Ian Cole accused of grooming/sexually abusing a minor; Cole Suspended By Tampa Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you believe the victim and accept what she says happened as fact, then you would have to conclude that Cole is a rapist. You can't have it both ways.

Why can't you have it both ways? Why does it matter to you that we "must know" what exactly happened? If we lack enough evidence, we can just accept both sides for what it is and move on. You don't have to pick one side over another. It's basically a Schrodinger's cat situation.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
who the f*** thinks, 'you know what, i feel like f***ing with Ian Cole of all people and flipping their world upside down'
Who truly knows, it’s likely not a single person here knows Cole off ice and what he’s like. If it was a post designed to cripple his reputation and career, it’s probably from someone who knows him personally and wants serious revenge for a variety of reasons, not some aggrieved fan. But the poster is correct, this is setting a precedent. I’m not saying you don’t investigate the claim and treat it seriously, but what is in fact stopping someone from doing this towards a big name player that their favourite team is about to play? How do you say well in this instance, it’s likely made up and is a hoax, without being seen as someone who doesn’t trust victims and believe women? You’d have to suspend the player until you can confirm or deny the claim. Maple leafs are set to begin game 1 of the playoffs against Tampa again or Boston and a deranged fan decides to create a burner account, type out a long and seemingly believable story about him raping them while he was in Switzerland or while on the road in a city, and now what does the NHL and Leafs do? Ignore it? Can’t really do that because what if there’s a 1% chance it’s real? I know people will say well nobody should ever do this and they’d be correct, it’s abhorrent and unethical beyond belief, but we all know people are nuts and are willing to do almost anything.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Why can't you have it both ways? Why does it matter to you that we "must know" what exactly happened? If we lack enough evidence, we can just accept both sides for what it is and move on. You don't have to pick one side over another.

I'm not picking one side over another. We are still in Step 1 and its impossible to pick a side right now because we don't know anything other than somebody made an accusation via Twitter.

And we don't need to know "exactly" what happened, but I would hope that an accusation as serious as this would have some evidence to back it up. I would have to imagine there are text messages that have been sent between the two that might shed some light on this.

If you say that you believe this person was raped, then by definition, you are calling Cole a rapist are you not? What other possible explanation could you have after you've made the decision to accept a Twitter post as fact?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If you believe the victim and accept what she says happened as fact, then you would have to conclude that Cole is a rapist. You can't have it both ways.

People don't perceive realities the same way, and rape (...well, nearly all criminal infractions) has a intent element that's required for a guilty verdict.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Coming in and questioning the validity of the supposed victim is not the moral high ground that you seem to think it is.
Nobody should be looking to take a moral high ground based on what we know here. It doesn’t do anything other then satisfy your own ego. Based on an anonymous letter, unless we have nothing else to go off of, you’d be an idiot to take a strong stance one way or another. Saying things like I “believe this victim” in this instance is nothing more than naked virtue signalling considering we don’t even have a name or know if this person exists. Nobody is saying he’s truly innocent either, how would we know? I know it’s been said, but I honestly could find out your identity, write out A detailed and plausible story ahout you raping me while in college or at your place of employment, and then you’re now guilty. Everyone needs to believe me because I’m the said victim, and I don’t even have to provide you with any text messages, pictures, videos, etc. or anything to prove it happened. I get evidence is hard to come by in SA cases and especially the longer it takes for it to be reported, but if all you need is a story, everyone is vulnerable as I’m sure everyone has 1-2 people in their life who doesn’t like them and may be willing to do anything to hurt them.

Reactions: MuckOG

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The gesture actually happened though, the only thing that's debatable is the intention of it.

This isn't a case where there's much room for interpretation. Not really a great example.
It’s actually a very good example, and upon further review it’s been proven it wasn’t even a monkey gesture. Most people here used the fact his teammates didn’t rush to his defence as proof it was a racist gesture, when that’s been debunked. But nobody ever admits they were wrong or made a rash decision, because that doesn’t carry any currency in this climate. There are still people saying Jordan Subban was a victim of a racist act to this day. That narrative will never change

Reactions: novisor

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
What I don't understand is how these teams can do "investigations". Do they hire outside firms to do this? Why aren't the cops involved? I also do not think it is fair to suspend a player (without pay?) based on an anonymous accusation from twitter, with no corroborating evidence. Seems ridiculous to me how quickly people abandon someone these days simply from an accusation. Until he is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, we should refrain from judgement and/or this cringeworthy mob mentality / cancel culture. I am not saying he will be innocent, but he is certainly not guilty yet either.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
One of the more annoying trends that come into threads like this is the dismissive comments, such as "oh hockey culture isn't that bad, look at X culture, and X culture!"

Just this compulsive need to prove that the sport they played, or like the most, doesn't have an issue.

You can love the sport and still acknowledge it's f***ed up, that the culture is toxic and needs to be fixed. Being a hockey player or hockey being your favorite sport doesn't make you complicit in what is happening in it or behind the scenes. No more than liking a Michael Jackson song makes you complicit in the things that happened at Neverland ranch.

We can't do better until we realize there's a problem. Our problem doesn't have to be less of a problem than another sport, it doesn't have to be more, we just have to acknowledge that it's a problem and be willing to make the necessary changes, have the right conversations and empower people who witness these things to stand up, say something and prevent it, not high five them, or have a laugh and let it continue.

We don't know if these allegations are true yet but even if these ones in particular aren't, there's been enough that have been, and there's been enough hazing incidents in our recent pasts, and enough of us have been in locker rooms at various stages and levels of hockey.. to know that the behavior, the conversations and the treatment of women in locker-rooms is not the way we would want our daughters to be treated, at minimum.
I think the issue is nobody ever has any ideas on how to fix it, and frankly, the main issue is claiming it’s the culture that produces it. These acts sometimes are conducted by hockey players, yes, but that person may also play
People can write long treatises about the culture being toxic all they want (and they have for many decades now), but the culture ultimately is driven by the people in it, and the people in it at the ground floor are 14-17 year old boys with a lived experience that is often quite different from the people who write those treatises.

Those teenage boys turn into young adult pros who turn into coaches turn into GMs. But if you think this is all down to those coaches infusing this culture into the kids and 'passing on' their sins, well, you have forgotten your own youth clearly and the dynamics of teenage life. It's certainly much more complex than that.
Well said. The culture
Typical hockey bro. Rich, white, entitled, cishet, and thinking he's above the law. Lock him up until he can prove himself innocent (like that'll happen.)
posts like this and people who use this language (cishet) are a big problem in society and actually more dangerous to a democracy than most people think. It’s the type of person that could kill a man and justify it away pretty easily. We’ve all heard of religious killings where the accused is deemed guilty of many traits, all out of their control, to justify the act.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What I don't understand is how these teams can do "investigations". Do they hire outside firms to do this? Why aren't the cops involved? I also do not think it is fair to suspend a player (without pay?) based on an anonymous accusation from twitter, with no corroborating evidence. Seems ridiculous to me how quickly people abandon someone these days simply from an accusation. Until he is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, we should refrain from judgement and/or this cringeworthy mob mentality / cancel culture. I am not saying he will be innocent, but he is certainly not guilty yet either.
- Ian Cole is suspended with pay.
- The cops were probably not involved in whatever the Lightning did, other than to possibly pick up phones and telling them if they're investing or not (and even then...), because police departments are public agencies who have more pressing things to care about than the personnel movements of the TB Lightning.

Reactions: AzHawk

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I agree with you. That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. The bar absolutely needs to be high to CONVICT someone.

My point is that the bar is so (rightfully) high to convict someone, that what about those who fall right under that bar? Those where we're 98% sure they did the crime? Are we not allowed to think negatively of them? Opinions are not bound by law. These things are not as black as white as the law. What about OJ Simpson? Are people not allowed to think he killed his wife because his case did not meet that really high bar?

Do you have any evidence that the person making these allegations is lying?

Is there any evidence this person exists? It's an pseudo named, anon twitter account.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you say that you believe this person was raped, then by definition, you are calling Cole a rapist are you not? What other possible explanation could you have after you've made the decision to accept a Twitter post as fact?
This may be getting a little philosophical. You don't have to make that leap. Outside of the court of law, we can live in a world where we can both believe her and not call Cole a rapist.

All I'm trying to say is that the default for these accusations should not be "she may be lying" when there isn't a single shred of evidence that she is lying.

Is there any evidence this person exists? It's an pseudo named, anon twitter account.
I suspect the current NHL investigation is based on these types basic facts, and not if Cole "did it". I suspect there's more to this story that is known by the NHL that is not publicly available. Otherwise, we likely wouldn't have seen a suspension.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

This may be getting a little philosophical. You don't have to make that leap. Outside of the court of law, we can live in a world where we can both believe her and not call Cole a rapist.

All I'm trying to say is that the default for these accusations should not be "she may be lying" when there isn't a single shred of evidence that she is lying.

The default position should be taking no position. We have no evidence of this person's credibility one way or another. They could be telling the 100% truth (or her interpretation of the what happened) or not. Let the investigation play out, or at least make some evidence public before coming to judge fact from fiction.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Who truly knows, it’s likely not a single person here knows Cole off ice and what he’s like. If it was a post designed to cripple his reputation and career, it’s probably from someone who knows him personally and wants serious revenge for a variety of reasons, not some aggrieved fan. But the poster is correct, this is setting a precedent. I’m not saying you don’t investigate the claim and treat it seriously, but what is in fact stopping someone from doing this towards a big name player that their favourite team is about to play? How do you say well in this instance, it’s likely made up and is a hoax, without being seen as someone who doesn’t trust victims and believe women? You’d have to suspend the player until you can confirm or deny the claim. Maple leafs are set to begin game 1 of the playoffs against Tampa again or Boston and a deranged fan decides to create a burner account, type out a long and seemingly believable story about him raping them while he was in Switzerland or while on the road in a city, and now what does the NHL and Leafs do? Ignore it? Can’t really do that because what if there’s a 1% chance it’s real? I know people will say well nobody should ever do this and they’d be correct, it’s abhorrent and unethical beyond belief, but we all know people are nuts and are willing to do almost anything.
that's a lot of assumptions and what if's

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
that's a lot of assumptions and what if's
Of course, I’m just trying to brainstorm a variety of possible situations, since what we have to go off of is very hard to verify one way or the other.

lol are we to suddenly question everyone because of one sensationalized court case
A healthy dose of skepticism is generally always a good rule of thumb. An open mind to a variety of possibilities is good

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I know it’s been said, but I honestly could find out your identity, write out A detailed and plausible story ahout you raping me while in college or at your place of employment, and then you’re now guilty.
No, I wouldn't be guilty. Don't confuse the public being disgusted by a story with actual guilt. If Cole is completely innocent, any investigation will very quickly be shut down and his name will be cleared.

And no, it's not easy to write a "detailed and plausible" story about getting raped by someone you've never met. Also, try to come up with a reason for why you would accuse a totally random person of that. Just one reason. And now make that random person Ian Cole. Why him? Out of everyone in the world? If this story is 100% fabricated, why Ian Cole?

It’s actually a very good example, and upon further review it’s been proven it wasn’t even a monkey gesture.
How is it a good comparable? This isn't a situation that is up for interpretation. If even 50% of this story happened, Cole is a complete scumbag. The only comparable would be if the gesture not only didn't happen, but the players were never on the same hockey rink and never interacted.

Reactions: AzHawk

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I suspect the current NHL investigation is based on these types basic facts, and not if Cole "did it". I suspect there's more to this story that is known by the NHL that is not publicly available. Otherwise, we likely wouldn't have seen a suspension.

With the crap Hockey Canada is going through, the only move is immediate suspension with pay the moment the allegation hit major coverage.

It's Ian Cole, not Kucherov. If it was a bigger named player maybe it would play out differently.

If they had more facts, it would be without pay.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Of course, I’m just trying to brainstorm a variety of possible situations, since what we have to go off of is very hard to verify one way or the other.

A healthy dose of skepticism is generally always a good rule of thumb. An open mind to a variety of possibilities is good
i prefer my method: knowing that false accusations of rape are very rare

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The default position should be taking no position. We have no evidence of this person's credibility one way or another. They could be telling the 100% truth (or her interpretation of the what happened) or not. Let the investigation play out, or at least make some evidence public before coming to judge fact from fiction.
This type of mentality is exactly the reason lots of women refuse to report rape. By taking no position, you are implying that she must be judged on her credibility before we can believe her. That means the victim is suddenly defacto on trial for potentially lying, (lying about rape is an incredibly rare thing) without a single shred of evidence whatsoever. The last thing a victim wants is to be on trial.

If you truly want to take no position, you should choose to believe the victim, while simultaneously not judging the accused.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No, I wouldn't be guilty. Don't confuse the public being disgusted by a story with actual guilt. If Cole is completely innocent, any investigation will very quickly be shut down and his name will be cleared.

And no, it's not easy to write a "detailed and plausible" story about getting raped by someone you've never met. Also, try to come up with a reason for why you would accuse a totally random person of that. Just one reason. And now make that random person Ian Cole. Why him? Out of everyone in the world? If this story is 100% fabricated, why Ian Cole?

If we are playing the what if game, an easily plausable answer would be his ex. There are stories about him cheating on his fiancé/wife aren't there?

A vengeful ex out for blood is a reasonable explanation for why Ian Cole.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Exactly. She's the one being accused by you of lying. The burden of proof is not on the person being accused. Do you have any proof from your accusation towards her that she is lying?
Out of curiosity, do you have any proof that the author of the "Emily Smith" post is even a female?

I don't think there's even enough substance to warrant a suspension here unless and until there is some tie to a bona fide complainant.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad