of money for guys to play on the third line.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Kesler would be great with Sid and Kunitz. RHS, great speed, good skill, 200 ft player. And when needed, he could slot in for some defensive center duties as well. He really should be with Sid, though.

Damn, I'm actually getting excited at the thought of him coming here now. But who could we possibly give up? They need forwards, and we don't really have any. Gillis might just be stupid enough to be tricked into something, though.

Last edited:

Gary Roberts

Have you seen my father?
Oct 23, 2009
If he comes out and plays with a ton of skill and physicality, I'd say he ends up centering Gladams

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He *should* be with Kunitz and Crosby. Kunitz - Crosby - Kesler and Bennett/Megna - Malkin - Neal would be the best top 6 in the league in pretty much every facet. And Dupuis - XXXX - Bennett/Megna would be 2/3rds of a very good 3rd line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
LW on Malkin's line.

I live by the Bylsma code, what's that you ask?

mnFnabX.jpg

Let's get to our game?

What's that you say, it doesn't answer the question?

Grind them *****es down...?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Does it really matter where he's slotted? He's obviously a huge upgrade over Gibbons or Suter. People like to joke about Bylsmas use of players, but his use of Kesler in the Olympics should indicate that no matter where he would potentially be in the lineup he'll get a ton of minutes. He'll get every chance to succeed here, and even if he's the 3C he'll get plenty of time on Sid's line. He would be a huge asset on the PP and PK as well.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This season? Sid's RW. Next season? Depends on free agency and what we could bring in. If we can build 3 lines, and bring in some nasty dudes for the 4th line who just go out and ruin people (a la Mike Rupp circa 2009)...that's ideal, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad