Salary Cap: iconic hockey webside capgeek.com closing definitely

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Was a solid and well-presented source on salaries and the cap and will be missed.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Therein lies the key as to why he won't (can't) sell the site.

Worst case, someone may build another site.
Not sure where CapGeek was getting their info: from NHL? Teams sites? (seems they are not publishing the info)

Yaarrr, it says here; http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...s-due-to-owner-s-health-crisis-024933796.html

"Where did the info come from? Wuest, who was a freelance hockey writer with gigs at Metro Halifax and The Hockey News, kept it tight to the vest, but told Puck Daddy in 2009 that they included media reports, confirmation through official channels and Wuest's own informants.

"The biggest thing is making sure you have good sources who can provide the most accurate data," Wuest said.

Over time, Cap Geek became the only site tracking salary info. NHLSCAP.com ceased operation and endorsed Wuest. NHL Numbers joined The Nation Network and became an analytics site.

It was also hugely influential – with salary information being share by mainstream writers, ferreted out by Wuest and collected in one massive site, NHL teams like the Carolina Hurricanes began reporting their own contract numbers."

Like I said on page 1 to me that clarifies the confusion I had as well, why not sell? What's up? But it makes sense when you see that and consider that you don't 'sell' sources etc so he probably is not in good enough health either to even work on that or think about how to make that work. Bummer all around. Hope he gets better most of all whether capgeek comes back or not.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I will always remember nhlscap as being the guy who came to the boards looking for advice about his wife leaving him because he spent too much time updating his site. Another time, another hf boards...sounds like cancer. Or suicide.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The NHL are now probably the happiest bunch that the site is down!
The NHLPA on the otherhand ... Not that happy!

So you think the NHL wasn't happy with teams sending their numbers voluntarily? I think the site was helping everyone and this why some teams were giving away the data.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
sounds suspicious, why wouldn't he consider purchase inquiries?

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
I dont get it. Why doesn't he just sell it to someone who would continue his legacy?

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, I'm also confused. Why not sell it? Hope he recovers but.. cmon lol

Imagine if Zuckerberg gets sick and shuts down Facebook.. :amazed:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Because the buyer would never get the sources he used to get all the numbers. As I understand it. You don't sell peoples' phone numbers ya know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad