Speculation: If Acquired, where would Kesler play in the line-up?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The Kesler to the Pens rumors are very strong at the moment, as most of us know.

We all know Bylsma is quite conservative with the line-ups.

If we do acquire Kesler, where do we think Dan would play him?

I think this is a very important question, because we are going to have to give up a decent package to get the deal done. Do we really want to give up the asking price to upgrade from Sutter to Kesler at 3C? Do we really believe Dan would play him on Sid's RW?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think, because of Dupuis' injury, it's pretty much a no-brainer it will be with Sid, at least for now. Dupuis would be the real blocker to Kesler getting 1st line time ordinarily. And he'll be double-shifted at times to create matchup problems for the other team (playing 3C).

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think Sid would flip if we get Kesler and Sid still has to play with Gibbons. This isn't like last year when we got Iggy and DB didn't want to rock the boat and decided to "be loyal" to Dupius. DB or Sid ain't gonna care about Gibbons' feelings.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Where would he play? I'm sure Bylsma puts him at 3C with Pyatt and Glass.

Where should he play? Sid's RW.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You never know with Bylsma. Geno might have a new LW and Crosby will finally break or there's might be a new 3C/3LW/3RW, or Crosby might get a new RW. There's a slight chance that Crosby gets a new RW.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Kesler would play with Sid this year. In the future he might move to 3C.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think he'd almost have to be played as Crosby's winger given the lack of winger options in the system right now. Next year they might be able to afford trying him as a 3C but I don't think that'd work this season. the bottom 6 is going to be a mess with or without him

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he's a rover. If we don't pick up a another winger that can play with Sid, he'll play quite a bit there.

I want us to bring in a guy who can play center and wing as our 2nd move. Give us some flexibility.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
guess i put this stuff in the wrong thread:

Quote:
Mike Darnay ‏@MikeDarnay 3m
Penguins Top 9 forwards in their current state pic.twitter.com/4GsEaJ835P
https://twitter.com/MikeDarnay/status/440477236370894848/photo/1/large

Quote:
Mike Darnay ‏@MikeDarnay 3m
Penguins Top 9 forwards swapping Sutter for Kesler, adding a healthy Beau Bennett, and Jayson Megna pic.twitter.com/jVj9Yktn0v
https://twitter.com/MikeDarnay/status/440477376737476608/photo/1/large

Bylsma doesn't seem to understand or care for exploiting matchups, but the evidence suggests that he's big on having a tired system of zone starts. based on the graphs in post #700 i do believe that he'd play Kesler on Crosby's wing.

i get that he's a dunce who is prone to bizarre line-making decisions, but i think Kesler on Sid's RW would work for him based on how he deploys personnel.

i'd look for someone like Goc to fill out the 3C role. the Pirri trade could make Florida restless to move a forward to open up playing time for their newly acquired AHL scoring leader.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yep. I can see Ray being in love with the 3C model. But Sid is our matchup center. Kesler on his wing helps us alot more. Play the youth with a capable 3C.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I'd be fine with Kesler at 3C had Dupuis not gotten injured + we had better options for 3rd line wingers. We're missing Cooke and Kennedy hard right now.

Hate it or love it, this line-up with Kesler plus Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy would look pretty great.

But facing reality at the moment, I'd want Kesler with Sid, on the first PP and first PK. Also taking defensive zone shifts/face-offs at important times.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think he makes for a better center but the Pens play such an up and down game that I think he ends up fitting on Sids wing... and I do think Sid needs a winger that has a centers mentality.

I wasn't overly sold on him when the rumors first started but I'll take any winger that can skate enough to push back defenses and is over 6'.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he makes for a better center but the Pens play such an up and down game that I think he ends up fitting on Sids wing... and I do think Sid needs a winger that has a centers mentality.

I wasn't overly sold on him when the rumors first started but I'll take any winger that can skate enough to push back defenses and is over 6'.

RRP mentioned it, but seeing Sid work well with Bergeron, one would have to imagine Sid would love the idea of an elite two way guy with wheels flanking him.

Ask any Nucks fan, he's every bit as good at wing as he is at center.

I think you play Kesler largely with Sid this year and possibly the foreseeable future if another top line wing isn't brought in (or Bennett doesn't pan out). And then as he ages, you slide him back to center behind Sid/Geno.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
RRP mentioned it, but seeing Sid work well with Bergeron, one would have to imagine Sid would love the idea of an elite two way guy with wheels flanking him.

Ask any Nucks fan, he's every bit as good at wing as he is at center.

I think you play Kesler largely with Sid this year and possibly the foreseeable future if another top line wing isn't brought in (or Bennett doesn't pan out). And then as he ages, you slide him back to center behind Sid/Geno.

This is a good point.

He is as versatile as any forward in the league, but I thought I read that he much prefers playing center. Although, given the option to play on Crosby's winger is pretty unique.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I think he should be played on Sids wing if he is brought int. I also don't really think that we would need to acquire another center, because we could always slide jokinen down to the 3C spot and slide bennett in with Malkin and Neal when he is healthy. With a healthy duper on the 3rd line next year (i know that is a stretch :sarcasm:) i think that would make up for jokinens sofness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad