Speculation: Ideal First Round Combo

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
I'm really curious to see where Lysell comes in on Bob's final list. I get the sense he is going to end up going closer to 15 than 10. If we could somehow walk out of the first round with Hughes / Lysell I would be ecstatic. With this draft being more unpredictable than usual, I wonder if he falls to 22 or if Steve considers trading up a few spots if he's still there. It's not like we lack draft capital lol.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Raty seems like he’s the Veleno of this draft. Very hyped in the early parts of his development, but then his development slowed and now he’s falling down boards.

Veleno slipping, even if his upside is just a 15-20-35 C, is so strange.
He slipped while Kotkaniemi, Hayton and Dellandrea all went higher than expected.

Centers usually rise on draft day.
Teams know how hard they are to find.
So Veleno falling that far was crazy.

Had there not been so many great defensemen available that year, I might have taken Veleno at 6.

I'd be kind of pissed about that now, but oh well.

Can anyone tell me, with any certainty, that Veleno is that far behind Barrett Hayton or Ty Dellandrea?
Or Kupari, Foudy and Obrien (the other three Cs taken ahead of Veleno).

(And I really like what I've seen from Dellandrea, Kupari and Foudy.)

My guess is Sillinger, Lucius, Kries, Svechkov, Pinelli and maybe McTavish/Johnson (if scouts believe they are centers) go higher than expected.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He slipped while Kotkaniemi, Hayton and Dellandrea all went higher than expected.

Had there not been so many great defensemen available that year, I might have taken Veleno at 6.

Can anyone tell me, with any certainty, that Veleno is that far behind Barrett Hayton or Ty Dellandrea?

My guess is Sillinger, Lucius, Kries, Svechkov, Pinelli and maybe McTavish/Johnson (if scouts believe they are centers) go higher than expected.
It is strange how far Joey dropped, but why look a gift horse in the mouth? He'll be better than some of the centers you listed for sure, and I think he'll be better than Raz. He looked good in his short stint, I think he's NHL ready as 3C. He's not elite but he checks all the boxes as far as size, speed, skating, shooting and defense. With a offensive minded team he probably has a 40 - 50pt ceiling but with Blash's system he's not going to generate a lot of points. I don't think he shows full offensive potential until Blash is replaced (but then again that could be said about the entire team, lol).

Someone falls every draft, since the team has 2 1st rounders again I'm hoping for someone like Svechkov/Raty/Lambos to fall to our pick. Hard to predict who it'll be, but I think we'll get a good prospect again.

Reactions: MBH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

When it's all said and done I think Veleno outscores most of these guys. Veleno falling had more to do with the incredibly lofty expecations of having exceptional status. People were hoping to see Lafrenierre type numbers in his draft year. And he might have put up much better numbers had he started the season in Drummondville.

31 points in 31 games for Saint Johns versus 48 points in 33 games for Drummondville. If Veleno put up 30+ goals and 95+ points in 2018 he's getting picked top 15 and Holland probably uses the 30th overall on McIsaac or another defenseman in that range.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Mailloux is worth the risk in the 2nd round even with our first pick in the 2nd. Not sure if it’s worth it in the 1st though.

I think he’s got a pretty big time ceiling, personally.

I should have him ranked higher than I do. I have considered moving Mailloux and Heimosalmi up recently.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Raty didn't just slow down, he fell off a cliff. Sounds like there was a bunch going on and he was putting a lot of pressure on himself, but he really had an awful year. I don't see a similarity to Veleno at all, Joe improved each season, but people were critical just based on his exceptional status and he fell all the way to 30. The only way I want to see Raty drafted by Detroit would be as a value pick in the 2nd. His former #1 overall projection does absolutely nothing for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a lot of other centers that are 6’2 and skate as well as Raty in this draft, I would have no issue with taking him at 22/23.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When it's all said and done I think Veleno outscores most of these guys. Veleno falling had more to do with the incredibly lofty expecations of having exceptional status. People were hoping to see Lafrenierre type numbers in his draft year. And he might have put up much better numbers had he started the season in Drummondville.

31 points in 31 games for Saint Johns versus 48 points in 33 games for Drummondville. If Veleno put up 30+ goals and 95+ points in 2018 he's getting picked top 15 and Holland probably uses the 30th overall on McIsaac or another defenseman in that range.

I don't know if I believe that.
He fell because he didn't produce Lafreniere numbers?
He went from 40 points in 45 games to 79 points in 64 games. Even if those aren't superstar numbers, that's a solid improvement in a Draft year.

Other draft-year centers from the CHL in 2018
Veleno 79 points in 64 games - 30th overall
Hayton 60 points in 53 games - 45th overal
Dellandrea 59 points in 67 games - 13th overall
Foudy 50 points in 65 games - 18th overall
McLeod - 70 points in 68 games
Groulx - 55 points in 68 games.

Did he get dinged for playing in Quebec?
The thing I kept reading was this idea that he physically matured early and there was the sense he'd sort of plateaued and wouln't develop much after Quebec.
Or that his skills were good, but not elite.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Hughes/Raty. I can't imagine Raty falling that far but, if he does, I think he's going to make some team very happy.

well, someone suggested dealing Vrana to Vancouver for 9oA in another thread but folks weren't thrilled with it.
Stupid idea dealing our best player who is only 25 yo for 9th pick in weak ass draft.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Stupid idea dealing our best player who is only 25 yo for 9th pick in weak ass draft.

Guess is partly depends on how good you think that best player is, what that says about everyone else on the team, and if he's going to be around when this team is any good and will be worth the contract he'll be getting. Depending how the draft starts shaking out, if we could grab something like Hughes at 6, Wellstedt at 9, and then Raty/whoever at 22...I'd be liking that draft quite a bit.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Guess is partly depends on how good you think that best player is, what that says about everyone else on the team, and if he's going to be around when this team is any good and will be worth the contract he'll be getting. Depending how the draft starts shaking out, if we could grab something like Hughes at 6, Wellstedt at 9, and then Raty/whoever at 22...I'd be liking that draft quite a bit.
not a single guy in this horrible draft except Power is interesting to me. We will be lucky to get nhl player out of this draft.

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
not a single guy in this horrible draft except Power is interesting to me. We will be lucky to get nhl player out of this draft.
Huh??? I know the top end of this draft is below average but with 5 picks in the top 51 we should expect to walk away with at least 2 NHL players.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
- is cossa too big to have quick enough reflexes and glove is my question ?
- is edvinsson too slow thinking ? is edvinsson rugged enough to bull people around in own end ? i ask because in my design dmen have to be quick thinking or your end turns into a mess , and i saw mceggs vid where he looks sort of iffy thinking . and they have to be big and rugged or opponant forwards have a picnic around your net . though he could be effective if unrugged by having a great stick .
- ive been thinking that because it looks like an ideal yzerman type might not be there at 6 he trades back , for a pick and a prospect , with the attitude he will at minimum have a shot at a goalie he likes , and needs , later in 1st round with that pick . and the prospect would be a big rugged left handed d with limited offense , limited offense is why he'd be tradable , to play with either seider or hronek . a guy ready to start getting his feet wet in nhl next season so helps make the window closer .

anyway heres some guys draft rankings i just saw :

The winning combo was found!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad