Management Ian Mendes: Snoop Dog involved in Neko Sparks bid

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The promise to visit "6 times, up to 10 if we make the playoffs" was a weird thing to say... Why put a number on it? Sounds like his "agreement" involves him showing up ~once a month during the season and once per round if the team makes a run...

Bet at least one of those 6 in-season appearances is allowed to be when the Senators are visiting the LA Kings.

Snoop thinks him coming in and getting in front of the cameras is community - it’s not, it’s celebrity.

Don’t think Snoop is serious about ownership - I doubt he has money in this. This has a ‘Trump Brand” feel to it where Snoop is paid to lend his name to up the profile of the bid and it’s not Snoop himself investing a large part of his fortune to grow the game from a deep burning passion.

It’s one thing to say you’re going to do these amazing community things from L.A. when someone is paying you, it’s a completely other thing to schedule your world tour around being in Ottawa in February to go the Boys and Girls club and shake hands on a Wednesday afternoon.

I’m all for what Sparks is doing as far as a diverse group - but Snoop feels like a paid infomercial for Sparks to raise his his bids profile and not a serious community partner.

The finer details of RR vs Snoop is RR has said he’s going to come in and Hilite the community and the stories around the team and the people who make it run - Snoop thinks of himself as the story. To RR Ottawa itself is the story, to Snoop him being in ottawa is the story.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
If the RR group is smart, they should make their group a bit more diverse and grab themselves a token POC 🤣.

I half joke but it would be a smart move and honestly be good for everyone involved. League included. And tbh, they should have thought of it already.

As a gay POC, I'm here and ready.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I generally like Ian and respect his work but I find it concerning and disappointing that he seems so willing and eager to hold water for a self proclaimed and admitted 'pimp.' Guy built his career on misogyny, sexism, and literally actually selling the bodies of women.

Now I know it's a big, mean world out there so I don't personally go clutching my pearls over Snoop and the like but I also haven't gone and built/furthered my career by loudly proclaiming myself an 'ally' to womens issues or placing myself square on the throne of judgement and moral righteousness over the regular everyday shlub who might not be up-to-date with todays 'way' of thinking.

Guy was more than happy to label Melnyk a misogynist and is now writing fluff pieces for a known human trafficker. The hypocrisy is sickening really.

Seems to me like you are clutching your pearls very firmly here lol.

In fact, this entire thread is filled with pearl clutching. Funny how no one is doing heavy research into the other bidders but when it comes to the Sparks group, we have a team of armchair reporters delving into their background while admonishing Mendes for daring to focus on that particular bid.

Very interesting,

Reactions: Silex

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

In fact, this entire thread is filled with pearl clutching. Funny how no one is doing heavy research into the other bidders but when it comes to the Sparks group, we have a team of armchair reporters delving into their background while admonishing Mendes for daring to focus on that particular bid.

Very interesting,

They're getting a lot of press from Mendes and ESPN right now, which other ownership bid are we going to talk about? In the main board, someone at least took the time to list the other bidders, would be nice to see something written about them.

I'm already skeptical about the Remington group as a shady Ontario land developer.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
"God no! No, I was just trying to help a friend!"

I'm just saying, pimping involves economic exploitation of prostitutes. If you remove the exploitation what are you left with?

Seems like Snoop was using this as a way to meet athletes and other HNW individuals. No indication any of the women were being compelled, especially if they were keeping 100% of the profits.

I don't really have a problem with prostitution so long as its free and consensual so I'm not sure what's so deplorable about all this.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm just saying, pimping involves economic exploitation of prostitutes. If you remove the exploitation what are you left with?

Seems like Snoop was using this as a way to meet athletes and other HNW individuals. No indication any of the women were being compelled, especially if they were keeping 100% of the profits.

I don't really have a problem with prostitution so long as its free and consensual so I'm not sure what's so deplorable about all this.

I mean, I'm just quoting a scene from a funny movie

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID

Very interesting,

It's not really that interesting. All the other major groups are known entities with bonafide businesses. This Sparks group is a total question mark. No one knows him, no one knows what he does or why he is interested in an NHL team in Canada. So people are doing their due dilligence to understand these things and what kind of owner he would be for this franchise. All very legitimate questions and concerns.

It's not hard to find racism and prejudice in everything people say or do, if you believe racism and prejudice exists in everything people say or do. If anyone is clutching pearls here it's you.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Very interesting,

I mean, there's tons of publicly available information about the other bidders (i.e. easy to find out who Chris Bratty, Jeffrey Kimel or Michael Andlauer are and how they got to be where they are). Lots to go on to make a judgement about them.

Nobody knows who Neko Sparks is, where he's come from, or where this supposed money is coming from. We know it's not coming from him. And he himself has answered zero questions beyond making vague promises.

But a simple Google search unveils multiple amateur-looking crypto/luxury travel businesses that appear to be scams – which isn't the best for the guy's credibility.

And everyone has collectively shit on Graeme Roustan and his "bid", too.

Last edited:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008

Very interesting,

That's the issue, the other main contender is very public with existing entities and real feedback shitting on them, that's how we know they're a real company. We know what their incentive is, it's pretty transparent.

We're looking into the Sparks group because there's f*** all out there that supports that they're actually genuine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And everyone has collectively shit on Graeme Roustan and his "bid", too.
People shit on Roustan mostly because he was buddying up with Melnyk before he passed away. Nobody accused him of being a scam artist or anything.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
People shit on Roustan mostly because he was buddying up with Melnyk before he passed away. Nobody accused him of being a scam artist or anything.

Roustan appears to be an asshole, like Melnyk, so people shit on him.
Sparks appears to be a conman, so people should also shit on him.

I don't understand how anyone can just ignore a massive red flag like this My Niros. "EARN BITCOIN AND ETHEREUM BY HOLDING NIROS. A NEW PATH TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM." That is a con. Straight up.

And hey, if it comes out that Chris Bratty is a slumlord or something, I'll shit on him too.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's not really that interesting. All the other major groups are known entities with bonafide businesses. This Sparks group is a total question mark. No one knows him, no one knows what he does or why he is interested in an NHL team in Canada. So people are doing their due dilligence to understand these things and what kind of owner he would be for this franchise. All very legitimate questions and concerns.

It's not hard to find racism and prejudice in everything people say or do, if you believe racism and prejudice exists in everything people say or do. If anyone is clutching pearls here it's you.

Lol how tf am I clutching my pearls? I'm not the one writing post after post about the Sparks group. I'm just calling out the obvious bias.

There's also literally nothing wrong with Mendes choosing to write a few more articles on Sparks/Snoop. If he wrote exclusively about Remmington/RR no one would be calling him out for it would they?

That's the issue, the other main contender is very public with existing entities and real feedback shitting on them, that's how we know they're a real company. We know what their incentive is, it's pretty transparent.

We're looking into the Sparks group because there's f*** all out there that supports that they're actually genuine.

If there was "f*** all" info about the Sparks' group's financials the NHL would have already dismissed it long ago. To think that a bunch of amateur detectives in here know more than the NHL does is hilarious.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm completely uninterested in the snoop group and it's got nothing to do with racism.

Acquiring the Senators isn't just an issue of money. We need a new rink. Downtown. We are already finished with one downtown rink boondoggle that went nowhere. We've got a massively f***ed up train system that's primarily the result of inexperience.

We need an ownership group that can afford the team, that can afford cash in the game on an arena build, and that has real world experience in building infrastructure, be it highrises or arenas.

And I'd rather that group be Canadian

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The snoop news has the guys who are weirdly infatuated with Reynolds all angry and agitated.

Chill out boys

Snoop plans to bring back EK65, or still thinks he plays for the Senators?
Neko Sparks Wikipedia; Net Worth, Bio, Age, Parents, Dating, Job.png

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
To think that a bunch of amateur detectives in here know more than the NHL does is hilarious.

1 year later

2 years later

"To think that a bunch of amateur detectives on Reddit know more than GM does is hilarious." Turns out, they did.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

1 year later

2 years later

Elizabeth Holmes generated a networth of $4.5B and raised $700M from investors selling them on a technology that never existed. The capital that was injected into her company came from idiots, I guess.

Look at Sam Bankman-Fried's web of corruption and fraud. He was the "60th" richest person in the world at one point.

The list of fraudsters and con-men with overinflated wealth is long.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I understand that at the end of the day this is a private sale of a private business, but it's important to this community, especially considering the real estate component.

Not Technically….. the new ownership is buying one of 32 NHL franchises, and the sale has to be approved by the BOG… as basically they’re buying 1/32th of the NHL.

as I mentioned earlier, the closer to home/local ownership is, would be the better for all concerned.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
They're getting a lot of press from Mendes and ESPN right now, which other ownership bid are we going to talk about? In the main board, someone at least took the time to list the other bidders, would be nice to see something written about them.

I'm already skeptical about the Remington group as a shady Ontario land developer.

Sorry Flamingo: I was not trying to reply to you.

When Neko first came to the surface several months back he introduced himself as a multi faceted business man - everything from blockchain to movie producer. Ok, what do we know. At that time he led with POC ownership etc. and as far as I recall that was met with positive or minimally neutral reaction - people were thrilled it was leaked they would go to 950M

skip forward to now and he is still around. ok, who's this guy talking to Snoop.

This "heavy research" was going to his various social media accounts and corporate website. He seems to have less followers than my 10 year old nephew. This seems odd for a guy in his type of business.

The rest of the bidders are known to us - at least to the extent we need to - we know how they made their money - importantly, that they have money and have social media and websites that tell us who they are and have some sort of obvious reason to buy the team - they like hockey, and oh look, they are builders and it seems there is some downtown land and the current rink's land. hmmmm.

We know who the Hockey News guy is. We dragged that guy to the point he wrote a self serving pity party of an op-ed lamenting about the good looks and charm of "celebrity bidders". Nobody was calling anybody on that research.

I think pretty much every potential group has been accused of "they are just going to move the team to Quebec/Houston/GTA".

There were folks on this site who were for sure a little disappointed in everything surrounding the liver donation for Euge.

it's big business and people care about it.

I don't think it's too much to ask that sport reporters would ask even some basic questions. Example "Neko, when you first indicated interest you told us you had a nice mix of UK, American, and Canadian money, but this week we find out that you have hired a search firm to find Canadian investors. Can you explain that?"

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Very interesting,
I'll tell you what, I'll research one of the faces of the other bids - Ryan Reynolds - and you do Neko Sparks. I think it's only fair that we also look into the backgrounds of other bidders in this process, like you said. Let me know when you want to make your post and I'll time mine to coincide.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Didn't the Yakuza own part of Tampa at one point?

You would think the NHL is going to be more careful this time around.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't think it's too much to ask that sport reporters would ask even some basic questions. Example "Neko, when you first indicated interest you told us you had a nice mix of UK, American, and Canadian money, but this week we find out that you have hired a search firm to find Canadian investors. Can you explain that?"
Or maybe even "who is Neko Sparks?" if we might be so bold to ask WHO THE f*** IS THIS GUY????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad