Ian Cole accused of grooming/sexually abusing a minor; Cole Suspended By Tampa Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Did it occur to anyone that maybe Tampa knows more than we do? That maybe they're conferring with the accuser and not just launching an investigation into what font was used for the post?
It’s possible but it’s highly unlikely imo. What’s more likely is they see the climate around hockey and how Hockey Canada has been dealt with publicly, and are not wanting to be in a similar boat of waiting too long to make a decision.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The reason for the anonymity is pretty plausible though. Let's not pretend a non-anonymous accuser wouldn't be attacked in a multide of horrible ways. There was a female journalist who somewhat backed up the accuser's story with some comments about creepy behaviour from Cole. What happened? Countless comments attacking her looks, her opinions, her work. There is no such a perfect victim in the eyes of those who always side with the men.
If that reporter is Sara civian, it means nothing. She’s very good friends with Abby Labar and she has very good reason to not like Cole. Her opinion means nothing in this instance

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think we have enough instances lately of people being falsely accused in the court of public opinion to take all of this stuff with a grain of salt until something of actual substance comes out...and No...someone saying this happened to them isn't anything of substance. Evidence please. This is a persons life and livelihood we are talking about - there needs to be more than an accusation.

Duke lacrosse team - fake
Patrick Kane - no evidence to support claims
Trevor Bauer - evidence doesn't support the claims
Etc...etc..etc...

This - Believe the "victim" stuff has to stop. Believe the evidence...anyone can say anything at any time with little to no consequences for lying.

Lets just wait and see on this one. Guy could be guilty as sin, but its going to require more than someone making an accusation.
Look up the “Duluth Model”. It’s purely ideology and a way to take down powerful people. Any accusation is legit and if you deny it, that’s further proof it happened. Only option is to believe the victim, and if no evidence is presented, it doesn’t matter.

Exactly. She's the one being accused by you of lying. The burden of proof is not on the person being accused. Do you have any proof from your accusation towards her that she is lying?
Are you unwell? She’s the one making the allegation. It’s on her to provide said evidence of it happening. Nobody is accusing her of lying, just that nobody sane is willing to label the guy as a rapist based on this one letter. Taking a wait and see approach does not equate to believing she is lying.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Although I get the seriousness of these allegations, it’s troubling that in today’s day and age, literally anybody could make a burner account and accuse somebody of something awful and bring them down without a shred of evidence.

I wouldn’t be surprised either way and if it’s true, I hope they lock him up and throw away the key but holy shit guys. Literally any of us could create an anonymous Twitter account and type this kind of stuff. Let’s at least wait and see before we call for his death and the arrest of posers who don’t think we should bring in the firing squad right yet

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
These allegations sound extremely credible. The anonymous letter is simply too detailed and specific in terms of abuse to be a fabrication. It is also corroborated by a public figure that described a similar pattern of narcissistic abuse.

The Lightning would have no choice but to suspend the player in a situation like this but they surely know this has legs. It's not a he said she said type of thing. If she comes forward her status will be vetted and the abuse will be corroborated by another credible victim.

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
Look up the “Duluth Model”. It’s purely ideology and a way to take down powerful people. Any accusation is legit and if you deny it, that’s further proof it happened. Only option is to believe the victim, and if no evidence is presented, it doesn’t matter.
Ummm, what? I looked it up. It's a model developed to prevent people convicted of domestic abuse from repeating violence via dialogue. It also seems fairly effective at that.

I get the criticism on the foundation of the model, which was based on fairly rigid concepts, eg. There is always an element of males wanting more power over their partner which leads to battery, while in reality there could be a number of other reasons. But you know what, even the main creator of the model gets this criticism. Her words (Via Wikipedia):

By determining that the need or desire for power was the motivating force behind battering, we created a conceptual framework that, in fact, did not fit the lived experience of many of the men and women we were working with. The DAIP staff [...] remained undaunted by the difference in our theory and the actual experiences of those we were working with [...] It was the cases themselves that created the chink in each of our theoretical suits of armor. Speaking for myself, I found that many of the men I interviewed did not seem to articulate a desire for power over their partner. Although I relentlessly took every opportunity to point out to men in the groups that they were so motivated and merely in denial, the fact that few men ever articulated such a desire went unnoticed by me and many of my coworkers. Eventually, we realized that we were finding what we had already predetermined to find.
Another problematic thing about the model is that it doesn't recognize same-sex or female-male domestic violence. But it wasn't created for those purposes. The creators of the model originally worked exclusively with male-female battery cases so naturally that's what they developed the model for. If this is a basis for dismissing the whole thing then you could dismiss practically any model developed for any purpose since models never are perfect.

But still, with this criticism in mind, I don't really see your point. You're seriously arguing that an effective model created for this purpose (again, for convicted batterers) is somehow a bad thing??

Edit: Fair enough, more recent research points that it's not as effective as believed earlier. But I still fail to see your point on how this is in any way related to what you said ("Any accusation is legit and if you deny it, that’s further proof it happened. Only option is to believe the victim, and if no evidence is presented, it doesn’t matter") since this model is for people actually convicted of crimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
All the time... Especially a public figure. I used to think like you though.

I am fairly prominent, especially within my field/community. (I reach 45k+ on social, multiple [small] businesses, in the spotlight) & I had TWO people accuse me of terrible things throughout my life out of spite, jealousy, pettiness to destroy my reputation (2 'friends' n my field of work)

One, named Ginny for short, apologized FOR me because she said someone she knew was gossiping/lying about me (wasn't even her saying it!)

Another claimed to be my friend and we were in frequent contact until I started blowing up financially and then I guess only then I inappropriately 'touched' her-- despite being 'friends' and in contact via phone.

No legal consequences because an actual cop would know she's full of s*** (so they were never involved) but DID affect me reputationally I believe. It's very believable when a woman accuses. That's actually the PROBLEM.

That's why it's a JOKE when people say jUsT bElIeVe WoMeN. If you're a public figure, you'd be better off trusting your government sometimes.

Don't JUsT bElIeVe ANYONE without evidence.
This is why I hate jumping to conclusions with these things.

Lying absolutely DOES happen, and I'd argue it's a lie more often than it isn't if you're a legit public figure whom people emulate/admire/envy.

*Note: I am NOT defending Cole. Very punchable face. But justice is justice. And just thought my take might be useful to someone.
Anecdotal stories have zero weight. None.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Can't imagine being some of you posturing would feel if someone did this to you.

A random tweet with no other context or evidence accusing someone of sexual conduct with minors. This anonymous and random tweet is enough to destroy someone's life?

He denied it. So we have a random anonymous accusation and the person denying it flat out. So all the holier than thou posters in here who have decided it's true believe this because why? What's to stop anyone from doing this to another person?

There's not much corroborated information, this "person" didn't even go to the police with the accusations. A social media post is what we're going based off of? Could be an angry friend, ex, family member, a million things with the way social media is.

If he's guilty I look forward to his prison term for being a POS.

If he's not I look forward to reading all these posts of those wishing him ill, being glad he could lose his job, and thinking a random social media post should be taken as more fact than what someone has to say.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Can't imagine being some of you posturing would feel if someone did this to you.

A random tweet with no other context or evidence accusing someone of sexual conduct with minors. This anonymous and random tweet is enough to destroy someone's life?

He denied it. So we have a random anonymous accusation and the person denying it flat out. So all the holier than thou posters in here who have decided it's true believe this because why? What's to stop anyone from doing this to another person?

There's not much corroborated information, this "person" didn't even go to the police with the accusations. A social media post is what we're going based off of? Could be an angry friend, ex, family member, a million things with the way social media is.

If he's guilty I look forward to his prison term for being a POS.

If he's not I look forward to reading all these posts of those wishing him ill, being glad he could lose his job, and thinking a random social media post should be taken as more fact than what someone has to say.
Just food for thought...he has an in person hearing. The NHL most likely has info that Cole doesn't think they have. They will ask basic questions leading him into a corner. It won't take much more than some text messages between the two to confirm most of her story, dates, etc. Cole is walking into a trap. JMHO...but they aren't going to go....is this true? Cole...no, Ok we are done here. There's way more behind the scenes going on. We'll see but this meeting is a set up.

Reactions: Chips

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I'm sure the judge will take that into account when selecting the jury for this trial and exclude Tarheel. I am unsure, however, what relevance that has to this thread.
I concur.

1665548047415.gif

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Although I get the seriousness of these allegations, it’s troubling that in today’s day and age, literally anybody could make a burner account and accuse somebody of something awful and bring them down without a shred of evidence.

I wouldn’t be surprised either way and if it’s true, I hope they lock him up and throw away the key but holy shit guys. Literally any of us could create an anonymous Twitter account and type this kind of stuff. Let’s at least wait and see before we call for his death and the arrest of posers who don’t think we should bring in the firing squad right yet
Has he been brought down yet? It’s in the early stages, they’re looking at it and investigating. He’s suspended with pay.

Patrick Kane rebounded from bad accusations, Evander rebounded and rebounded and rebounded from accusations over like 10 years, others.

They’re handling it the right away, if they find nothing he will be back. If he isn’t back soon then they probably found at least some questionable (for him) evidence. In fact there was a slight delay before the league publicly addressed it, for all we know they had contacted the woman already, just message the account and get a response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad