Salary Cap: iconic hockey webside capgeek.com closing definitely

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
I really liked this website. It was simple and said exactly what you wanted to know: stats, salaries and teams cap.

''Effective immediately, Jan. 3, 2015, CapGeek.com has permanently ceased operations. This sudden decision is made with a heavy heart and is due to the personal health of CapGeek.com founder and director Matthew Wuest. While this decision may raise many questions, it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time.''

Can you guys recommend another website that does the same or just share your feelings about this sad news?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really liked this website. It was simple and said exactly what you wanted to know: stats, salaries and teams cap.

''Effective immediately, Jan. 3, 2015, CapGeek.com has permanently ceased operations. This sudden decision is made with a heavy heart and is due to the personal health of CapGeek.com founder and director Matthew Wuest. While this decision may raise many questions, it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time.''

Can you guys recommend another website that does the same or just share your feelings about this sad news?

NHLSCap found at Eklund's site.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/index.php

It seems up to date. Not sure if it is as fully complete on things like waivers, etc. as capgeek was.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
NHLnumbers, although I haven't used that in at least five years so I don't know how up to date it is.

edit: and I see it was already mentioned.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
NHLSCap found at Eklund's site.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/index.php

It seems up to date. Not sure if it is as fully complete on things like waivers, etc. as capgeek was.

NHLSCap was the old name of the now ceased Capgeek.com. I'm not entirely sure how much of Hockeybuzz used it to power it's numbers but if it was using capgeek it probably won't be working anymore.

Sad to hear about this difficult situation all the best to Mr. Wuest.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
seems fishy...

why would health problems preclude an individual from wanting his creation to live on, or have he or his family profit from the sale of the site?

strange...

68*

Good luck to him but I don't understand why he didn't sell it. Fast, nice design, simple.. loved that site.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why would they shut it down, couldn't they just not update the data and leave up?
Also since the site probably generate revenue with ad and traffic, no site no revenue...
Why would they not sell it if they are going to operated it? Why would you mention that you don't want purchase inquiries... Seem weird I would suspect legal or financial more than health issues... Regarless best of luck to Matthew.

Capgeek was a great web site... Hope it come back

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
NHLSCap was the old name of the now ceased Capgeek.com. I'm not entirely sure how much of Hockeybuzz used it to power it's numbers but if it was using capgeek it probably won't be working anymore.

Sad to hear about this difficult situation all the best to Mr. Wuest.
Well I learned something new here or forgot it. NHLSCap was pretty good site.

Worst case, someone may build another site.
Not sure where CapGeek was getting their info: from NHL? Teams sites? (seems they are not publishing the info)

Back in the days, under another pseudo, I had posted the list of all sites to get info and statistics.
Now there are even more.
I regret the time when Hockeybuzz was free...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I've replied on the main board... but come on guys...

This website will be back on within a week with annoying ads and all. :naughty:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
I didn't even think of how he would need inside contacts and really trustworthy and efficient systems of them to get all this info compiled so nicely, it makes sense why he can't just sell it. It's not like the website is just the beautiful layout and presentation but to obtain the info is a whole other story. Without those contacts the info would never be kept up to date with the really impressive efficiency it was done.

Definitely having a sense of "not knowing what I had until its gone", hope it returns but more importantly I really hope he is able to get better. It must be something quite serious. Stupid weak human bodies. Stop messing with us! Rabblerabblerabble.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Very strange that he wouldn't just sell it or hire an interim director... the website is the go to site for most hockey fans when it comes to contracts. Their armchair GM panel was cool too. You don't just shutdown an app like that when you have so many users.

Very weird...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sucks and wish him the best healthwise. To bad he could not sell it or something to someone else to keep running.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
The title captured it well, the site was iconic. I wish all the best to the founder, and am mystified as anyone else why he did not find a way for it continue.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
He's been battling health issues for a while. Wuest was a reporter in Halifax before taking leave for what i can assume was the same health isues. He provided great counter coverage against the Herald here in Halifax of the Mooseheads.

I'm assuming he doesn't want to give up whoever his sources for contract info are that would inevitably be needed to maintain any sort of profit.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
www.nhlnumbers.com

I've never once visited capgeek because nhlnumbers always gave me all the info I needed.

capgeek.com had lots of information nhlnumbers doesn't have, like the amount of cap space a team has at the deadline, which is usually higher than the year's estimate since cap space is accumulated daily. We're just gonna have to go with the last figure from capgeek now. (~6.8 mil)

It's kinda annoying, plus the damn numbers on nhlnumbers are always off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad