Ideas for next years all time list

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'd suggest a year or two of rest.

Or, I think it could be a relatively interesting topic to try to do an all-time best pest(s) list. Shouldn't be too many spots though, perhaps 30. Your fellow Finn E. Tikkanen would fly high on those lists, he would on mine at least. Pests doesn't have to be over-the-top dirty, but I've theorized before Cully Wilson was the prototype pest and he was pretty dirty (sometimes over-the-top). He led Toronto the year after they won the Cup (1914–15) both in goals (22) and penalty minutes (138). The "rat" nickname I think originates with Harry Westwick though of the Ottawa Hockey Club (pre dating Wilson), but I haven't researched his antics too much. I think it was a journalist from Quebec City sometime in the mid 1890s calling him a "miserable, insignificant rat", that's where he got it from.

Pests historically are mostly wingers (Wilson, Lindsay, Tikkanen, Marchand, Fleury), although you have the occasional center like Ken Linseman, but I think it could be an interesting exercise to try to include also defensemen (Kasparaitis) and/or even goalies (Hextall).

What ya think about that, Merya?

9748719.jpg

Reactions: a79krgm

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Or, I think it could be a relatively interesting topic to try to do an all-time best pest(s) list. Shouldn't be too many spots though, perhaps 30. Your fellow Finn E. Tikkanen would fly high on those lists, he would on mine at least. Pests doesn't have to be over-the-top dirty, but I've theorized before Cully Wilson was the prototype pest and he was pretty dirty (sometimes over-the-top). He led Toronto the year after they won the Cup (1914–15) both in goals (22) and penalty minutes (138). The "rat" nickname I think originates with Harry Westwick though of the Ottawa Hockey Club (pre dating Wilson), but I haven't researched his antics too much. I think it was a journalist from Quebec City sometime in the mid 1890s calling him a "miserable, insignificant rat", that's where he got it from.

Pests historically are mostly wingers (Wilson, Lindsay, Tikkanen, Marchand, Fleury), although you have the occasional center like Ken Linseman, but I think it could be an interesting exercise to try to include also defensemen (Kasparaitis) and/or even goalies (Hextall).

What ya think about that, Merya?

9748719.jpg

Tiki, Ruutu, Nieminen. Distinction between a pest and a rat is hard to define. Perhaps not so much with nowadays standards.

But aren't you guys fatigued from having done all these list in the past couple years. There was several years of pause before the current list"craze" begun couple years ago. Now you guys have been doing it like full time jobs since then, with just barely any pause compared to earlier. I'm not going to participate in any case. I don't have the time or even interest to dig very deep into articles, old bad quality videos and such. I'm more of a reader of biographies in my own pace, especially now that spring has come and I can read hours on in my balcony.

ps. Kasparaitis was just dirty. Hextall on the other hand was a bit more emotional and misunderstood goalie. ;)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Now you guys have been doing it like full time jobs since then, with just barely any pause compared to earlier.

I haven't participated in all these projects, I'm not that hardcore of a list maker. I know I did the center project here, and this last one, but I can't remember if I participated in any other one. Listing things isn't my main thing either. I mostly do biographical/genealogical research stuff/writing on my own, plus some photo digging, and then I post here for infotainment reasons.

Reactions: Merya

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I haven't participated in all these projects, I'm not that hardcore of a list maker. I know I did the center project here, and this last one, but I can't remember if I participated in any other one. Listing things isn't my main thing either. I mostly do biographical/genealogical research stuff/writing on my own, plus some photo digging, and then I post here for infotainment reasons.

Well you get my point. Ofcource, being Finnish, a full time job is 35 hours a week for 46 weeks in the year. That might sound more like hobby hours to Americans. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad