Idea: Allow Playoff teams to sign non-playoff UFAs

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
When the season is over, before playoffs begin all impending UFAs of non playoff teams can be signed by any playoff team for the playoffs only.

Horrible for non playoff teams who use those UFAs to build toward next year.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No, I'm saying for example Calgary misses the playoffs and a team needs a goalie. They can sign Ramo for the playoffs only

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No, I'm saying for example Calgary misses the playoffs and a team needs a goalie. They can sign Ramo for the playoffs only

So they get to rent Ramo for free? What does Calgary get out of that? Why have a trade deadline?

I would like to see trade exceptions in some form. Let small market teams get some value by trading them, let cap teams arm themselves for the playoffs more without having to dump roster players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I love the idea in principle but hate it in practice.

The salary structure of the league is that players don't get anything extra for playoff games. It would be impossible to implement some kind of playoffs-only contract deals without changing the salary structure, and the NHLPA won't stand for that because it might imply that non playoff players will make less. Or, maybe free agent mercenaries suddenly get extra salary. How does that work with the cap?

One fix would be to have two free agency deadlines, one for non-playoff teams before the playoffs and one at the usual period. So technically, anyone signed at the pre-playoffs deadline would be in contract for the next season as well.

Analyzer*

Bad idea imo.

Why should we trade for your UFA's, when we can just sign them after your team misses the playoffs ?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Really bad. Gives playoff teams an inside track on UFA's in free agency, as they'll have played in the playoffs with that team, and make them want to stay with that team again. The non-playoff teams get dealt another disadvantage to signing UFA's in the offseason. And then there's the players on the playoff rosters that get replaced. Not fair to them either

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Wow it takes a really special idea to stand out as exceptionally bad after all these years on this forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad