Speculation: Ian Mitchell

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
We're all gonna die!!!

not sure if I get your reference, I think you are talking about Covid 19....

I am not, I am just stating that 5 months has gone by since Mitchell said what you indicated he did about wanting to sign with the hawks....Mitchell may or may not still have that mindset as that is a lot of time that has gone by

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
not sure if I get your reference, I think you are talking about Covid 19....

I am not, I am just stating that 5 months has gone by since Mitchell said what you indicated he did about wanting to sign with the hawks....Mitchell may or may not still have that mindset as that is a lot of time that has gone by

Poking fun at your fatalistic 'tude. Mitchell's virtually a lock.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Didn't Mitchell go back to college this season so he and his team would have a shot at a championship? Because if he still has that dream, and he can't do it this season, then there is a real chance he's a senior in college this time next year.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Didn't Mitchell go back to college this season so he and his team would have a shot at a championship? Because if he still has that dream, and he can't do it this season, then there is a real chance he's a senior in college this time next year.
He actually said nothing about wanting to win a college title. It was all geared towards his development. His exact quote;

“In the past few days since our season ended, I have had the chance to reflect on the year and the season our team had,” Mitchell said in a statement from DU. “It became clear to me during that time that I did not feel ready mentally or physically to leave Denver. I believe this is the best place for me to become a better hockey player and as a team we have an opportunity to do something very special next year. I would like to thank the Chicago Blackhawks organization for being so supportive and respectful of my decision to remain in school and continue my development.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
As far as I know Mitchell's goal wasn't to win a title per se, but to become the best blueliner in the NCAA.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Read on the Athletic today that college players will not be able to burn off a year of their ELC this season. So now there's less incentive for him to sign even if they do resume games.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Read on the Athletic today that college players will not be able to burn off a year of their ELC this season. So now there's less incentive for him to sign even if they do resume games.

That's a bummer for Mitchell, but I still expect him to sign. Next step in his development is going pro and trying to make the Hawks. He's ready. No point in staying at Denver.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
What did Barratt say in the article? And can you tell me what Mitchell said because Powers said that there is an update.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
What did Barratt say in the article? And can you tell me what Mitchell said because Powers said that there is an update.

As of Sunday, he hadn't spoken with Bowman. The article's focus was on how abrupt and crushing the season ending was/is. For the vast majority of the seniors, this is the end of the line. WRT signing w/the Hawks, no tell, either way. FWLIW, I think he's done playing for Penn State.

Tiny Mitchell blurb at end of the article. “I don’t have any current update,” Mitchell wrote in a text. “I will be talking with the people close to me, but with the league shut down things are moving pretty slowly.”

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Link : DU's Ian Mitchell turned down NHL to win national title. Coronavirus ended that quest

key excerpt:
“I’m likely to sign and forgo my senior season but with the uncertainty that’s happening right now, who knows?” Mitchell said. “But I’m likely to sign.”

Gotta keep telling yourself he's not Kevin Hayes.

Q&A with Hawks prospect Kevin Hayes

Do you know what your plan is going forward with the Blackhawks?

KH: Pretty sure I’ll be signing once the season’s over. We’ll take it from there

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They have to close that loophole in the next CBA. College UFA was always intended to be undrafted players, not high picks that get to spurn the team that holds their rights.

If you're drafted, the drafting team holds rights until the player meets the qualifications for UFA. Period. It's also likely to get college juniors drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad