Post-Game Talk: Ice bird

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
5-5-2 in the last 12 with only 1 win in regulation. 11 of their last 14 on the road. So much has gone on with this team over the last 3 weeks but that's over and hopefully Lindgren is back very soon. They need to start playing better and that starts next game against Washington. 16 games to go. Time to put the big boy pants on.

Last edited:

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Or, how the team would look if we could allocate that $11.6mm to find another decent PMD and a few N/S wingers with a lot of speed to complement all the slow footed playmakes in our lineup.

Like someone already said, guys like Vesey and Motte jump out so much on our team cause they have real motors. I’d happily sacrifice Panarin if we could get a few more high motor, top 9 talents and another decent PMD in our lineup and that will likely only become more apparent during the POs.
Lol. This guys trying to go back to 2012.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Some thoughts:

- the lines in the 3rd were promising. ESP the All-American line. Unlike Bread, Kane does have the ability to mesh with N/S players. Putting him with Kreider and Tro seems like a good fit. (For now).

- Trouba hit changed the game ultimately for the better.

- Mikkola played well. Schneider is struggling a bit. But Miller has been a bit too erratic. Needs to simplify.

- team played better defensively as game went on. Minus the 2-1 late in the third.

- don’t know if anyone listens to Garden Faithful podcast with Staple and Vally but on the last ep Vally made a general point about how nothing bugs teammates more than a player who is last on and first off at practice and ends up being the one who makes the mistakes during the game. ESP if that player is part of team leadership. He did not mention any player by name. He didn’t even necessarily say it was a thing on the Rangers, but it certainly felt like he was talking about someone on the current team. I don’t think it takes much imagination to figure out who he’s talking about. Likely the guy who took the penalty in the offensive zone in OT.

And I will just say this: how come no one but Ryan Strome has figured out how to play with 2022-23 Artemi? Not Kane, not Tarasenko not Trocheck or Mika or Chytil. No one. Why do we have to sacrifice our best center to baby sit him? Because that’s what the new line combos are doing. Sacrificing a bit of Mika’s offensive aggressiveness for the good of the team.

Look, there’s no denying the guys skill and artistry. But Bread’s overall game? His fairly regular refusal to manage the puck and game situations is frustrating not only to fans but one would imagine his teammates as well. And due to his salary and lord knows what else the coach seems too neutered to address. But it is glaring now that they brought in Tara and Kane and while neither is a defensive wizard, I’ve now seen both make a bigger effort to manage the game and puck better than #10. Say what you want about Kane’s lack of explosiveness and mostly perimeter game but he does actually dump the puck in. In any case, someone needs to get through to Artemi about playing more responsibly and maybe Kane and Tarasenko are just the guys to do it. But that’s what’s necessary because I don’t think anyone on the existing roster or management can get through. The thing is it’s not like Artemi needs to change 90% of his game. He just needs to pick his spots better and avoid making plays in certain areas of the ice and certain times of the game. There was little reason to take that penalty in OT 200 ft from your own goal but it’s just part of a pattern that includes staying on for 90 seconds on the PP, extending shifts in general, making I’ll advised passes, lazy stick penalties. If he was a rookie he’d be in HFD or Vancouver by now. Again 90% if what he does is brilliant, but it’s that 10% that is costly and I think also pretty damaging to team chemistry.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
- don’t know if anyone listens to Garden Faithful podcast with Staple and Vally but on the last ep Vally made a general point about how nothing bugs teammates more than a player who is last on and first off at practice and ends up being the one who makes the mistakes during the game. ESP if that player is part of team leadership. He did not mention any player by name. He didn’t even necessarily say it was a thing on the Rangers, but it certainly felt like he was talking about someone on the current team. I don’t think it takes much imagination to figure out who he’s talking about. Likely the guy who took the penalty in the offensive zone in OT.

Maybe. Before he was dealt to Vancouver I think Kravtsov and Panarin would stay on the ice after practices and work on stuff together.

Reactions: gravey9 and Crease

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Some thoughts:

- the lines in the 3rd were promising. ESP the All-American line. Unlike Bread, Kane does have the ability to mesh with N/S players. Putting him with Kreider and Tro seems like a good fit. (For now).

- Trouba hit changed the game ultimately for the better.

- Mikkola played well. Schneider is struggling a bit. But Miller has been a bit too erratic. Needs to simplify.

- team played better defensively as game went on. Minus the 2-1 late in the third.

And I will just say this: how come no one but Ryan Strome has figured out how to play with 2022-23 Artemi? Not Kane, not Tarasenko not Trocheck or Mika or Chytil. No one. Why do we have to sacrifice our best center to baby sit him? Because that’s what the new line combos are doing. Sacrificing a bit of Mika’s offensive aggressiveness for the good of the team.

Look, there’s no denying the guys skill and artistry. But Bread’s overall game? His fairly regular refusal to manage the puck and game situations is frustrating not only to fans but one would imagine his teammates as well. And due to his salary and lord knows what else the coach seems too neutered to address. But it is glaring now that they brought in Tara and Kane and while neither is a defensive wizard, I’ve now seen both make a bigger effort to manage the game and puck better than #10. Say what you want about Kane’s lack of explosiveness and mostly perimeter game but he does actually dump the puck in. In any case, someone needs to get through to Artemi about playing more responsibly and maybe Kane and Tarasenko are just the guys to do it. But that’s what’s necessary because I don’t think anyone on the existing roster or management can get through. The thing is it’s not like Artemi needs to change 90% of his game. He just needs to pick his spots better and avoid making plays in certain areas of the ice and certain times of the game. There was little reason to take that penalty in OT 200 ft from your own goal but it’s just part of a pattern that includes staying on for 90 seconds on the PP, extending shifts in general, making I’ll advised passes, lazy stick penalties. If he was a rookie he’d be in HFD or Vancouver by now. Again 90% if what he does is brilliant, but it’s that 10% that is costly and I think also pretty damaging to team chemistry.
Totally unsubstantiated.
I don’t think it takes much imagination to figure out which part I'm talking about.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I really don't like any NHL team but the Rangers, but I really detest Pittsburgh. It brings my heart joy to think soon Sid, Malkin and Letang will move on and that lowlife system cheating franchise will be back to trying to weasel their way to another generational player. I can almost hear their cries of financial distress already as Uncle Gary caves in and gives them their way again...
Watch them bail and then win the 2026 Draft Lottery.....and land Gavin McKenna the apparent next one who recently broke Canada Games records and played 44 minutes in one game for his club . You just know that is where he goes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As a card carrying optimist even I can admit Panarin has been horseshit recently. He needs an intervention from Mika Kreider and Trouba

Can someone explain why Larry is complaining that Halak didn’t meet the media after the game? Honestly who cares?
You're also a card carrying Panarin hater and would be even more optimistic if he were off the team so there's that.

Again, I'm beginning to think more and more that I want to see that.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Kane finds chemistry with any line he's put on that doesn't have Panarin on it.

Tarasenko doing his thing out there no matter who he's playing with.

Who the f*** has Panarin shown he can play with?
Strome

In all seriousness, I am as positive and upbeat most times, but I am legit concerned with them because I think the coach is a bum.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's slow. That's the foundation of his mediocre play.
He's slow but that doesn't stop him from getting into good positions. He just doesn't shoot.

We have a player with a grating lack of confidence on a team that you know isn't going to do anything about it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Can someone explain why Larry is complaining that Halak didn’t meet the media after the game? Honestly who cares?

Because as he mentioned in a subsequent tweet the media has had Igor and Jaro available after games a combined 12 times this season.

It used to be the locker room was open five minutes after the game. Most every player was at their stall available to speak to whoever wanted to speak to them. Some might be unavailable because they got injured during the game, some might be receiving treatment, or in some cases had a bad game and just wanted to be left alone.

The goalie, like a pitcher, was usually always available. Henrik always spoke after games. Even the stinkers.

For whatever reason the players these days aren't around immediately after games. A handful are being made available through team PR while they run interference on the others that the media are seeking to speak to. I don't know if this is just a Ranger thing or a league wide thing. I mean last night Kreider was said to be "unavailable" to the media. Why? He's knows the deal. He's been doing this since 2012. And he's usually one who gives thoughtful and insightful answers.

I like hearing from the players. We don't get to a lot if you really think about it. When was the last time you heard a Ranger on FAN or ESPN 98.7? Rangers PR will not allow a player to go on the Post podcast or Vince's podcast or any podcast really. Why? Vince gets around this by recording an interview with a player after practice and playing it on his podcast. But what's the big deal? If you hear these interviews (Vince has had Jimmy Vesey and Filip Chytil) they are harmless. But they do allow for some personality to come out. You learn things you didn't know before.

I don't know. You want to grow the game? Player accessibility should be at the forefront.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He's slow but that doesn't stop him from getting into good positions. He just doesn't shoot.

We have a player with a grating lack of confidence on a team that you know isn't going to do anything about it.
1431122_orig.jpg

How many times in your life have you seen Kakko in this set position to shoot off the pass?

Yeah, exactly. Zero. Maybe one (I'll be generous, and nothing is absolute zero).

The kid is never set to shoot when he doesn't have the puck. When they work the cycle, he cycles for sure, but he's a beta who is looking to facilitate the cycle's continuation, rather than saying, ok, we've made 3 passes already, it's time for someone -- me -- to shoot the puck.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1431122_orig.jpg

How many times in your life have you seen Kakko in this set position to shoot off the pass?

Yeah, exactly. Zero. Maybe one (I'll be generous, and nothing is absolute zero).

The kid is never set to shoot when he doesn't have the puck. When they work the cycle, he cycles for sure, but he's a beta who is looking to facilitate the cycle's continuation, rather than saying, ok, we've made 3 passes already, it's time for someone -- me -- to shoot the puck.
It's correctable.

I don't know why correctable things go uncorrected on this team all the time. You could say the same of some of the habits the vets have too.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
1431122_orig.jpg

Yea that makes sense. Being slow shouldn't prevent him from shooting. That line just continuously cycles till laf or Chytil shoots

It's correctable.

I don't know why correctable things go uncorrected on this team all the time. You could say the same of some of the habits the vets have too.
It is but Gallant isn't the guy to do it

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Yea that makes sense. Being slow shouldn't prevent him from shooting. That line just continuously cycles till laf or Chytil shoots

It is but Gallant isn't the guy to do it

Other than the cut inside that he made against Buffalo on the right wall and off a rush, he has not consistently, of late, gotten inside when he works the cycle off the walls. Yesterday, a couple of times he had some space to go inside and just avoided it and passed the puck off.

Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If Bread pulls this shit in the playoffs (again) I honestly think Drury will try his best to move him. Whether it's able to happen is another story.

Bread is dynamic as they come, but he is a catalyst of puck mis-management and selfishness on this team.

They have a solid 4th line right now, playing a winning brand of hockey, the kid line comes out and doesnt do anything particularly outstanding, but they dont force things and get off the f***ing ice when you should get off the f***ing ice. Sometimes even earlier than they should, for the benefit of the team.

Then Panarin comes out and does some whirly bird shit and sends 3 or more low percentage passes east/west across the ice each shift. He is unwilling to make the smart play and then he over stays his shifts, like he deserves more time out there.

There is no way this team wins anything unless all players are willing to sacrifice. The lower lines sacrifice their bodies, ice time and selfish opportunities to get on the score sheet. Bread will actually find he will get more high danger chances and clearer passing lanes if he begins managing the puck the right way but he refuses to sacrifice for the team.

And dont think for a second that the other players dont notice that. As glamorous as his game is its a double edged sword. I have seen more of a drive defensively and physically from Panarin at times this year. He doesnt float. But goddamn it make the right plays with the puck and get off the ice when you should

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad