Management Ian Mendes: Snoop Dog involved in Neko Sparks bid

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Which is why I like boring, established money like Andlauer Group
there's some old horse betting theory about when the money is split on the favourites, bet on the long shot. Not sure Andlauer can be considered a long shot, but everyone seems to have him in the "and that other guy" category. I would not be surprised to find he's been doing business while everyone else has been doing theatre.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
For the record, why are people bashing Mendes. He is a reporter and he is getting the scoop on a bid for our benefit as consumers of media. He isn't f***ing endorsing the group or any group. Some people have a hard time with reading comprehension and many here probablky think that if Sparks wins the bid that Mendes will quit and work for them. The fact that he has been able to extract this info, and not Garrioch or Friedman, shouldn't mean that he endorses the bid.

He is a reporting on a group that is trying to buy the team.
If you're reporting on a group, don't you think it would be interesting to your readership to do an exposé on the guy who's the face of the group and virtually anonymous to Ottawa? We don't need a similar story on Reynolds because he's quantified and has been in the public sphere for 20+ years. Other bidders come from reliable and well-known businesses that don't require a similar effort to "face" them to an audience and city that doesn't know them that well. Although, character pieces could be of great interest.

Neko Sparks? Virtually unknown. No business background to speak of - or one that is visible from some pretty thorough digging on the internet. No information on the money behind him. No information on the 12+ individuals involved - only rumours. No indication of why an LA based group with no experience in real estate would be interested in a pro franchise/multi-billion dollar real estate investment in a small market Canadian city. No indication of why they're still sourcing Canadian investors, approximately a few weeks out from final bids.

Why is the most prominent journalist that covers the team not interested in providing any of the context the readers are asking for? J-school 101: Who? What? Where? Why? When? For a guy with 20+ years of professional experience that kind of thing should be muscle memory at this point, no?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
If you're reporting on a group, don't you think it would be interesting to your readership to do an exposé on the guy who's the face of the group and virtually anonymous to Ottawa? We don't need a similar story on Reynolds because he's quantified and has been in the public sphere for 20+ years. Other bidders come from reliable and well-known businesses that don't require a similar effort to "face" them to an audience and city that doesn't know them that well. Although, character pieces could be of great interest.

Neko Sparks? Virtually unknown. No business background to speak of - or one that is visible from some pretty thorough digging on the internet. No information on the money behind him. No information on the 12+ individuals involved - only rumours. No indication of why an LA based group with no experience in real estate would be interested in a pro franchise/multi-billion dollar real estate investment in a small market Canadian city. No indication of why they're still sourcing Canadian investors, approximately a few weeks out from final bids.

Why is the most prominent journalist that covers the team not interested in providing any of the context the readers are asking for? J-school 101: Who? What? Where? Why? When? For a guy with 20+ years of professional experience that kind of thing should be muscle memory at this point, no?

Mendes reports like a fan. Ever heard him talk about the Cowboys? It's what's so relatable about him. His reporting on the Sparks group is fan-like fascinatino with the diversity angle and the mystery celebrity, now known to be Snoop. That's what Ian brings, and I love him for it. He's not and in-depth investigative reporter.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
there's some old horse betting theory about when the money is split on the favourites, bet on the long shot. Not sure Andlauer can be considered a long shot, but everyone seems to have him in the "and that other guy" category. I would not be surprised to find he's been doing business while everyone else has been doing theatre.
I like quiet , boring money. We had a circus for the last 6 years and I would rather not have another one

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Because it would be premature at this stage to do so. I haven’t seen a Rocco Tullio or Andlauer or Kimel exposé either. Why does Sparks get the gears? At this stage?

You can bet the farm that as the buds dwindle down there will be more depth to the contenders. Guaranteed there are people scurrying behind the scenes figuring out everything and anything about all these bids at the right time

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Because it would be premature at this stage to do so. I haven’t seen a Rocco Tullio or Andlauer or Kimel exposé either. Why does Sparks get the gears? At this stage?

You can bet the farm that as the buds dwindle down there will be more depth to the contenders. Guaranteed there are people scurrying behind the scenes figuring out everything and anything about all these bids at the right time
Why would you need an exposé about the financial capabilities of people who are easily searchable on Google. For example, I searched "Rocco Tullio" on Google and it gave me hits on his business dealings, an article about making an offer in 2021 to Melnyk for $650M to buy the Senators, stories about the Oshawa Generals, his work as a real-estate developer, etc.

Andlauer is a minority owner of the Canadiens. The Kimels were minority owners of the Penguins. No one is wondering whether they can afford an NHL franchise. No one is wondering whether the Andlauer Healthcare Group is actually a real business. You wanna know what companies the Kimels are invested in? Here's a page with real companies you can find: Investments Under Management – Harlo Entertainment

I searched "Neko Sparks" and the first 3 pages were articles about him trying to buy the Senators. I don't care if there's stuff going on behind the scenes. I'm asking why the team's most prominent journalist doesn't seem to have any interest in telling us about a comically opaque group out of LA who want to buy the Senators and the face of that bid who is not a known quantity. It's extremely relevant right now as a storyline, compounded by the fact it's the offseason for the team and this is arguably the biggest story for the Senators since Melnyk bought the team 20 years ago. Instead he's writing soft PR for them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad