Proposal: If A Woodchuck Tkachuk Wood: OTT + STL + N.J.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
A trade like this would kind of kill the Blues. Especially if Tkachuk is getting an upper end contract. We really can’t trade 3 top 6 forwards and a first for tkachuk

edit. Read it wrong. We aren’t moving a pick in the proposal. However adding more cap with white isn’t really something that’s feasible right now.

Us Blues fans will always fantasize about getting Brady and Matt. But there’s no trade that would be mutually beneficial that would make sense right now considering both tkachuks look to be big pieces of their teams core. We’ll have to see if one of them ever becomes available in free agency

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Eh, I don't care if NJ keeps or dumps Johnsson. He struggled last year in a difficult season all around, but his salary doesn't really hurt the Devils and there's a decent enough chance he bounces back this season. Not worth paying to unload him though.

That leaves Tarasenko for a late 1st round pick, which is a bit more than I'd be willing to pay.

Not terrible though overall from NJ's perspective.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
A trade like this would kind of kill the Blues. Especially if Tkachuk is getting an upper end contract. We really can’t trade 3 top 6 forwards and a first for tkachuk

edit. Read it wrong. We aren’t moving a pick in the proposal. However adding more cap with white isn’t really something that’s feasible right now.

Us Blues fans will always fantasize about getting Brady and Matt. But there’s no trade that would be mutually beneficial that would make sense right now considering both tkachuks look to be big pieces of their teams core. We’ll have to see if one of them ever becomes available in free agency

With the exception of Perron and O'Reilly, St. Louis' core is all signed long term, so I'm not sure why preserving cap space would be paramount

I'm thinking Tkachuk would give the Blues a discount, so maybe he signs long term at Tarasenko's 7.5 million cap hit

Perron gets a raise to 5 million a season on his next contract, and in 2 years a 32 year old O'Reilly likely re-signs for less than his current 7.5 million cap hit, say a 5 year deal at 6 million per...

Then it's just a matter of filling the rest of the lineup with vets playing for the league minimum, and youngsters on their ELC

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Then it's just a matter of filling the rest of the lineup with vets playing for the league minimum, and youngsters on their ELC

That isn't the recipe to be competitive. The Blues futures is very weak, so you would be filling the team with tweeners and AHL level talent.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
This is why all these fan trade proposals and conversations are pointless, both the Ottawa and the Blues fans think they’re getting robbed big time. And Devils fans are just happy to see Johnsson in trade proposal regardless of the other pieces.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ottawa out: TB's 2022 2nd, Tkachuk, White
Ottawa in: Kyrou, Thomas, Johnsson

St. Louis out: Kyrou, Thomas, Tarasenko
St. Louis in: TB's 2022 2nd, Tkachuk, Stillman, White

New Jersey out: Stillman, Johnsson
New Jersey in: Tarasenko

Ottawa pick up a pair of talented young forwards just entering their prime, while also clearing White's contract

St. Louis bring home a pair of talented young forwards in Tkachuk and Stillman, while the overpaid White gives them a versatile forward for their bottom 6. They also pick up a late 2nd rd pick in 2022

New Jersey pick up an offensive winger with all-star credentials to play alongside Hughes, while also dumping the remaining 2 years of Johnsson's contract
Why are fans still posting Tkachuk trades ? Ottawa isn't trading him period . Their owner may be a cheap ass but he also made millions by being smart . I am sure he knows he needs some kind of draw to bring fans in and Tkachuk is that .

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why are fans still posting Tkachuk trades ? Ottawa isn't trading him period . Their owner may be a cheap ass but he also made millions by being smart . I am sure he knows he needs some kind of draw to bring fans in and Tkachuk is that .
It's just like all the Parayko to Edmonton threads or X player from Toronto to Toronto threads. HF has an obsession with bringing players home.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Not interested in trading stillman who we just drafted. I loved the pick. I’m down to trade wood though

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I'm not privy to the negotiations, but if Brady is either a) insisting on a short term deal that walks him to UFA, or b) only willing to sign long term if the Sens overpay, it would seem to me that he really doesn't want to be there

If that's the case, I think they should explore the idea of trading him...

As I said in the "Tkachuck frustrated" thread... Fans have been touting him as the team's future captain, well, IMO, it's not a good look when your future team leader is trying to squeeze every last nickel out of the organization that drafted him when they're already offering him a contract that would make him wealthier than 99% of the population

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
That isn't the recipe to be competitive. The Blues futures is very weak, so you would be filling the team with tweeners and AHL level talent.

I disagree, I think that is exactly the recipe for success... it's just a matter of bringing in the right vets, and hitting on your draft picks...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
No thank you from the Blues, We are not interested in trading Tarasenko WHILE ALSO losing Thomas AND Kyrou in the same trade. Honestly not interested in Trading Thomas and Kyrou at all. If B. Tkachuk wants to be a Blue he can come over in free agency when he gets there.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
With the exception of Perron and O'Reilly, St. Louis' core is all signed long term, so I'm not sure why preserving cap space would be paramount

I'm thinking Tkachuk would give the Blues a discount, so maybe he signs long term at Tarasenko's 7.5 million cap hit
You sweet innocent soul.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There is just a fundamental disagreement on Tarasenko's value. Friedman reported that NJ was scared away but his medicals. They clearly don't value him that high, whereas STL still feels like he's a premium asset. If these teams were on the same page a deal would have been done months ago.

Dumping Johnsson would be nice but NJ is not going to give up a 1st or an equivalent asset for a guy whose health they aren't sold on. We signed Tatar for free and have plenty of young, cheap internal forward options like Foote, Mercer, Thompson, and Holtz.

NJ is ready to push for the playoffs, they wouldn't have brought in Hamilton and Graves and Tatar if they weren't, but they're not quite ready to swing for the fences yet. It would be much better for NJ to wait until February and see if they're still in the hunt, and if they are it would be much cheaper to flip some mid picks and a few of their numerous prospects for rentals.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
not interested in losing stillman, but i'd made the trade because of the thread title alone.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
There is just a fundamental disagreement on Tarasenko's value. Friedman reported that NJ was scared away but his medicals. They clearly don't value him that high, whereas STL still feels like he's a premium asset. If these teams were on the same page a deal would have been done months ago.

Dumping Johnsson would be nice but NJ is not going to give up a 1st or an equivalent asset for a guy whose health they aren't sold on. We signed Tatar for free and have plenty of young, cheap internal forward options like Foote, Mercer, Thompson, and Holtz.

NJ is ready to push for the playoffs, they wouldn't have brought in Hamilton and Graves and Tatar if they weren't, but they're not quite ready to swing for the fences yet. It would be much better for NJ to wait until February and see if they're still in the hunt, and if they are it would be much cheaper to flip some mid picks and a few of their numerous prospects for rentals.

Assuming he's healthy, starting the season with Tarasenko in the lineup would significantly improve their chances of being in the hunt at the deadline...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad