Post-Game Talk: I would simply kill a penalty

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Am I the only one who thinks that even if Strome or Kubalik signed here, their offence would flatline as well?
On the 3rd line maybe but Kubalik would likely destroy it on Drai's line. Doesn't really solve the bottom 6 scoring issue perhaps but at least we wouldn't have Yamamonogoals in the top 6.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
On the 3rd line maybe but Kubalik would likely destroy it on Drai's line. Doesn't really solve the bottom 6 scoring issue perhaps but at least we wouldn't have Yamamonogoals in the top 6.

Strome and Kubalik in place of Puljuarvi and Yamamoto give the Oilers an extra 5-8 goals on the season EASY.

That probably accounts for 2 extra wins in place of losses at least.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
If I was the coach, I would literally get these guys to play the most boring AF, simple, and dumbed down hockey known to man for 2 weeks or most of November. So boring that our fans start complaining about it.

It's like a golf swing. Build it piece by piece. Lets see if this personnel can even play that way. Ingrain it into them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Yamamoto effect.

Although I'm not really sure why you consider him "ass" at 5v5. I'm pretty sure he's a plus player and has a decent number of ES points. Enlighten me about what I'm missing.

Ass relative to expectations. He's only scoring one 5v5 point every two or three games. He's too good to be 4th on the team in 5v5 points.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I wonder if he's still not 100% from the injuries he sustained last year.

Drai is unfortunately playing like tunnel vision Drai of the past. I dont think he's injured. Just mental thing if anything.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Ass relative to expectations. He's only scoring one 5v5 point every two or three games. He's too good to be 4th on the team in 5v5 points.
Fair enough. I wonder if the lack of finish from teammates may be a factor. In the NJ game alone, he should have had at least 5 ES points. Blown opportunities by Yamamoto (shocking), Bouchard, and Ceci were especially egregious. Hopefully the demotion of Yamamoto will help that cause.

Reactions: McDNicks17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Drai is unfortunately playing like tunnel vision Drai of the past. I dont think he's injured. Just mental thing if anything.

I feel like when Drai struggles he turns into playmaker Drai. Right now he has basically the exact same individual scoring chance numbers as Puljujarvi.

The dude needs to just take over and shoot more. Some linemates that can actually pass the puck would help too.

Reactions: Duke74 and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This shit is so overrated. The team is actually not allowing any more goals even now than they did in the playoffs. Keith did dick all leadership wise when the team was cratering for an entire month.

We allow a lot of goals against because our GMs refuse to spend and upgrade the D because they delude themselves into thinking Broberg or someone like that is the missing piece.
You can keep stating mistruths, they still are fabrications. Last night I corrected you on several pts you flat out fabricated. Why do that? The D is worse now than it has been. you keep moving yardsticks. now you're saying its same as playoffs. last night you were saying things proved wrong.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We don't know how expensive Bouchard is going to cost. Trading Barrie and then finding out Bouchard prices himself off the team will screw ourselves over. Bouchard isn't exactly that good either.
My idea is to put Bouchard on the third pairing and find a right d to play with Nurse or anchor a second pairing

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can keep stating mistruths, they still are fabrications. Last night I corrected you on several pts you flat out fabricated. Why do that? The D is worse now than it has been. you keep moving yardsticks. now you're saying its same as playoffs. last night you were saying things proved wrong.

What was their GA in the playoffs and what is their GA this year?

What was their record in the playoffs and what is it now?

One thing this franchise and fanbase needs to do frankly is stop with the deifying of every playoff run. Its not some magic that occured or some gargantuan triumph of leadership. They were better than a couple of teams and not as good as the best team in the league.

And they gave up a shit ton of GA in the playoffs too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Drai being ass at 5v5 is definitely a big problem this season too.

RNH sucking there is to be expected(the guy has one more 5v5 point than Derek Ryan), but Drai usually isn't this bad.

I just dont see much juice in Draisaitls game 5 on 5. To be fair to him, could be coming off the injury. Could also just be that hes playing too much. I just dont really see him amp it up (effort wise) unless hes playing with McDavid honestly.

Hes usually not this bad defensively wise though. Could be injury or stamina related though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What was their GA in the playoffs and what is their GA this year?

What was their record in the playoffs and what is it now?

One thing this franchise and fanbase needs to do frankly is stop with the deifying of every playoff run. Its not some magic that occured or some gargantuan triumph of leadership. They were better than a couple of teams and not as good as the best team in the league.

And they gave up a shit ton of GA in the playoffs too.
Do you even forget what you post? Last night your whole position was that the Oilers were shit defensively under Tippett and just as bad as now. When I gave you the two season breakdown of GA numbers you said that was all due to Smith. Even though the Oilers have better goalies now than 40yr old Smith. I'm a Smith fan saying that. The present schemes are absolute crap and resulting in Ga in pk and EV. I never even mentioned playoffs last year. The Oilers were giving up a shitload of GA last year in playoffs and finding away to outscore them.

We're almost dead last in pk in league. The first logical place to place blame would be coaching.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah I just dont see much juice in Draisaitls game 5 on 5. To be fair to him, could be coming off the injury. Could also just be that hes playing too much. I just dont really see him amp it up (effort wise) unless hes playing with McDavid honestly.

Hes usually not this bad defensively wise though. Could be injury or stamina related though.
Drai had a lot of difficulty pushing off ice and getting up on one play recently. hardly anybody mentioned it but it looked like injured Drai, and he was also exhausted. its quite possible its either injury, or he's feeling the effects of far less of an offseason. I think it was a mistake for the club to unofficially come togehter so early. The team in the first place is not used to playing games till June. So seasons start a bit of a shocker and frankly Drai looks injured, not fully recovered, or both. I have no idea why the players felt it was important to come together and do unofficial skates early in Septermber and doing dailys from reports. Thats odd, and not reflecting that a season is REALLY long.

McD is of the harder faster variety. he figures if he puts his body through more training hell it'll just reap benefits. Sometimes its just wears you out. Drai has a mammtoh offseason training regimen as well. Wonder if they're doing too much.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
34.5 shots against per game this season is the 2nd most of any Oilers team since they've been in the NHL... the only other year they allowed more was 85/86 (34.7 shots against per game) which was peak Gretzky (215 pts) and peak Coffey (138 pts)... so they could certainly outscore their defensive issues (5.33 goals per game).

Oilers need to get some better offense going if they are going to allow that many chances against.

This is also (by far) the worst PK an Oilers team has ever had... previous low was 74.8% in 2018/19.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Draisaitl HAS to have his feet moving at all times to be effective 5v5.

When he isn't skating that's when he's pissing around dumb passes that essentially only result in turnovers and he doesn't get a lot of scoring looks because he's never in the middle of the ice.

The tell for me - when he gets to the hash marks in the O zone is he driving to the net or stopping up to look for a pass? If he's stopping up that's when he's ineffective.

34.5 shots against per game this season is the 2nd most of any Oilers team since they've been in the NHL... the only other year they allowed more was 85/86 (34.7 shots against per game) which was peak Gretzky (215 pts) and peak Coffey (138 pts)... so they could certainly outscore their defensive issues (5.33 goals per game).

Oilers need to get some better offense going if they are going to allow that many chances against.

This is also (by far) the worst PK an Oilers team has ever had... previous low was 74.8% in 2018/19.

17/18 PK was really, really bad, but only at home for whatever reason. By December I think they were like 60% at home, but 85% on the road or something like that. Add it to the list of random unique things that only this team does.

This year we stink all over the place. This is the worst PK I've ever seen by a mile. Making it to the 1min mark on a PK without getting scored on is a miracle at this point.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yup. Too much disruption and instability is worsening the disconnection between d and forward and within the lines themselves. There was no spark to start the game against an undermanned opponent.

McLeod is too valuable at 3C with the only one getting anything done in bottom six. Personally, I'd move Holloway to a top six wing spot for his energy, engaged game or at worst to 3W to give McLeod a legitimate scoring threat.

Time to bring up veteran Janmark. I'd farm out Foegele.
I don’t think Holloway is quite ready for top 6 duty.

The top 6 worked better last night immediately once McLeod was moved up. It’s worth a shot imo. Yams and Pulju get nothing done there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you even forget what you post? Last night your whole position was that the Oilers were shit defensively under Tippett and just as bad as now. When I gave you the two season breakdown of GA numbers you said that was all due to Smith. Even though the Oilers have better goalies now than 40yr old Smith. I'm a Smith fan saying that. The present schemes are absolute crap and resulting in Ga in pk and EV. I never even mentioned playoffs last year. The Oilers were giving up a shitload of GA last year in playoffs and finding away to outscore them.

We're almost dead last in pk in league. The first logical place to place blame would be coaching.

The PK coaching is a problem, that's on Manson to figure that out because it wasn't that bad last year.

The Oilers allowed 3.687 GA in the playoffs, they are averaging 3.61 GA thus far this year, so it's actually down from the playoffs believe it or not and that's with Campbell going through an adjustment phase (to put it lightly) and the PK falling off a cliff.

Both are too high, but what do you expect, Holland didn't do anything to add to the D group.

Under Tippett the offence was so-so and the defence was also poor (about 3.1 GPG), at the very least now the Oilers have a powerful offence (3rd in the league, should be 1st in the league if Puljujarvi/Foegele/Yamamoto weren't dumbasses). So the Woodcroft Oilers at least score goals, the Tippett Oilers were a team that was good at nothing but special teams.

But Woodcroft/Manson plainly aren't defensive geniuses. To have a better defence the onus is on Holland to go get some better defensive D.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t think Holloway is quite ready for top 6 duty.

The top 6 worked better last night immediately once McLeod was moved up. It’s worth a shot imo. Yams and Pulju get nothing done there.
He's arguably not. But he earned the opportunity out of camp and got hurt. However McLeod is the one constant guy who's head is above water bottom six. It needs some stability there.

Holloway can support a strong pair on second line bringing size, speed and aggressive puck hunting. Some deep water learning but doesn't have to kill it, just play hard, fast hockey as a support player.

Oil looked fairly slow last night. Give Draisaitl a spark plug guy who can play with tempo and support him with physical strength in the board work. Need more shots by this team's elite scorer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's arguably not. But he earned the opportunity out of camp and got hurt. However McLeod is the one constant guy who's head is above water bottom six. Holloway can support a strong pair on second line bringing size, speed and aggressive puck hunting. Some deep water learning but doesn't have to kill it, just play hard, fast hockey as a support player.

Oil looked fairly slow last night. Give Draisaitl a spark plug guy who can play with tempo and support him with physical strength in the board work. Need more shots by this team's elite scorer.

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl McLeod
Janmark Ryan Puljujarvi
Kostin Shore Yamamoto

Should be our forward core. Foegele and Holloway should go to the AHL and we should stop gifting Puljujarvi and Yamamoto top 6 minutes they can't do anything with.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's arguably not. But he earned the opportunity out of camp and got hurt. However McLeod is the one constant guy who's head is above water bottom six. It needs some stability there.

Holloway can support a strong pair on second line bringing size, speed and aggressive puck hunting. Some deep water learning but doesn't have to kill it, just play hard, fast hockey as a support player.

I’d put McLeod in the top 6 and Holloway at 3C.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl McLeod
Janmark Ryan Puljujarvi
Kostin Shore Yamamoto

Should be our forward core. Foegele and Holloway should go to the AHL and we should stop gifting Puljujarvi and Yamamoto top 6 minutes they can't do anything with.
No, I wouldn't move McLeod out of 3C. Continue to grow him as a two-way centre and besides without his abilities the bottom six is a graveyard. Holloway earned his roster spot and deserves more time to find his game. Agree that both Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are bottom six guys right now. Frankly I think they can compete for 3RW maybe flipping as whoever's game is going or opposition.

Need to fortify the goal prevention. That is priority one.

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Holloway
Janmark McLeod Puljujarvi
Shore Ryan Yamamoto

Kostin (maybe)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, I wouldn't move McLeod out of 3C. Continue to grow him as a two-way centre and besides without his abilities the bottom six is a graveyard. Holloway earned his roster spot and deserves more time to find his game. Agree that both Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are bottom six guys right now. Frankly I think they can compete for 3RW maybe flipping as whoever's game is going or opposition.

Need to fortify the goal prevention. That is priority one.

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Holloway
Janmark McLeod Puljujarvi
Shore Ryan Yamamoto

Kostin (maybe)

I don't think Holloway is ready for that, frankly he looks exactly like a prospect who missed basically an entire calendar year of development because of injuries, but eh what can we even do at this point as Holland decided to double down on the Puljujarvi-Yamamoto-Foegele are our "support forwards" experiment. But Holloway is probably not ready for that role.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’d put McLeod in the top 6 and Holloway at 3C.
Easier to 'hide' Holloway as a wing with top end players than hang him with 3C responsibilities on a porous bottom six. The kid earned the job, is now healthy, and should get some runway to support this team with a pretty defined toolkit of size, speed and tenacious puck hunter game. Let him crash boards for Draisaitl and help the super elite get more quality shot opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad