Iceland beats Armenia 50-0 in WJC D-Pool (U20 Div III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Jazz said:
Armenia - Iceland 0-50 (0-19, 0-11, 0-20)
Turkey - Lithuania 0-16 (0-3, 0-4, 0-9)

:amazed:

Score is up on IIHF.COM, but no official stat sheet yet....

I'll link it when it does come up..

For now, you can see some discussion on it here

50 to zero!! :eek: :amazed: :help: :amazed: :eek:
what the _?_ :shakehead :help: :shakehead :eek: :amazed: :eek:

isn't there a "mercy" rule? wow...crzy stuff!!

Canada_87

Dec 28, 2004
Oh my god! That's amazing! I think I read somewhere that the record was something like 58-0, Australia over Brazil.. But that's pretty damn close! Although, it doesn't compare to me on NHL 2006

- with the speed and shot accuracy maxed
- on beginner mode
- player and goalie advantage maxed for me
- Souped up team Canada against Great Britain

144-2 Joe Sakic leading the offense with 8 Hat-tricks and 16 assists, followed closely by Vincent Lecavalier with a fairly impressive 21 goals and 17 helpers. The boys really tried to get that important 145th goal, but just couldn't get it done . haha :biglaugh:

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Epsilon said:
To think that Iceland themselves lost a game 63-0 to Kazhakstan a few years back...

Gunnar Stahl was a healthy scratch that game otherwise the scores would have been reversed. Apparently the coach caught Stahl in bed with his wife and daughter at the same time.

WCR

Dec 29, 2005
Dublin / Worcester
www.vif.no
Canada_87 said:
Oh my god! That's amazing! I think I read somewhere that the record was something like 58-0, Australia over Brazil.. But that's pretty damn close! Although, it doesn't compare to me on NHL 2006

- on beginner mode

144-2 Joe Sakic leading the offense with 8 Hat-tricks and 16 assists, followed closely by Vincent Lecavalier with a fairly impressive 21 goals and 17 helpers. The boys really tried to get that important 145th goal, but just couldn't get it done . haha :biglaugh:

That's Great Britain's best result in 20 years :D

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
seriously, why does a place like Armenia ice a hockey team in a tournament like this if they are going to allow 50 goals in a single game to a crap team?

wow. I have heard of things like this, but I can't imagine being at that game. what a snoozer. The goalie could not have conceivably made more than 4 saves in that game.

WCR

Dec 29, 2005
Dublin / Worcester
www.vif.no
It's all about developing the game in the smaller nations - there's more to the game than the big shiny money loaded game known as the NHL.

These teams will improve, get better, and more kids may get interested in playing - which can only be good for the sport imo

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
WCR said:
It's all about developing the game in the smaller nations - there's more to the game than the big shiny money loaded game known as the NHL.

These teams will improve, get better, and more kids may get interested in playing - which can only be good for the sport imo

thats true, and i'm glad for the motive behind it. i just don't think any Armenian kids would want to lace up after a fiasco like that, there has to be a better way to go about it.

WCR

Dec 29, 2005
Dublin / Worcester
www.vif.no
at least the Armenians have a rink to play on - more than can be said for Ireland (where I live):

The first match ever recorded in Ireland took place in the Dolphins Barn ice rink between the Dublin Stags and the Liverpool Leopards in 1983.Dublin won 3 v 2.

Since then the sport has progressed to all levels. Following Irelands inauguration to the IIHF in 1997 the IIHA decided to take part at junior level in the IIHF World Championship Games. Ireland travelled to Bulgaria, Luxembourg and Iceland to take part in IIHF Division III International competitions. Under -18 and U-20 Teams represented Ireland for the first time.

Domestic competition flourished and cross border leagues between, Dublin, Belfast, and Coleraine provided a platform to compete at a high level. However in 1999 and early 2000 the two ice rinks in Dublin closed down. The junior programme was in jeopardy. Players drove once a week to Belfast to train and others resorted to in-line.

The IIHA submitted its first Senior Men's National Squad to IIHF Competition in Reykjavik, Iceland March 2004. Ireland was back on the map. The seniors are off again this season to Luxembourg, France, and Great Britain and will round off the season in Mexico City at the IIHF Div III World Games in March 2005.

Although Ice Hockey is not a mainstream sport here in Ireland, you can see that it has survived and defied the odds over the past 20 years. This is not down to luck or circumstance; it's down to the commitment, dedication, passion, and hard work from players, officials and parents.

The IIHA will continue to survive, to foster, develop and grow. Dublin is the only major city in Europe without a multi purpose arena. The day is not far off for professional ice hockey competition in Dublin.

Feb 24, 2004
Did Stahl use his famous triple-deke? You know the one where he dekes three times, pulls up at the blue line and just takes a slapshot?

LMFAO at Coach Bombay.

I love those movies.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Is anyone else as excited as I am to hear about the Lithuania-Armenia result? :)

Maybe its because im partly Lithuanian, but that is gonna be hilarious. 50-0 is nothing compared to what could happen, I have a feeling.

In all seriousness though, you have to feel for a team like Armenia. They have to feel gutted playing like that. But it does make me wonder why they would be that bad. Are they 12? I cant skate, and I could prolly save more than that.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
WCR said:

Yes, somewhere in Rwanda young children are dreaming of the day when they too can lose a hockey game to the international hockey powerhouse that is Team Iceland! :)

But seriously, it's all about developing the game in non traditional markets. As silly as it sounds, just being involved is likely a big deal for Armenia.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
I bet if it was a cupcake the Armenian goaltender (Armen Goldbergzian) would have stopped all 133 shots!

In Armenia's defence, however, the game was decided well before the first puck drop when, in an act of intimidation, The Icelandik coach crushed the beachball being thrown about at team Armenia's practice with his bare hands.

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
Quagmier said:
I bet if it was a cupcake the Armenian goaltender (Armen Goldbergzian) would have stopped all 133 shots!

In Armenia's defence, however, the game was decided well before the first puck drop when, in an act of intimidation, The Icelandik coach crushed the beachball being thrown about at team Armenia's practice with his bare hands.

AHAHAHA good one

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Canada_87 said:

- on beginner mode

I get the same results on all the hardest settings

the goalies in that game are horrible. they flop more than ed belfour :biglaugh:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Steveorama said:
I would have loved to have heard the Armenian coach's speech to his guys at the second intermission:
"Sure, we're down by 30 goals, but if we can pop 10 quick goals in the first few minutes, we are right back in this thing ! Come on boys, let's go get 'em!"

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Mr. Hab said:
50 to zero!! :eek: :amazed: :help: :amazed: :eek:
what the _?_ :shakehead :help: :shakehead :eek: :amazed: :eek:

isn't there a "mercy" rule? wow...crzy stuff!!
:biglaugh: yeah i know eh?

there should be a rule that says the other team can throw in the towwel after the 11th goal :biglaugh:

Steveorama said:
I would have loved to have heard the Armenian coach's speech to his guys at the second intermission:
"Sure, we're down by 30 goals, but if we can pop 10 quick goals in the first few minutes, we are right back in this thing ! Come on boys, let's go get 'em!"
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

somewhere, habs fans rejoice at the fact that leaving roy in for all those goals doesn't seem so bad

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
runny_babbit said:
I'm looking at the credits...
Did you guys know that Gunnar Stahl changed his name, lost his accent and became goalie for Eden Hall Academy on the 3rd movie?

Talk about the complete player.

Gunnar Stahl >>>>>>>>>> Sidney Ovechkin

I am more impressed with his versatility being able to host a show named
"chicken soup for the soul"

so, lets get this straight, the kid is as tough as nails as a forward, can play at least to the level of a prep school goalie, and also host a show? With his speaking abilities and hockey knowledge, he could be the next Pierre, Gord or Bob. Or, with his goaltending abilities, the next Glenn.

edit: nevermind, i just saw at the bottom that he was also on Full House. No way could Glenn get with Stephanie

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The score reminds me of the time Dustin Rose had a scrimmage against the 2002 Canadian olympic team. But he only beat them 48-1. Darn lucky goal by Iginla.

Vic Rattlehead*

Fredrik said:
Armenia only lost 2-21 in their next game. What's interesting is that Armenia haven't used their back up goalie yet. I don't want to know how bad he is.

Losing by 19 goals is a huge improvement from losing by 50 goals.

Way to go Armenia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad