OT: Ice Skates?

thesnake

Apr 25, 2007
New Vernon
Don't go cheap on skates. Get some mid range ones at least, and go somewhere they'll scan your feet for best fit. I have new top of the line Bauers ($1000 or so) and after baked the break in period was like 2 games... they should feel good fast...

Also, I don't know how you're learning, but get lessons. Swallow your pride and get out on the ice with an instructor who will show you the proper form and you'll get going a million times faster than just winging it trying to figure it out at a public skate.

Then, once you've got a little skating down, just join a men's league team and go... there is plenty of low level hockey, with lots of terrible players, so just take the plunge don't be nervous.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If you are just starting out, go on facebook marketplace and buy a pair second hand for cheap for now. Sizing is all personal preference. My sneaker size is 13, but my skates are a 10. Was a 12 when I bought them (yes, bought mine in 1993). I myself and thinking of getting a new pair in 11. Some will say 1 size smaller, some will say 2 sizes smaller, some will say it is more about width. I know some people like them super tight, some don't. What I can tell you is if you are using rentals, you will have a hard time improving. Most rink rentals are garbage and are NEVER sharpened unless they have an employee who wants to learn how to sharpen skates.

If you do want to spend a few dollars and there is a monkey sports, pure hockey, or even a local rink with a good pro shop head there. The shop at the rink where my daughter plays, the guy has decent skates and a wide price range and will bake them for you. Same at Monkey and Pure Hockey. However, at monkey to get skates that can be baked, have to spend at least $200.

If you want to start playing hockey, definitely take skating lessons, some places have adult beginner classes. Once you can move around ok, and want to play, get some second hand gear to save $ and find a rink that has open adult hockey where they are somewhat friendly to beginners.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I ended up getting a used pair of Bauer skates for like $80.

I'm taking learn to skate lessons, never been afraid to swallow my pride and learn from teachers. After this session of learn to skate, i'll probably do one more at a higher level and then join a men's league team.

thanks for the advice everyone!

edit: before i join the mens league, i'll get a pair of new skates :)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I ended up getting a used pair of Bauer skates for like $80.

I'm taking learn to skate lessons, never been afraid to swallow my pride and learn from teachers. After this session of learn to skate, i'll probably do one more at a higher level and then join a men's league team.

thanks for the advice everyone!

edit: before i join the mens league, i'll get a pair of new skates :)
You going to need to spend a good amount of $ on gear. If the skates are comfortable, no need to buy a new pair right away. Keep the current skates, spend the money on some private skating lessons and/or public skating sessions to get more time on the ice.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but resist baking your skates more than once. They say you can do it, but the more times you bake them the more they are susceptible to breaking down, even the really good skates.

I had 900$ pair of Grafs that I had to bake twice and they fell apart within 2 years. I used to love Grafs but their quality dropped dramatically over the last 10 years or so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad