News Article: Ian White

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I recall he had a known problem with alcohol while he was with the Marlies/leafs. Should never have been prescribed those meds by team doctors given his history.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Really sad to see. Feel for the guy and his wife and kids. I hope the Leafs organization/alumni step up.

Reactions: garce

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
His wife certainly seems to be a person of substance, what a plague opiates have become, you can see my little town descending by the month. Sad.
It takes a strong person to power through the strain of assisting an addict through that long haul, especially one with which you have a deep emotional attachment.
As satisfying as a positive outcome is, and it reaches the soul, the relief that it's over is indescribable.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Crazy what they'll give these guys just to get them through for the sake of pro sports. Theres no f***s given to their long-term health. Sort of related here, but I remember reading something from Dr. James Andrews, a world renowned surgeon famous for Tommy John surgery, and this was 20 years ago, and he was saying something along the lines of, he'd be performing surgery on an athlete and there was almost nothing left of the ligaments. Like nothing left in the shoulder/elbow. They'd been shot up with so much cortisone that it ate away at the ligament. Cortisone was never designed to be a long-term solution, but in baseball it meant you could keep playing for a while and not feel the effects. I'm never surprised when a team or union doesn't give a shit.

Reactions: smitty10

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I heard from a former teammate he was a serious boozer, but didn't realize he went down such a spiral.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Sometimes you need to be realistic and find a new career if the one you've got is ruining your body.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I DEAL, with a lot of NHl players, current and ex... None of them have appeared in front of me, to have any, proclivity towards, alcohol or drugs...

I would estimate I deal with, possibly as many as 60 nhlers...

All seem to be positive, good spirits, definitely, no fallouts with alcohol, or drugs..

Hope it continues..

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is a shock to me. He was always so well behaved even in the video interviews when he was with the Leafs. I never would have picked him to be one with addiction.

I hope he gets well and gets the help he needs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Addiction is a disease like any other disease, people need to be treated on an individual basis. I'm a bit conflicted by people putting the onus on the NHL to help former players for every health ailment post NHL. Some things like CTE yes, addiction no. I get that he was prescribed opiates during his stint in the NHL but conversely there are millions of people who have been prescribed opiates and have stopped them with out any further use \ abuse. Understanding that this is a disease, people need to take personal accountability for their situation. Treatment starts with the individual. If the former players are waiting for the NHL to help them they will never get the care they need. Heck the NHL (Bettman) is still till today denying any connection between CTE and the repetitive hits players take every game. The appropriate thing IMO is for the NHL and NHLPA to both contribute to a fund where the sole purpose is to support retired players post hockey career health issues. NHLPA would administers that fund.

I sincerely hope that Ian is able to get the counseling / therapy that he needs to put this chapter in his life behind him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I DEAL, with a lot of NHl players, current and ex... None of them have appeared in front of me, to have any, proclivity towards, alcohol or drugs...

All seem to be positive, good spirits, definitely, no fallouts with alcohol, or drugs..

Hope it continues..

Do you "deal" with them in a professional setting or in a social setting?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Hope it continues..

It is everywhere, and I suspect in some cases it is just the path they're on. And Derek Sanderson is another.
A glimpse on the early Ian White.
Campbell's Cuts: New book provides insight into scouting world

A 37 year old who made $10mm shouldn't be broke and homeless.
You have to feel for the family, and that is where the NHLPA should be stepping up, but really it should be education early and often.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
Never knew about it till I saw the story couple of weeks ago.
And at one point he was living in the streets!
Poor guy. Poor wife, & their kids.
It was so sad watching their story.
Wish them all the best.
Friggin addiction

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Terribly sad all around. Ian was one of my favorite players in that shit Leafs era. Tough as nails, and was sneaky good on both sides of the ice.

Unbelievable mental strength on display from his ex-wife. I cannot begin to imagine how hard that would have been. As terrible of an ending that story is, it's also a great example of human perseverance.

Hope Ian can get the help he needs, but those opiates are no joke. The dependency is crippling. Terribly sad.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As sad as this story is, it's hard to have a lot of sympathy for NHL players with the amount they are paid to play a game.

It takes me TEN or more years to earn what league minimum players make in ONE year!

Some of the top paid players earn more money in ONE shift on the ice than I make in ONE year!

The NHL and the NHLPA should be taking better care of the players and their families!

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As sad as this story is, it's hard to have a lot of sympathy for NHL players with the amount they are paid to play a game.

It takes me TEN or more years to earn what league minimum players make in ONE year!

Some of the top paid players earn more money in ONE shift on the ice than I make in ONE year!

The NHL and the NHLPA should be taking better care of the players and their families!
Have you taken prescribed medicine due to injury? I can't say that if I was being given drugs for injury at work, that I wouldn't become addicted. I wouldn't know until I had to do it. Also, some players do make ALOT and generally every wage is good, but read the article by Avery - once everyone takes a piece of the pie, the contracts aren't that lucrative.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

It shouldn't be that difficult that the league force the players to pay into a company pension plan just as many everyday workers do. They could just say everybody is paying 10% of their pay into a lifelong pension. Ofcourse everyone's pension would be different as they all make different amounts. 10% may seem high but they are only in it for a few years. Players would just have to accept the deduction as regular people do. They get it back eventually anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It shouldn't be that difficult that the league force the players to pay into a company pension plan just as many everyday workers do. They could just say everybody is paying 10% of their pay into a lifelong pension. Ofcourse everyone's pension would be different as they all make different amounts. 10% may seem high but they are only in it for a few years. Players would just have to accept the deduction as regular people do. They get it back eventually anyway.
Didn't they use to do something like that and Alan Eagleson stole their money?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Didn't they use to do something like that and Alan Eagleson stole their money?
Well if he did it was a silly notion to put one guy incharge of it. Almost as bad as me being incharge of employee company pension for workers in a major company. There must be a way to have the league run it or hook up with another major pension plan such as the teachers, or government workers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad