Post-Game Talk: I would simply kill a penalty

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is literally what I was saying from word go with Yama. "how the f*** do they waste a first round pick on a punter thats going to be the smallest player in the league and outlier size? Calgary got guys like Gaudreau with later picks. You don't spend a first on a smurf. All these new age thinkers that think speed skills is ruling hockey. Well Yama doesn't even have either but its what his alleged ticket was. For a small player he's got not close to the skill package.

The board response: "Why do you hate small players" jebus. I even laid out stats on how seldom 153lb players even do anything in the NHL. Really we've got about as much out of this player as its possible to. It was a terrible pick.
I am fine with spending a 2nd on a guy like that...but spending a 1st on Yamamoto after passing on Debrincat is just....baffling.

I remember talking about Yamamoto before he was called up. Wasn't much of a game breaker in the AHL or all that good. When he broke out when he was called out I was proud of him for how he was playing but directly questioned how long he could keep it up at the NHL level against this size of player. He doesn't play a safe game, he doesn't play a high skill game. He likes to forecheck and get in there. Which is admirable but with his size I questioned how long could he keep it up before it really took a toll and slowed him down and effected his game. Unfortunately the answer was not long.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t buy that, for starters beyond being best friends with McDavid, Strome’s agent would 100 percent push for Edmonton given it would probably lead to a career year he could cash on.

Holland overvalues skating ability and was content to run it back with Jesse and Kailer because he’s a do nothing “patient” GM and after getting a little taste of success in the playoffs the whole “fold our hands and sit pat” strategy was predictable.
Strome and a lot of other actual talents would flat out barf if they played here and saw topsix minutes and PP being doled out to nothingburgers like Yamamoto. Its the problem with gifting spots to nothing players and keeping them there. Prospective free agents and their agents always suss up what their general usage would be here. In the Oilers its well established that the topsix is pretty set and that you would just get relegated to bottomsix and limited minutes. Whether it should happen or not. Of course Strome is better, but he wants a role on an aging team where his play and usage will increase on that team. Indeed it will. Credit to someone like Strome that he didn't want to land somewhere where he would be a bit part. he sees the Caps are an aging team and that he will have prominence on that team in a short while.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strome and a lot of other actual talents would flat out barf if they played here and saw topsix minutes and PP being doled out to nothingburgers like Yamamoto. Its the problem with gifting spots to nothing players and keeping them there. Prospective free agents and their agents always suss up what their general usage would be here. In the Oilers its well established that the topsix is pretty set and that you would just get relegated to bottomsix and limited minutes. Whether it should happen or not. Of course Strome is better, but he wants a role on an aging team where his play and usage will increase on that team. Indeed it will. Credit to someone like Strome that he didn't want to land somewhere where he would be a bit part. he sees the Caps are an aging team and that he will have prominence on that team in a short while.
Also playing well on Washington would get him more of a contract than playing well in Edmonton. GMs league wide know the McDavid bump, which is why no one was paying squat for Puljujarvi.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I meant the entire loss wasn’t his fault, it was a team effort. The penalty definitely was 😂
How many times have we seen Bouchard either shoot right into a block thereby creating an odd man rush the other way or freeze like a deer in headlights going "oh f*** this is bad" He could put the puck anywhere there, still ahs time but he shit his pants and then tries crosschecking the guy in the face to evade giving up yet another breakaway.

While I generally state that Bouch is good in Offensive zone and terrible in ownzone his play at the point is scary. Its also why I prefer Barrie on PP. Any day of the week.

In anycase Bouchard had two ratsauce instances in the game that would result in benchings for many players. In the case of Samu it deepsixed his career. Bouchard has carte blanche. he plays like he knows it.

Last edited:

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Bouchard cost us two goals against. Still wanna trade Barrie because Bouchard is just so good?
I just want a good defensive group. I am not attached to any dman on this team. Nurse has been a lot better this year. He is overpaid, but it is what it is. Throw Kulak on the bottom pair. If they traded the other 4, I would NGAF. I would rather be a more boring team and have good dmen than what we see.

One thing this org shows us over and over is that they get attached to their players. They don't have the gonads to just trade a guy who might be good still for a guy who will help us more. That and the pro scouting will probably target a sh** player lol. We wait until our players just sewer their values (Foegele, Yammo, JP)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Also playing well on Washington would get him more of a contract than playing well in Edmonton. GMs league wide know the McDavid bump, which is why no one was paying squat for Puljujarvi.
With the injuries its really worked out perfectly for Strome. I mean he's immediately one of the Caps best players. Good for him actually. I was quite impressed with him yesterday. But man, OV, 37yrs old and being as impactful in the game as McDrai put together. What a statement monster game from OV. May not show up on the stat sheet but he created so much and could have scored a hat trick or had 5 pts with better finish around him. Holy crap do other caps ever pass off on scoring opportunities. Theres a few players there I wouldn't want.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bouchard cost us two goals against. Still wanna trade Barrie because Bouchard is just so good?
I want to trade Barrie cause they are about equal as players but Bouchard is light years cheaper and we can move Barries cap for maybe an actual second pair defender. Neither are strong defensively but Barrie plays on the third pairing making 4.5 mill. I rather Bouchard on the 3rd pairing making ELC money and a Barrie replacement making 4-5mill on the second pairing that actually knows what to do in their own zone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just want a good defensive group. I am not attached to any dman on this team. Nurse has been a lot better this year. He is overpaid, but it is what it is. Throw Kulak on the bottom pair. If they traded the other 4, I would NGAF. I would rather be a more boring team and have good dmen than what we see.
We need different schemes as much as we need different D. Like I was saying last night Ron Low managed to work ordinary D like Jason Smith and Steve Staois into a top pairing. A lot of teams will throw a game plan together that shelters their D. We don't do that at all. Our 3 forward high pressures and jumps create so many counters its incredible. We're basically working for the opposition to have great scoring chances and odd man rushes.

Hockey is basic. Play between the puck and your goal. A lot of probems on D are negated having that kind of scheme. Top players like we have are capable of busting out goals in defensive games. We could be winning games 4-2 instead of losing them 6-4. With this lineup.

Reactions: FlameChampion

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Get a similar feeling. The leadership of this club is different than what the leadership was like in the 80's or even in 97 or 2006.

its why guys like Keith were so important in the room.

Theres something off with the fabric of the club and its hard for the supporting cast here to ever feel they are part of something.

McD has been a hard guy to be around for most of his career. So serious he makes people nervous when theres a misplay. I'm sure more than a few get nervous playing with him. He's intense, and then some. its double edged sword as the intensity makes him great but theres sometimes boiling over. it affects his play in terms of using team mates.

Drai over the last year has become arrogant. its not a change i've liked seeing. Some of the diss stuff he pulls on the ice. I'm not sure how popular it is. he taunts opponents, high sticks them after scoring goals. He;s gotten ugly, not in a good way, in a punk way. needs to stop.

Teams are gearing up for us and love to beat us. Antics contribute to that.
Our leadership doesn't push to elevate their teammates game. Our leadership tries to go win the game themselves. Which can be admirable but it doesn't help the others players. Like hell having Keith and Smith on the bench even when the going got tough and the stars are on the ice, they can be vocal and try and rah rah the guys up. Like even look at the season we had with McLellan. Who was honestly our big leader? Matt Hendricks. Cheering for the guys from the bench, rallying the guys. He didn't play much but he got the boys going.

We don't have that anymore. We go the silent cocky leadership bros.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We need different schemes as much as we need different D. Like I was saying last night Ron Low managed to work ordinary D like Jason Smith and Steve Staois into a top pairing. A lot of teams will throw a game plan together that shelters their D. We don't do that at all. Our 3 forward high pressures and jumps create so many counters its incredible. We're basically working for the opposition to have great scoring chances and odd man rushes.

Hockey is basic. Play between the puck and your goal. A lot of probems on D are negated having that kind of scheme. Top players like we have are capable of busting out goals in defensive games. We could be winning games 4-2 instead of losing them 6-4. With this lineup.
Part of our troubles defensively imo come from our top guys honest belief that if they don't score, no one else will. So they are just so dead set focused on producing offense that they just shit the bed in the defensive zone. Like how many god damn times have you seen McDavid get hemmed in against 4th liners? He is looking for that breakaway, that time to fly the zone because he knows they can't defend him. But, he can't defend them either.

This team, needs to go back to the way it was last year for a bit where the bottom 6 actually saw ice time and was given the opportunity to try and help. We also need the coaching staff to drill into our top 6 that they need to defend too. Our top guys allow so many freaking goals against.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our leadership doesn't push to elevate their teammates game. Our leadership tries to go win the game themselves. Which can be admirable but it doesn't help the others players. Like hell having Keith and Smith on the bench even when the going got tough and the stars are on the ice, they can be vocal and try and rah rah the guys up. Like even look at the season we had with McLellan. Who was honestly our big leader? Matt Hendricks. Cheering for the guys from the bench, rallying the guys. He didn't play much but he got the boys going.

We don't have that anymore. We go the silent cocky leadership bros.
One of the often seen things with Keith here was how much he would talk to players on the bench or on the ice and be supportive of them. He was they guy patting a struggling Koskinen on the back after a bad goal or game and consoling him. He was the guy saying you gotta do that for a team mate. It immediately followed that Drai and McD made simialr comments and offerred similar support after they saw Keith doing it.

We;re missing guys like Keith, Russel, Smith who are big in the room vets. Other people mentioned Hendricks. Some players just are solid vets that know how teams have to be, and how to support each other. McDrai kind of dissociate from those kinds of team roles because they are superstars. Theres a disconnect in talent, and ability, and where one fits. To that end I could see some players like Pulju doing better elsewhere. Even an immense talent like Eberle struggled in the McD shadow. He talked extensively about how hard it was and how each time he missed a chance he'd drill himself into a hole.

Mcdrai are so good that they feed lack of confidence in other players. Its kind of odd. An older OV seems like a different type. He's really grown into so much better of a team guy, but he wasn't always. But the sheer joy of playing with the gifted player at age 37, its infectious to the team mates and it shows. The caps would have every reason to just pull the plug on the season, horrendous injuries through the lineup. But they're battling and OV playing like his life depends on it. I was never more impressed with OV than last night. What an incredible game he played. Maybe he heard Skinner say he wanted to be seeing OV's shot. hooboy.

I want to trade Barrie cause they are about equal as players but Bouchard is light years cheaper and we can move Barries cap for maybe an actual second pair defender. Neither are strong defensively but Barrie plays on the third pairing making 4.5 mill. I rather Bouchard on the 3rd pairing making ELC money and a Barrie replacement making 4-5mill on the second pairing that actually knows what to do in their own zone.
Bouchard is a disaster in own zone. As critical as people are of Barrie he's the one D in our lineup that has shown improvement in GA and limiting chances. Plus Barrie is consummate on PP and a good offensive D. he creates so many plays. Further reliance on Bouch would increase GA.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am fine with spending a 2nd on a guy like that...but spending a 1st on Yamamoto after passing on Debrincat is just....baffling.

I remember talking about Yamamoto before he was called up. Wasn't much of a game breaker in the AHL or all that good. When he broke out when he was called out I was proud of him for how he was playing but directly questioned how long he could keep it up at the NHL level against this size of player. He doesn't play a safe game, he doesn't play a high skill game. He likes to forecheck and get in there. Which is admirable but with his size I questioned how long could he keep it up before it really took a toll and slowed him down and effected his game. Unfortunately the answer was not long.
The anwer was always not long. years ago I stated that a Yama heater would not last longer than 10-20 games. It did only once but mainly because of the kind of legends he was playing with and at a specific time that both Drai and Nuge were really feeling it. People made so much of yama "Making" that line. As if. yama couldn't make a tuna salad sandwich.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
relax everyone, it's gonna be fine, typical ebb in the season, there will be more too. It's a good league!
it's also a bit of a weird year too. many teams are up against it and can't sit underperformers.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

That’s really is a ton of good players out of the lineup. What an embarrassment. Too bad it’s only the fans that seem to feel it.

That's an entire top-6 line and a top defence pairing worth of players (plus a useful middle-6 player and a decent 4th liner). Embarrassing.

Nuge, Hyman, McDavid, Draisaitl all on pace for career seasons, and still the team looks this bad. Just disappointing.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That's an entire top-6 line and a top defence pairing worth of players (plus a useful middle-6 player and a decent 4th liner). Embarrassing.
Yep, Washington is missing their entire team.

Imagine if we showed up without one of McDrai, Kane, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, and Ceci.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yep, Washington is missing their entire team.

Imagine if we showed up without one of McDrai, Kane, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, and Ceci.

Yup. As a part-time Caps fan I was hoping they'd get some luck and some wins, but not against us :(

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We don't know how expensive Bouchard is going to cost. Trading Barrie and then finding out Bouchard prices himself off the team will screw ourselves over. Bouchard isn't exactly that good either.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Drai being ass at 5v5 is definitely a big problem this season too.

RNH sucking there is to be expected(the guy has one more 5v5 point than Derek Ryan), but Drai usually isn't this bad.
The Yamamoto effect.

Although I'm not really sure why you consider him "ass" at 5v5. I'm pretty sure he's a plus player and has a decent number of ES points. Enlighten me about what I'm missing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bouchard is a disaster in own zone. As critical as people are of Barrie he's the one D in our lineup that has shown improvement in GA and limiting chances. Plus Barrie is consummate on PP and a good offensive D. he creates so many plays. Further reliance on Bouch would increase GA.
Barrie was excellent last night. Washington: 22:56; +3; 20:90 ES. He also kept his head above water in the Dallas blow out: 20:09 TOI; +1; 12:32 ES. And he is generally trusted with third line baby sitting role.

Bouchard is showing the up and down yo yo reality of a young NHL defender learning to defend at this level and still inconsistent with his bread and butter PP/offensive game. Unfortunately Barrie is an asset this team needs on a very average d-corp. Bouchard is not ready to run PP1 and his own zone play is a work in progress. No way this team can or should move Barrie as a cap dump. Maybe... maybe you can make a hockey deal to flip him for a harder, veteran shutdown type. But if you do I think it moves Nurse and Bouchard to split PP1 duties.

(Sadly) I've liked Nurse's puck transporter game and o-zone work more than his somewhat chaotic d-zone defending. Oil need a veteran shutdown guy who can lead their corp with a simple, hard game to defend. Rock and a hard spot as this team's d-corp is simply not good enough and the promising youth not developed enough on a team primed and expecting to win now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Get a similar feeling. The leadership of this club is different than what the leadership was like in the 80's or even in 97 or 2006.

Theres something off with the fabric of the club and its hard for the supporting cast here to ever feel they are part of something.

McD has been a hard guy to be around for most of his career. So serious he makes people nervous when theres a misplay. I'm sure more than a few get nervous playing with him. He's intense, and then some. its double edged sword as the intensity makes him great but theres sometimes boiling over. it affects his play in terms of using team mates.

Drai over the last year has become arrogant. its not a change i've liked seeing. Some of the diss stuff he pulls on the ice. I'm not sure how popular it is. he taunts opponents, high sticks them after scoring goals. He;s gotten ugly, not in a good way, in a punk way. needs to stop.

Part of our troubles defensively imo come from our top guys honest belief that if they don't score, no one else will. So they are just so dead set focused on producing offense that they just shit the bed in the defensive zone. Like how many god damn times have you seen McDavid get hemmed in against 4th liners? He is looking for that breakaway, that time to fly the zone because he knows they can't defend him. But, he can't defend them either.

This team, needs to go back to the way it was last year for a bit where the bottom 6 actually saw ice time and was given the opportunity to try and help. We also need the coaching staff to drill into our top 6 that they need to defend too. Our top guys allow so many freaking goals against.

Strome would easily outplay Yamamoto for a top 6 spot.

Holland is just a do nothing GM especially with a little taste of playoff success.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

This shit is so overrated. The team is actually not allowing any more goals even now than they did in the playoffs. Keith did dick all leadership wise when the team was cratering for an entire month.

We allow a lot of goals against because our GMs refuse to spend and upgrade the D because they delude themselves into thinking Broberg or someone like that is the missing piece.

Reactions: Shanahanigans

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If by cheating it means not even checking into the game till its half over. Drai looked like injured Drai again tonight. Its perhaps not a good thing that he learned how to produce without even moving. OV looked yrs younger than Drai tonight.
I wonder if he's still not 100% from the injuries he sustained last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad