Post-Game Talk: Ice bird

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Other than the cut inside that he made against Buffalo on the right wall and off a rush, he has not consistently, of late, gotten inside when he works the cycle off the walls. Yesterday, a couple of times he had some space to go inside and just avoided it and passed the puck off.
His first instinct is always to go to the boards. Even when he is close to the net he goes away from it

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Other than the cut inside that he made against Buffalo on the right wall, he has not consistently, of late, gotten inside when he works the cycle off the walls. Yesterday, a couple of times he had some space to go inside and just avoided it and passed the puck off.
I forget which game it was this weekend, either Montreal or Buffalo where he gathered the puck in the very high slot with space & instead of darting toward the net or shooting, his first instinct was to take the puck directly toward the boards. Clearly thats the only aspect of his game he fully trusts. He actually has a decent shot, but not when he's pressured. This kid is the poster child for why sports psychologists exist.

I also think the teams' pass first mentality is rubbing off on these kids in really negative ways. Even Chytil who is clearly a shoot first player passes up WAY too many shots. We really need a witch doctor or Tom Berenger with a bucket of KFC to exercise these demons from our locker room.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
1431122_orig.jpg

How many times in your life have you seen Kakko in this set position to shoot off the pass?

Yeah, exactly. Zero. Maybe one (I'll be generous, and nothing is absolute zero).

The kid is never set to shoot when he doesn't have the puck. When they work the cycle, he cycles for sure, but he's a beta who is looking to facilitate the cycle's continuation, rather than saying, ok, we've made 3 passes already, it's time for someone -- me -- to shoot the puck.
I think last time I saw him do that was October 2019.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You're also a card carrying Panarin hater and would be even more optimistic if he were off the team so there's that.

Again, I'm beginning to think more and more that I want to see that.

I haven’t liked Panarin’s game since the shortened season, but he’s not going anywhere he doesn’t want to go. So we need to grin and bear it pretty much, and hope it gets better.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
fwiw I thought the 3rd was really good. they really tightened up and absolutely hammered Pitts whenever they could. Tarasenko's vicious pasting of Petersson is exactly what we need to see more of when the stakes are higher. Pitts are a very physical team too even if they don't have a bunch of meatheads. The first two periods were horrendous though, and this team is showing many troubling habits from game to game.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We got a point, turned it up in the 3rd, and lost on a badly taken penalty. Not too upset.
He was trying to pull off what he usually pulls off. Only thing he got ambushed, he was hustling hard but lost his brain for a second. What was he thinking?
My explanation of Panarin when he loses the puck. He's like a child that wants his candy back and will do anything to achieve it. Including illegal stuff.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was trying to pull off what he usually pulls off. Only thing he got ambushed, he was hustling hard but lost his brain for a second. What was he thinking?
My explanation of Panarin when he loses the puck. He's like a child that wants his candy back and will do anything to achieve it. Including illegal stuff.

I’m not going to be too hard on Panarin , yeah I joke about the turnovers but he was the hero the game before and had a multi point game against Montreal. It’s just when he makes that much money we tend to get on his case more.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I forget which game it was this weekend, either Montreal or Buffalo where he gathered the puck in the very high slot with space & instead of darting toward the net or shooting, his first instinct was to take the puck directly toward the boards. Clearly thats the only aspect of his game he fully trusts. He actually has a decent shot, but not when he's pressured. This kid is the poster child for why sports psychologists exist.

I also think the teams' pass first mentality is rubbing off on these kids in really negative ways. Even Chytil who is clearly a shoot first player passes up WAY too many shots. We really need a witch doctor or Tom Berenger with a bucket of KFC to exercise these demons from our locker room.

Well said.

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
fwiw I thought the 3rd was really good. they really tightened up and absolutely hammered Pitts whenever they could. Tarasenko's vicious pasting of Petersson is exactly what we need to see more of when the stakes are higher. Pitts are a very physical team too even if they don't have a bunch of meatheads. The first two periods were horrendous though, and this team is showing many troubling habits from game to game.

The Rangers are better when they are playing physical. I don’t understand why they don’t do it more

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
It's correctable.

I don't know why correctable things go uncorrected on this team all the time. You could say the same of some of the habits the vets have too.
I think the coaches are apprehensive when it comes to correcting anything with the vets. Is it the player's coach stuff or just the NYR atmosphere? Of course, I'm assuming this.

I see a lot of good with Kakko. You can see flashes of it. I think it's a confidence thing and being bounced around the lineup doesn't help. I also think he'd benefit from some sort of structure ( as would the team) and lately, they haven't shown anything that resembles structure.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It's exhausting for them.
it's not easy taking a hit to make a play or vice versa but hopefully some of the guys on this team start doing it consistently before mid april. When the kid(s)/ Kid line are doing there thing they are taking hits in the ozone to maintain puck control and make a play.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

All good points, particularly the one about the fat demons needing to work out more :)

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
it's not easy taking a hit to make a play or vice versa but hopefully some of the guys on this team start doing it consistently before mid april. When the kid(s)/ Kid line are doing there thing they are taking hits in the ozone to maintain puck control and make a play.

I think they'll do it in the playoffs. Too much veteran presence not to. I kind of agree with those who've said that maybe they're not going full tilt right now and are conserving some fuel in the tank for the postseason. BUT, the DNA of this team is finesse through and through. When I said it's exhausting for them, I meant that it's not a natural part of their game. They can do it when the situation calls for it, and they can do it in spurts.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Rangers are better when they are playing physical. I don’t understand why they don’t do it more
They are emotional cripples.

They are always flat. We need an emotional leader. It was Reavo last season... now it's whenever Trouba does something on the ice, the team responds.

We need someone amping them up in the locker room. They come out like they're attending a funeral every start to the period.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

They are always flat. We need an emotional leader. It was Reavo last season... now it's whenever Trouba does something on the ice, the team responds.

We need someone amping them up in the locker room. They come out like they're attending a funeral every start to the period.
Schedule hasn't helped. Tons of back to backs including a day game yesterday after a night game while traveling & losing an hour due to daylight savings. But you're correct, this team too often comes out with the energy of the walking dead.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
The 4th line is the best line at the moment because they play a straight ahead game. They get pucks in deep, forecheck, and go to the net.

The top two lines don't drive to the net. They aren't physical. Too fancy. Too east/west. Too perimeter. Panarin is a turnover machine regardless of who he's playing with out there. In fact, I think another pass just got picked off.

Coach Sniffles holds none of the fat cats accountable out there really. Jon Cooper recently benched Stamkos, Point, and Kucherov for an entire 3rd Period. That's coaching. That's sending a message. He's got the cups to prove it. There are no consequences for the highest paid player on the team for consistently turning the puck over. Gallant keeps allowing it to happen.

If something doesn't change, and fast, this team is going to get waxed right out of the playoffs like it was 2016.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
The 4th line is the best line at the moment because they play a straight ahead game. They get pucks in deep, forecheck, and go to the net.

The top two lines don't drive to the net. They aren't physical. Too fancy. Too east/west. Too perimeter. Panarin is a turnover machine regardless of who he's playing with out there. In fact, I think another pass just got picked off.

Coach Sniffles holds none of the fat cats accountable out there really. Jon Cooper recently benched Stamkos, Point, and Kucherov for an entire 3rd Period. That's coaching. That's sending a message. He's got the cups to prove it. There are no consequences for the highest paid player on the team for consistently turning the puck over. Gallant keeps allowing it to happen.

If something doesn't change, and fast, this team is going to get waxed right out of the playoffs like it was 2016.
Gallant thinks he’s still a player, the way his guys never face any real accountability

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Totally unsubstantiated.
I don’t think it takes much imagination to figure out which part I'm talking about.
Sorry. I should clarify. I don’t know or nec think Vally was saying anyone was nec first on last off at practice. He I believe he was using it as an example to describe a player who seems to play by his own rules and how when a player like that makes mistakes again and again it starts to get under the skin of his teammates who are playing by the rules.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

I think that calmness under adversity is what the non-Gallant aka players leadership group preaches. It's why I think they look flat all the time except for when Trouba loses his shit. Where/who specifically started this philosophy, I don't know, but it's been alluded to before with canned quotes like "we just try to stay with our system even if we're trailing blah blah."

Reactions: The Gloaming

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Schedule hasn't helped. Tons of back to backs including a day game yesterday after a night game while traveling & losing an hour due to daylight savings. But you're correct, this team too often comes out with the energy of the walking dead.
I'm not sure how it's allowed to have back to back games with travel with start times less than 24 hours from each other. Seems wildly unfair. I know Pitt was also on the second of a B2B but they were at home for both games so no travel and their game on Saturday was a 3:30 start, ours was a 5pm.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
1431122_orig.jpg

How many times in your life have you seen Kakko in this set position to shoot off the pass?

Yeah, exactly. Zero. Maybe one (I'll be generous, and nothing is absolute zero).

The kid is never set to shoot when he doesn't have the puck. When they work the cycle, he cycles for sure, but he's a beta who is looking to facilitate the cycle's continuation, rather than saying, ok, we've made 3 passes already, it's time for someone -- me -- to shoot the puck.

Title: The Finn's Journey

Kaapo Kakko, a young Finnish forward, has just been drafted by the New York Rangers in the NHL. He is a highly-touted prospect, known for his exceptional stickhandling and playmaking abilities. However, despite his skillset, he struggles with a debilitating fear of shooting the puck, which hinders his ability to become a quality 1st line player.

The team's head coach recognizes Kakko's potential and assigns him to work with a sports psychologist to overcome his fear. Through a series of sessions, Kakko opens up about the root of his fear, which stems from a childhood incident where he missed a game-winning shot in a junior tournament.

As Kakko works through his mental block, he also begins to develop a friendship with the team's veteran captain, who takes him under his wing and shows him the ropes. With newfound confidence in his shooting abilities, Kakko begins to flourish on the ice, scoring goals and setting up plays with ease.

However, as the Rangers push towards the playoffs, Kakko faces a setback when he misses a critical shot in a game. Doubt begins to creep back in, and he questions whether he truly belongs on the top line.

In a pivotal moment, the captain pulls Kakko aside and reminds him of his progress and potential. With renewed determination, Kakko returns to the ice and scores a game-winning goal in the final seconds of the next game, propelling the Rangers to victory.

The movie ends with Kakko standing at center ice, receiving a standing ovation from the home crowd as he celebrates his newfound confidence and success on the ice.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Some thoughts:

- the lines in the 3rd were promising. ESP the All-American line. Unlike Bread, Kane does have the ability to mesh with N/S players. Putting him with Kreider and Tro seems like a good fit. (For now).

- Trouba hit changed the game ultimately for the better.

- Mikkola played well. Schneider is struggling a bit. But Miller has been a bit too erratic. Needs to simplify.

- team played better defensively as game went on. Minus the 2-1 late in the third.

- don’t know if anyone listens to Garden Faithful podcast with Staple and Vally but on the last ep Vally made a general point about how nothing bugs teammates more than a player who is last on and first off at practice and ends up being the one who makes the mistakes during the game. ESP if that player is part of team leadership. He did not mention any player by name. He didn’t even necessarily say it was a thing on the Rangers, but it certainly felt like he was talking about someone on the current team. I don’t think it takes much imagination to figure out who he’s talking about. Likely the guy who took the penalty in the offensive zone in OT.

And I will just say this: how come no one but Ryan Strome has figured out how to play with 2022-23 Artemi? Not Kane, not Tarasenko not Trocheck or Mika or Chytil. No one. Why do we have to sacrifice our best center to baby sit him? Because that’s what the new line combos are doing. Sacrificing a bit of Mika’s offensive aggressiveness for the good of the team.

Look, there’s no denying the guys skill and artistry. But Bread’s overall game? His fairly regular refusal to manage the puck and game situations is frustrating not only to fans but one would imagine his teammates as well. And due to his salary and lord knows what else the coach seems too neutered to address. But it is glaring now that they brought in Tara and Kane and while neither is a defensive wizard, I’ve now seen both make a bigger effort to manage the game and puck better than #10. Say what you want about Kane’s lack of explosiveness and mostly perimeter game but he does actually dump the puck in. In any case, someone needs to get through to Artemi about playing more responsibly and maybe Kane and Tarasenko are just the guys to do it. But that’s what’s necessary because I don’t think anyone on the existing roster or management can get through. The thing is it’s not like Artemi needs to change 90% of his game. He just needs to pick his spots better and avoid making plays in certain areas of the ice and certain times of the game. There was little reason to take that penalty in OT 200 ft from your own goal but it’s just part of a pattern that includes staying on for 90 seconds on the PP, extending shifts in general, making I’ll advised passes, lazy stick penalties. If he was a rookie he’d be in HFD or Vancouver by now. Again 90% if what he does is brilliant, but it’s that 10% that is costly and I think also pretty damaging to team chemistry.
Panarin is known as ice rink rank. He tried to make something out of Kravtsov for cry sake. Also Trocheck has been just fine meshing with Panarin. He was also totally fine with Zibanejad when Gallant decided to have them and Kreider - Trocheck together. He made Copp - a total of 8 (!!!)goals so far on the season look like a top center.

Yes Panarin does take unnecessary risky options - a real issue, but not meshing with players or not giving an effort are unsubstantiated biases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad