Idea: Allow Playoff teams to sign non-playoff UFAs

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
No, I'm saying for example Calgary misses the playoffs and a team needs a goalie. They can sign Ramo for the playoffs only

Playoffs only? But players don't get paid for the playoffs, what Ramo's incentive here?

I understand the bases for your idea, this situation is a good illustration of that, but there are many, many reasons it isn't very good when you dig just a little deeper into it.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
When the season is over, before playoffs begin all impending UFAs of non playoff teams can be signed by any playoff team for the playoffs only.

Players don't get paid for the playoffs, so all the UFAs would be flooding to the top team (maybe 2?) in each conference.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What if the team wants to try to re-sign the ufa? Obviously the ufa will bolt to play playoffs and then the team loses out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There's this thing called the trade deadline that's also used to acquire non-playoff team UFAs for the playoffs.

So not just no but hell no.

TheGrant

Dec 16, 2014
St. Louis-ish
I think it's an intruiging concept to think about. Not sure how it would work out or anything. But it's interesting to think about what teams would go after who, and how that would affect matchups and such.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Worst idea ever.

comicbookguy.jpg

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I like the purpose but the means screw with too many things. The amount of hate and unintelligent responses in this thread is sadly not surprising though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad