OT: Ice Skates?

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I’m finally learning how to ice skate and I was hoping this group of people would have ice skate recommendations.

Ideally I’ll get to the level where I can play hockey but for now I just need a basic set of skates I can learn in and are better than the decade old rental skates I’ve been using.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I’m finally learning how to ice skate and I was hoping this group of people would have ice skate recommendations.

Ideally I’ll get to the level where I can play hockey but for now I just need a basic set of skates I can learn in and are better than the decade old rental skates I’ve been using.
Most go with Bauer or CCM. Maybe you should go try on both and see which fits your foot better?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Can’t go wrong with Bauer or CCM brand. They’ve been making skates a long long time. They offer several tiers of quality (basic, mid tier, pro), and different models at each tier for each foot type (narrow, normal, wide). I recommend you find a reputable pro shop nearby and speak with the equipment guy there. You’ll get to try some on and decide which makes sense for you. Whichever model you choose, you can take it to the next level by getting them custom molded (baked) to your feet.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Bauer is best. I wear Bauer 1X 2017, they're the most aesthetically pleasing imo the newer Bauer skates aren't as sleek.
m94g81h.jpg

These were the top of the line skates from that year, I'd recommend buying discounted better old model skates (brand new though, never buy used) over buying full price current model but a lower tier.

Are you going to be playing hockey while learning? Or are these skates strictly for skating?
Don't just look at it as higher end = better, because high end skates are very stiff, someone who isn't a strong skater won't be able to have proper mobility in them. If you go to a store and squeeze the top of cheap skates you'll be able to make the eyelets touch, there's a huge difference in rigidity. So you want something soft enough for you to flex & learn the proper skating mechanics, but if you're playing hockey you also want something that will withhold the rigors of hockey and protect your feet.

I'd skip the lowest end skates and go to the cheapest (or 2nd cheapest) tier that have detachable blades, in previous years of Vapor it was like X200-X300-X400-X500-X600-X700-X800-X900-1X. Their current line has been condensed though and the model would be the 3.7X.

Something in the $250-$350 range

Reactions: Emptyvoid

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Bauer is best. I wear Bauer 1X 2017, they're the most aesthetically pleasing imo the newer Bauer skates aren't as sleek.
m94g81h.jpg

These were the top of the line skates from that year, I'd recommend buying discounted better old model skates (brand new though, never buy used) over buying full price current model but a lower tier.

Are you going to be playing hockey while learning? Or are these skates strictly for skating?
Don't just look at it as higher end = better, because high end skates are very stiff, someone who isn't a strong skater won't be able to have proper mobility in them. If you go to a store and squeeze the top of cheap skates you'll be able to make the eyelets touch, there's a huge difference in rigidity. So you want something soft enough for you to flex & learn the proper skating mechanics, but if you're playing hockey you also want something that will withhold the rigors of hockey and protect your feet.

I'd skip the lowest end skates and go to the cheapest (or 2nd cheapest) tier that have detachable blades, in previous years of Vapor it was like X200-X300-X400-X500-X600-X700-X800-X900-1X. Their current line has been condensed though and the model would be the 3.7X.

I want to learn to skate first before playing hockey, so it sounds going for lower end skates would be perfect for learning

Can’t go wrong with Bauer or CCM brand. They’ve been making skates a long long time. They offer several tiers of quality (basic, mid tier, pro), and different models at each tier for each foot type (narrow, normal, wide). I recommend you find a reputable pro shop nearby and speak with the equipment guy there. You’ll get to try some on and decide which makes sense for you. Whichever model you choose, you can take it to the next level by getting them custom molded (baked) to your feet.
This is super helpful, Crease, thank you!

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I want to learn to skate first before playing hockey, so it sounds going for lower end skates would be perfect for learning

This is super helpful, Crease, thank you!
They will be, cheap skates aren't "bad". They're just made for different people. Don't let the guy working at the shop try convincing you otherwise lol, a hockey centred store or pro shop would be a lot more trustworthy; but big sporting goods stores that don't specialize in hockey might not know much and try upselling you.

As others said try them on, I would look online for the same size afterward though as you'll find better deals. There's no shoe-skate conversion BTW some sites will say oh its just 1.5 down from your shoe etc, but all feet are shaped differently and the conversion won't be accurate. I'm an 11 shoe but 8.5 in skates. Try one of those 3D foot scanners if they're available to you too, you'll learn a lot about your feet. They're free at a lot of hockey shops. I always thought I had wide feet due to them being flat, it's sort of an illusion I guess. Was surprised to find out my feet are actually a bit narrow & low volume.

edit: But also, are you a bigger or smaller guy? I'm 5'9 & 150, I could probably get away with a step down from high end skates even though I'm a strong skater, because I'm so light. Likewise, if you're a bigger guy even if you're a beginner you should not get the very cheapest skate as it may just collapse under your weight and you'd be strong enough to flex it ALOT even if you're a weak skater.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Recommend going in-person to a pro-shop or Pure Hockey, or Hockey Monkey if one is close enough. They can measure your feet and help you pick the correct skate based on your foot shape and price point.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
They will be, cheap skates aren't "bad". They're just made for different people. Don't let the guy working at the shop try convincing you otherwise lol, a hockey centred store or pro shop would be a lot more trustworthy; but big sporting goods stores that don't specialize in hockey might not know much and try upselling you.

As others said try them on, I would look online for the same size afterward though as you'll find better deals. There's no shoe-skate conversion BTW some sites will say oh its just 1.5 down from your shoe etc, but all feet are shaped differently and the conversion won't be accurate. I'm an 11 shoe but 8.5 in skates. Try one of those 3D foot scanners if they're available to you too, you'll learn a lot about your feet. They're free at a lot of hockey shops. I always thought I had wide feet due to them being flat, it's sort of an illusion I guess. Was surprised to find out my feet are actually a bit narrow & low volume.

edit: But also, are you a bigger or smaller guy? I'm 5'9 & 150, I could probably get away with a bit of a cheaper skate even though I'm a strong skater, because I'm so light. Likewise, if you're a bigger guy even if you're a beginner you should not get the very cheapest skate as it may just collapse under your weight.
Awesome, thank you, I live in the Raleigh area and there seems to be a few dedicated skate shops nearby so I will check them out rather than going to somewhere like Dicks.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Awesome, thank you, I live in the Raleigh area and there seems to be a few dedicated skate shops nearby so I will check them out rather than going to somewhere like Dicks.
You're welcome :D also I'd suggest going with a 3/4" or 5/8" hollow when you get them sharpened for the first time. Standard at most places is a 1/2", but 1/2" will give you too much bite and it will be harder for you to learn to stop.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
You're welcome :D also I'd suggest going with a 3/4" or 5/8" hollow when you get them sharpened for the first time. Standard at most places is a 1/2", but 1/2" will give you too much bite and it will be harder for you to learn to stop.

Great advice! I still go with 5/8

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
m94g81h.jpg

Good advice from Ed throughout this thread. We wear the same skates, apparently. I liked my older Total ONEs better though. I’d probably go back to the supreme line next time but the 1X have been great.

Like he said, if you’re a bigger guy you’re going to need something more mid tiered because the lowest end skates will simply be too soft. If you’re lighter like Ed, you can get away with a softer boot. He’s also right about trying them on in person but then going online and trying to find an older year’s model of the same skate and getting it heavily discounted, especially because as your skating progresses and you succeed in starting to play hockey, you’ll likely upgrade to a stiffer boot within a year or two. Stiffer skates are more responsive and give you better energy transfer and control, but they are less forgiving when learning and take a strong skater to get the most out of.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Lotta good advice in here...

One thing I'll add is that if you've been learning on rental skates... ANYTHING you own will be better than those things :thumbu:

They usually don't even keep them slightly sharp.

Take a lesson on form if you can once you get them... learning proper form early will really help a lot as you go. Not sure how old or young you are but it doesn't matter... bite the bullet and just do it... it'll be a massive help out of the gate and will pay dividends in the future.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Go with bauer, ccm used to make quality skates but my last two pair fell apart, one pair the toe cap shattered after getting hit with a fairly light wrist shot. I usually buy toward the high end but be atleast in the mid range of skates as anything less will weaken easily or not have the proper support to begin with. Good luck, its a road we've all went down, it takes time and pactice to become good at it but you will get there. You never mentioned your age but if you are young with eye of playing competitive hockey of some sort I'd suggest getting a skating coach because they will get rid of bad habits before they form. Cheers.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yes, don’t buy the expensive ones or pro level for several reasons. They are super stiff to hold up to the rigors of skating every day and to protect against blocking injuries but they are also more difficult to skate in for beginners and will take years to break in if you don’t skate several times per week.

Go with a big brand mentioned above and get them from a reputable pro shop that will fit you properly.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In Raleigh? The pro shops at the local rinks are pretty good.

My first pair were a “cheaper” Bauers. Played my first season in those. Got a slightly more expensive pair for my second season.

My last pair was a year old CCM 952s. I liked them the best. CCM skates are made for players with slightly wider feet. This pair fit like gloves compared to the Bauers that tended to fit tightly.

Also, go a full size smaller than your shoe size.

Once you find your size and fit, then you can try online.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Go to a store and try them on. Don’t listen to our personal favorites and what skates we have/like. Everyone’s different so get your feet in a few pairs and see what feels good for you.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
1) DO NOT BE CHEAP WITH YOUR FIRST PAIR OF SKATES. IT WILL RUIN YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND MAKE YOU QUIT.
2) BUY YOUR SKATES IN A STORE AND HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING HELP YOU TRY THEM ON//MEASURE YOU. ASK FOR AS MUCH HELP AS YOU CAN IN THE STORE. THEY WILL KNOW IF THE SKATE FITS BETTER THAN YOU.
3) IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, BUY THE SKATES THAT THEY LITERALLY BAKE INTO THE SHAPE OF YOUR FOOT.

TYPED IN ALL CAPS SO THAT YOU LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

Right on bud. Like others have said, go to a pro shop and try skates on. I worked in a pro shop for years and each brand has a different fit profile such as depth of foot, width (toe, mid foot and heel), arch support, etc. It is very personal so just start trying skates on and see what feels the best. The guys at the shop should be able to size the skate correctly. (It's usually a size and a half down from shoe size, but some skates are different and your feet are different sizes too.)

Since you are a beginner, I also second what some others said to NOT buy high end skates. They will be far too stiff. I have play my whole life and the new high end stuff is even out of my league. ~$350 is the sweet spot in my opinion for some really great skates that will last you a good amount of time. The technology has really improved in the last 15 years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
1) DO NOT BE CHEAP WITH YOUR FIRST PAIR OF SKATES. IT WILL RUIN YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND MAKE YOU QUIT.
2) BUY YOUR SKATES IN A STORE AND HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING HELP YOU TRY THEM ON//MEASURE YOU. ASK FOR AS MUCH HELP AS YOU CAN IN THE STORE. THEY WILL KNOW IF THE SKATE FITS BETTER THAN YOU.
3) IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, BUY THE SKATES THAT THEY LITERALLY BAKE INTO THE SHAPE OF YOUR FOOT.

TYPED IN ALL CAPS SO THAT YOU LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

Yeah I'd say the minimum you should spend on skates is 200 bucks to start... And frankly the higher end ones are totally worth the money.

The big thing is going to be how stiff the boot is and the quality of the tongue was super super super important to me as I have suffered from horrendous lace bite in the past with my cheaper skates.

Personally I use jetspeeds but I tried every single skate in my local skate shop before I bought them. I spent literally 2 hours trying everything on.

It's insanely personal and you need to take your time imho. Everyone's foot is shaped different.

Just in my experience.. the tongue is something you should talk to your local guy about... If you've ever had lace bite you'll know how debilitating it can be and how it takes you out of the game for weeks on end. It's something you can't skate through and gets significantly worse if you don't let it completely heal.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Go in person obviously, choose a specialized store, don't cheap out (guess your not a kid thus skates will serve you for a looong time), in a hockey outfit store they'll help you choose size/fit then heat form / sharpen etc.
Actually when buying my first new pair in a decade this february I've found most of the relevant info from a couple of topics here on the main boards.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_184807.jpg
    IMG_20220203_184807.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad