Speculation: Ideal First Round Combo

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
-Edvinsson or Hughes sixth, plus Cossa 22nd(23rd).

I feel like the defenders who might drop to us at sixth are better than the forwards in that 6-10 range. I also feel like Cossa could be more of an impact choice than the forwards around 20-25.

Of course, what could easily throw a wrench in that would be if no defenders drop early.

At that point, I think I would go with a forward rather than Wallstedt, sixth. Then for 22nd (23rd), I would see if Lambos drops. If not, then I may go Cossa.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
-Edvinsson or Hughes sixth, plus Cossa 22nd(23rd).

I feel like the defenders who might drop to us at sixth are better than the forwards in that 6-10 range. I also feel like Cossa could be more of an impact choice than the forwards around 20-25.

Of course, what could easily throw a wrench in that would be if no defenders drop early.

At that point, I think I would go with a forward rather than Wallstedt, sixth. Then for 22nd (23rd), I would see if Lambos drops. If not, then I may go Cossa.

I'm not sold on Cossa at all. He played for an absolute powerhouse of a team in a tire fire of a division. What I've seen of the guy is that he's big, and that when he goes down the guy still fills the net but not really seeing anything . I'm not seeing 1st round talent, and I think there's a clear quality difference between him and Wallstedt.

Early 2nd for Cossa, sure. Earlier than 38 no thanks.

Reactions: lilidk

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm not sold on Cossa at all. He played for an absolute powerhouse of a team in a tire fire of a division. What I've seen of the guy is that he's big, and that when he goes down the guy still fills the net but not really seeing anything . I'm not seeing 1st round talent, and I think there's a clear quality difference between him and Wallstedt.

Early 2nd for Cossa, sure. Earlier than 38 no thanks.
Well, okay but assuming we stick with what I said for the earlier pick, a defender, then at 22nd, what do you do if a forward who you like doesn't drop?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Does someone have to drop? I think we have a decent amount of options in the mid-late 1st round.

There will be talent available. Nobody will have to drop because there's plenty of good players available. 20 through 40 are all very comparable in overall skill this year.

Reactions: jfrank21

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
There will be talent available. Nobody will have to drop because there's plenty of good players available. 20 through 40 are all very comparable in overall skill this year.
One of Pinelli, Chibrakov, Olausson, Rosen, Robertsson, Coronato or maybe even Svechkov will be there at 22. And if they are all gone then that means Lambos, Cossa, or Wallstedt will be available.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Because it’s a draft? It happens every year. I think 2020 was the most by-the-book 1st round I can remember. I don’t think that will happen again for a bit.

To fall, you need to know where someone should be ranked to begin with. This whole disjointed season makes that determination very difficult.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To fall, you need to know where someone should be ranked to begin with. This whole disjointed season makes that determination very difficult.

We have the same kind of lists we use every other year, just people are more worried about their projections. Honestly if I was running a team, I would tell my guys I don't want hear about it. Of course give me the problems the pandemic is causing, but let's get solutions. Scouts build books on guys over a couple years, dig into your book, cross reference with our other scouts on players. You also have smaller sample sizes to study and cases to present so there is that side to it. I don't think talent evaluators should buy into the excuses though. Some teams are going to "win" the draft this year, be one, stop listing the excuses and embrace that.

But it isn't like we won't have Bobby Mac's list which is direct from scouts and organizations, so we will have some of the same areas to see who we think is dropping per those or rising.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What Beer are you trading back into the first for to complete this @Bench ?

The 1st round goalie of beers.

beer-4133_8098a_hd.jpeg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I'll start with spinach artichoke dip to get me to pick #6 and then ride out some wings to pick #23.

Thus is the important stuff. What day is the draft? Going to have to start planning the food for that day.

Reactions: Bench

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Does someone have to drop? I think we have a decent amount of options in the mid-late 1st round.
Here's my thing. And sorry it took me so long to respond. But some leagues, like the OHL, shut down for the pandemic, as you probably know all too well. And a lot of the top skaters from those leagues were able to find a roster spot elsewhere to continue playing, for example, McTavish went and played in Switzerland, but the goalies from leagues like OHL had a much harder time finding roster openings elsewhere. As a result, some of the top goalie prospects have played no games in the last year, or only a handful of games in the last year. For example, Tristan Lennox played no games in '20-'21 and Benjamin Gaudreau played in just five. Also, some of the highest rated goalie prospects this year are OHL goalies like Lennox and Gaudreau and they are ranked right after Cossa - not a very deep draft for goalies. Therefore, top end goalies who had a chance to get in a decent workload of games recently, like Wallstedt and Cossa, are going to be more sought after and more valuable than their talent would fetch in a normal, non-pandemic year draft, because prospects who haven't really played in a game in the last year are harder to have confidence in.

Cossa seems like more of a second-rounder, and at one point I entertained the thought of being able to draft him in the second round too, but he could easily go earlier because of our aforementioned situation. So, what I'm saying is if Cossa is your guy, if you were going to target him in the second round anyway, then you might want to just go ahead and grab him early, near where he is ranked. Otherwise you will have to gamble a second-round or third-round pick on a goalie who hasn't played, or else wait until the end of the draft and gamble on another complete nobody, a strategy which has gotten us nowhere after decades of trial.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
i
Well, in the middle of first round, I would agree there are some good ones and what I'm saying is it's one of those mid first round forwards who would have to drop to us at 22nd for me to be very interested in drafting a forward.

One possibility I don't think we've explored is drafting a defender at sixth if a defender drops, and then drafting another defender at 22nd pick if a good forward doesn't drop there.

That's NOT an ideal situation, but if BPA happens to be a defender in both cases, I would not be totally against it... Find Seider a pairing. Find Hronek a pairing or replacement... Defenders have more value on average than a forward. So, we could develop one and then trade the one we don't like for the forward we need - and get more in return than we would be giving up.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Luke Hughes / Oskar Olausson

Put those guys on the team GMSY is building and we are a top 5 skating team in the league within a couple of seasons. Each line could have 1 burner, some of them 2.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My dream scenario would be Hughes/Sillinger... would be over the moon.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My dream scenario would be Hughes/Sillinger... would be over the moon.

For me it would be Hughes/Svechkkov, but Hughes/ Sillinger could be a close second. I think both Svechkov and Sillinger go somewhere in that area between 6 and 22. I have no clue what it would cost to trade up from 22 to get in the mid teens.

Reactions: jfrank21

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
For me it would be Hughes/Svechkkov, but Hughes/ Sillinger could be a close second. I think both Svechkov and Sillinger go somewhere in that area between 6 and 22. I have no clue what it would cost to trade up from 22 to get in the mid teens.

I think the opportunity cost would be too high. It might be more doable to trade 2 2nds for a 24 to 32 pick, but going from 23 to 16-19 would probably cost a lot more.

That's something we should consider as well. Pick 38 and 53 for Edmonton's 1st? Holland has made those kinds of trades in the past. I think that's how we ended up with Jurco if my memory is correct.

Reactions: Winger98

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Totally not possible: #6 Simon Edvinsson / #22 Sebastian Cossa
I guess it's possible: #6 Luke Hughes / #22 Fyodor Svechkov
I'm expecting: #6 Mason McTavish / #22 Francesco Pinelli
But I'd rather: #6 Fabian Lysell / #22 Carson Lambos
Sorry, but Id be thrilled with McTavish and Pinelli! If we are getting another small Swede though, Id much prefer Eklund over Lysell at 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad