GDT: ice hockey match this evening agaisnt another ice hockey team at 7ish

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Corvo had some productive years here. IIRC he tied the high score in points (Hill and Ozo) before Pitkanen came along. Sekera was great here but I always thought McBain could have turned into the pass-first version of Corvo.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Stillman and Commofro for Corvo and Eaves.

Eaves was a bust here but it was trade that made sense.

Yep. Stillman was a UFA to be that the Canes didn't think they'd be able to sign..so saying we traded a "still productive" Stillman is a bit misleading because he may have walked at season's end.

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
I understand why we did it, but I wasn't a huge fan of essentially trading J. Williams for E. Cole. Cole did well in the regular season, but he did next to nothing in the Playoffs. It took Williams a while to get over the injuries, but he is a great player when healthy. I'm happy for his success with the Kings

Welcome back. You didn't miss anything.
The boards are more fun when the Canes aren't playing well. The pessimism breeds humor

Wait you're in California now?
Yeah, college and what not. I haven't been to NC in a long time unfortunately

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
There's a reason JR didn't get more out of Jack Johnson, and it only makes the trade worse. This was the trade that introduced JR to what would become a favorite type of deal for him, the one where he gives up more talent in order to dump a bad contract. I'm sure he felt he was doing well getting Gleason, but getting out from under the Tverdovsky deal was just as important to him. The Kings sent Oleg to the AHL after a month and a half and he retired to play in Russia by December. So in the end, there was no reason to pay another team in talent to take Tverdovsky. If we had just traded Johnson and sent Tverdovsky down ourselves, I think we'd have gotten more back for Johnson.

Plus, we got Gleason, whom I've hated since Day 1, so this will always be my least favorite Hurricanes trade.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Sutter, Dumo, #8 pick for Jordan Staal. We basically gave up an essentially NHL-ready dman, one of the best shutdown centers in the game at the time, and a top 10 pick when Jacob Trouba, Teuvo Teravainen, Zemgus Girgensons, Olli Maatta, Mikhail Grigorenko, and some scrub named Filip Forsberg were all still on the board. Thankfully (for us at least) Pittsburgh used that pick on Pouliot who I don't think is anything special, never have, but fact of the matter is it was still a VERY significant overpayment for a guy that seemed likely to sign here as a free agent anyway.
2.5 years later that NHL-ready dman is still in AHL with 14 NHL games to his resume, passed on depth chart from Maatta, Pouliot (who's gonna be much better than Murphy), Harrington, Bortuzzo and Despres (both are traded).

Sutter is nowhere close to Jordan Staal as a shutdown center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad